BootsnAll Travel Network



Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief.

While in Cusco, Peru, Jim and I had a couple hours to kill before we were to catch a flight to Lima.  We decided just to wander around town.

We were walking in a non-touristy market-y area on a beautiful Saturday morning.  There were lots of people out on the street as you can see in the photo below.

View of Cusco street

I just want to note, than when Jim and I are traveling, the person who is NOT wearing the backpack (is this case I am referring to a small daybag, not a giant backpack) is in charge of keeping an eye on the backpack being worn by the other person.  We are very vigilant about this.  In fact, literally two minutes before the incident happened, we were standing on a bridge and Jim was taking some photos.  I put my arm around his back, over the backpack, while it was exposed to passersby.  This is just an example of how careful we usually are around protecting the bag.  Even when we are walking around, I will stay ever-so-slightly behind Jim just so I can always keep an eye on the bag.

cusco_street1.jpg
The photo Jim took from the bridge a minute before being robbed

Back to the story.  Suddenly, the sidewalk got extremely crowded to the point where all of us were pushed up against each other.  Jim got separated from me and was about one or two people in front of me.  At that moment I realized this was not a good situation and that I better keep a closer eye on him and his bag.

Then I saw that a bird crapped all over the back and side of Jim’s neck.  I saw him sort of turn his head when he realized it happened, but he didn’t really react.  I remembered thinking, “That sucks, we will have to go get him cleaned up.”

As I was staring at the bird crap I realized that it did not look like bird crap.  It looked like spit.

Then, in the next two seconds, a few things happened.  I realized immediately that someone spit on Jim and that it was part of a scam and my brain went into defense mode.  As a backpacker, you have either read or heard about the scam where someone either spits on you, squirts mustard or hand lotion or crap on you, then comes over and helps you clean it off, all while robbing you.  I immediately looked at his backpack and sure enough I saw that the small outer pocket was UNzipped.  I starting yelling to him, “Jim! Your bag! Your bag is open!”  Remember we were in an extremely crowded area.

In that same second, I looked around to see if I could see someone actually robbing him.  There was a small older lady next to me, maybe about four and a half feet tall, and I must have seen her hand on his bag or something – I can’t remember what I saw now – but I knew it was her.  I grabbed her.  I grabbed her arm so she couldn’t get away.  I don’t even remember what I said to her, but likely she didn’t understand since I don’t speak Spanish.  I am still surprised at myself that I actually grabbed her like I did.

Immediately she reached into her pockets to show me she didn’t have anything.  I thought this gave away her guilt that she even knew to show me her pockets’ contents. 

By this time, Jim was next to me and he even patted the pockets on the front of the lady’s sweater and there was nothing there.

I asked him what was in that front pocket of his bag (I had thought it was empty anyway, other than some change).  He said, his iPhone! I couldn’t believe he had his phone in there!

So I couldn’t stand there holding on to the lady any longer, and I was starting to wonder if maybe she WAS innocent, so I let her go, and she calmly started to walk away.

At that moment, two police officers showed up out of nowhere.  I pointed at the lady walking away and exclaimed “She robbed us!”  It felt like a scene from a movie.  Jim was exclaiming the same thing to them but in Spanish (which I’m sure was more helpful than my English).

The male officer saw us clearly pointing at the lady, who was only about 6 feet away, and he just stood there.  He didn’t make any moves to go talk to her or anything.  He just let her go.  We couldn’t believe it.  He just stood there!

Then, I saw a woman standing at the side of the bridge point to the ground.  I went over to where she was pointing and there was a little pink plastic bag on the ground literally an inch from falling off the side of the bridge.  I looked closer and saw the iPhone was inside the bag.

Jim said the woman who was pointing to the bag said that the thief woman dropped it there.

I couldn’t believe we recovered the phone.  My heard was beating fast.

I know what you are thinking: “I would never be dumb enough to let that happen to me!”  Jim and I are usually extremely, extremely vigilant when we go out – almost to the point of paranoia.  All it took was just one moment of laziness.

You are probably also wondering: Why on earth would you put something expensive like an iPhone in an easily accessible front pocket of a backpack?  This was my question for Jim!  He said when we was packing that morning, he was thinking about packing for our long flight home, not thinking about walking around on the street.  If he was thinking about being on the street, he never would have put anything in that pocket.

You may also be thinking: How did you not know to put your backpack on your front side when in a crowded space?  This is another bit of laziness on our part.  It was also my bad for not being sure to stay directly behind him so I could keep my eye on the bag.  He said he also thought I was right behind him, watching the bag, so he didn’t think he needed to switch the bag to the front.

After we found the phone, I wiped the giant mound of spit off Jim’s neck.  It was so gross.  I was actually thankful that he got spit on, though.  If she would have just stolen the phone, we never would have known until it was too late.  But the spit called my attention to the situation.



Tags: , ,

3,404 responses to “Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief.”

  1. Very value able post, I read the whole story when I start reading it. 스포츠중계

  2. JwngtQuign says:

    viagra generic over the counter https://ac3vigra.com/ viagra 10 mg

  3. AwnfBuisp says:

    cialis daily side effects https://crocilismen.com/ cialis 5 mg

  4. WnwgMyday says:

    where can i buy sildenafil 20mg https://ethvigrix.com/ viagra cheap 100mg

  5. Thomasot says:

    buy kamagra online next day delivery buy kamagra soft tabs buy kamagra oral jelly wholesale

  6. EnfnsGoata says:

    buy viagra soft online https://leepvigras.com/ viagra online usa

  7. CharlesPn says:

    Clomid 50 mg
    If three to six cycles of Clomid don’t get up to to pregnancy, inexperienced treatment options may be considered. Six cycles of Clomid is considered to be the pre-eminent limit, nonetheless some healthcare providers advance compelling on if pregnancy doesn’t surface nearby the third treatment cycle.

  8. Andrew says:

    Heya i am for the primary time here. I came across this board and
    I in finding It truly useful & it helped me out a