BootsnAll Travel Network



Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief.

While in Cusco, Peru, Jim and I had a couple hours to kill before we were to catch a flight to Lima.  We decided just to wander around town.

We were walking in a non-touristy market-y area on a beautiful Saturday morning.  There were lots of people out on the street as you can see in the photo below.

View of Cusco street

I just want to note, than when Jim and I are traveling, the person who is NOT wearing the backpack (is this case I am referring to a small daybag, not a giant backpack) is in charge of keeping an eye on the backpack being worn by the other person.  We are very vigilant about this.  In fact, literally two minutes before the incident happened, we were standing on a bridge and Jim was taking some photos.  I put my arm around his back, over the backpack, while it was exposed to passersby.  This is just an example of how careful we usually are around protecting the bag.  Even when we are walking around, I will stay ever-so-slightly behind Jim just so I can always keep an eye on the bag.

cusco_street1.jpg
The photo Jim took from the bridge a minute before being robbed

Back to the story.  Suddenly, the sidewalk got extremely crowded to the point where all of us were pushed up against each other.  Jim got separated from me and was about one or two people in front of me.  At that moment I realized this was not a good situation and that I better keep a closer eye on him and his bag.

Then I saw that a bird crapped all over the back and side of Jim’s neck.  I saw him sort of turn his head when he realized it happened, but he didn’t really react.  I remembered thinking, “That sucks, we will have to go get him cleaned up.”

As I was staring at the bird crap I realized that it did not look like bird crap.  It looked like spit.

Then, in the next two seconds, a few things happened.  I realized immediately that someone spit on Jim and that it was part of a scam and my brain went into defense mode.  As a backpacker, you have either read or heard about the scam where someone either spits on you, squirts mustard or hand lotion or crap on you, then comes over and helps you clean it off, all while robbing you.  I immediately looked at his backpack and sure enough I saw that the small outer pocket was UNzipped.  I starting yelling to him, “Jim! Your bag! Your bag is open!”  Remember we were in an extremely crowded area.

In that same second, I looked around to see if I could see someone actually robbing him.  There was a small older lady next to me, maybe about four and a half feet tall, and I must have seen her hand on his bag or something – I can’t remember what I saw now – but I knew it was her.  I grabbed her.  I grabbed her arm so she couldn’t get away.  I don’t even remember what I said to her, but likely she didn’t understand since I don’t speak Spanish.  I am still surprised at myself that I actually grabbed her like I did.

Immediately she reached into her pockets to show me she didn’t have anything.  I thought this gave away her guilt that she even knew to show me her pockets’ contents. 

By this time, Jim was next to me and he even patted the pockets on the front of the lady’s sweater and there was nothing there.

I asked him what was in that front pocket of his bag (I had thought it was empty anyway, other than some change).  He said, his iPhone! I couldn’t believe he had his phone in there!

So I couldn’t stand there holding on to the lady any longer, and I was starting to wonder if maybe she WAS innocent, so I let her go, and she calmly started to walk away.

At that moment, two police officers showed up out of nowhere.  I pointed at the lady walking away and exclaimed “She robbed us!”  It felt like a scene from a movie.  Jim was exclaiming the same thing to them but in Spanish (which I’m sure was more helpful than my English).

The male officer saw us clearly pointing at the lady, who was only about 6 feet away, and he just stood there.  He didn’t make any moves to go talk to her or anything.  He just let her go.  We couldn’t believe it.  He just stood there!

Then, I saw a woman standing at the side of the bridge point to the ground.  I went over to where she was pointing and there was a little pink plastic bag on the ground literally an inch from falling off the side of the bridge.  I looked closer and saw the iPhone was inside the bag.

Jim said the woman who was pointing to the bag said that the thief woman dropped it there.

I couldn’t believe we recovered the phone.  My heard was beating fast.

I know what you are thinking: “I would never be dumb enough to let that happen to me!”  Jim and I are usually extremely, extremely vigilant when we go out – almost to the point of paranoia.  All it took was just one moment of laziness.

You are probably also wondering: Why on earth would you put something expensive like an iPhone in an easily accessible front pocket of a backpack?  This was my question for Jim!  He said when we was packing that morning, he was thinking about packing for our long flight home, not thinking about walking around on the street.  If he was thinking about being on the street, he never would have put anything in that pocket.

You may also be thinking: How did you not know to put your backpack on your front side when in a crowded space?  This is another bit of laziness on our part.  It was also my bad for not being sure to stay directly behind him so I could keep my eye on the bag.  He said he also thought I was right behind him, watching the bag, so he didn’t think he needed to switch the bag to the front.

After we found the phone, I wiped the giant mound of spit off Jim’s neck.  It was so gross.  I was actually thankful that he got spit on, though.  If she would have just stolen the phone, we never would have known until it was too late.  But the spit called my attention to the situation.



Tags: , ,

3,426 responses to “Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief.”

  1. What’s up, I desire to subscribe for this weblog to obtain newest updates, so where can i
    do it please assist.

    Feel free to visit my site fx마진거래

  2. Thanks for sharing article like this.
    https://www.casinosite.one/

  3. Thank you for this great article I learn a lot from your article keep it up. https://www.casinosite777.top/

  4. I really like your writing skill, it’s very unique. https://www.casinositeguide.com/

  5. You really work great for this post. Thank you for sharing! https://www.safetotosite.pro/

  6. What does your period blood say about you https://stromectolhome.com/ plaquenil how to buy

  7. OfvdQuign says:

    augmentin la 7 luni reazione allergica antibiotico augmentin how many days do you take augmentin for

  8. EbfdMyday says:

    azithromycin augmentin taken together augmentin csf penetration should you eat with augmentin

  9. NmyrGoata says:

    is 15 mg of prednisone a low dose https://prednisonesdc.com/ prednisone 10mg dose pack

  10. 먹튀검증 says:

    It’s enormous that you are getting ideas from this paragraph as well as from our argument made here.

    Also visit my web page; 먹튀검증

  11. OfvdQuign says:

    is augmentin good to treat a uti https://augmentinsbq.com/ scarlattina antibiotico augmentin

  12. Touche. Great arguments. Keep up the great work.

    My web page: 토토사이트

  13. NmyrGoata says:

    does prednisone stop coughing prednisone and zpack does prednisone cause hair loss in females

  14. Nhtgpeast says:

    how to take amoxicillin https://amoxicillinxry.com/ what is pink amoxicillin used for

  15. HbgdBuisp says:

    what does cephalexin treat tooth infection https://cephalexinuop.com/ can i open cephalexin capsules for dogs

  16. 사설토토 says:

    Hi there, I read your new stuff daily. Your humoristic style is witty, keep doing what
    you’re doing!

    Visit my web page – 사설토토

  17. Hi there, all is going well here and ofcourse every one is
    sharing data, that’s really excellent, keep up writing.

    my webpage … เว็บตรงต่างประเทศ

  18. EnyfMyday says:

    how much is keflex at cvs 250 keflex should be taken with food ? keflex vs bactrim for uti

  19. 사설토토 says:

    You really make it seem really easy along with your presentation however I
    find this topic to be actually one thing which I think I might by no means
    understand. It seems too complex and very huge for me.
    I’m looking ahead in your subsequent post, I will attempt to get the hang of it!

    my page … 사설토토

  20. OgrfQuign says:

    cdc keflex side effects keflex digestive enzymes keflex alternative for skin infection

  21. HbgdBuisp says:

    a nurse is preparing to administer cephalexin 0.25 rilexine cephalexin antibiotic cephalexin

  22. NnscGoata says:

    amoxicillin pink liquid https://amoxicillintve.com/ does amoxicillin treat gonorrhea

  23. EnyfMyday says:

    keflex 4000mg keflex tablet or capsule cephalexin vs keflex

  24. Hello! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website
    with us so I came to give it a look. I’m definitely
    loving the information. I’m bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my followers!
    Excellent blog and wonderful design and style.

    My web blog … 소액결제현금화

  25. totosafesite says:

    what a nice article i found , i was looking it for a long time , i been searching it for so long now that i found out really help me.

    먹튀검증

  26. As I am looking at your writing, I regret being unable to do outdoor activities due to Corona 19, and I miss my old daily life.

  27. gwolf says:

    Thank you. Actually, I run a site similar to you. If you have time, could you visit my site? Please leave your comments after reading what I wrote.

  28. bacarasite says:

    Hello ! I am a student writing a report on the subject of your post.Your article is an article with all the content and topics. I’ve ever wanted

  29. i says:

    If some one needs to be updated with hottest technologies after that he
    must be pay a quick visit this site and be up to date all the time.

  30. Nhtgpeast says:

    yeast infection from amoxicillin https://amoxicillinxry.com/ pediatric dosing amoxicillin

  31. OgrfQuign says:

    can keflex make you nauseous what is keflex 500mg keflex pediatric dosing

  32. EtjcBoolo says:

    do you need to take azithromycin with food azithromycin 500mg tablets azithromycin single dose

  33. EtjcBoolo says:

    travelers diarrhea azithromycin dosage can i buy azithromycin over the counter at walmart azithromycin 250 mg 4 at once

  34. t says:

    Hiya! I know this is kinda off topic but I’d figured I’d ask.
    Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest
    writing a blog post or vice-versa? My site covers a lot of the same topics as yours and I believe we could
    greatly benefit from each other. If you happen to be interested feel free to shoot me an e-mail.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Terrific blog by the way!

  35. Can I drink coffee with my amoxicillin?

    ivermectin dose for scabies https://www.stromectola.com/ ivermectin for people

  36. HbgdBuisp says:

    cephalexin sun exposure cephalexin 500 mg is used for cephalexin dizzy

  37. EgmbMyday says:

    na co je augmentin augmentin vs amox cine a luat augmentin

  38. OvrcQuign says:

    prednisone for eustachian tube dysfunction why does prednisone make you hungry what is considered a high dose of prednisone

  39. HbgdBuisp says:

    cephalexin fish drinking alcohol with cephalexin ceftriaxone and cephalexin

  40. NnolGoata says:

    how long does doxycycline take to work para que sirve doxycycline hyclate 100 mg espanol what happens if you lay down after taking doxycycline

  41. EgmbMyday says:

    augmentin and ambien can i give a dog augmentin augmentin and acetaminophen

  42. Ntvbpeast says:

    can i eat bread while taking ciprofloxacin should i take ciprofloxacin with food ciprofloxacin no prescription

  43. NnolGoata says:

    dog lyme disease treatment doxycycline dose can you drink on doxycycline monohydrate is doxycycline a powerful antibiotic?

  44. r says:

    Hi, I do think this is a great website. I stumbledupon it
    😉 I may revisit yet again since I saved as a favorite it.
    Money and freedom is the greatest way to
    change, may you be rich and continue to guide other people.

  45. Что делать, если украли гос номера с авто?
    дубликат номерных знаков на автомобиле [avto-dublikat.ru] – утром обратился, через 2 часа
    привез курьер домой.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *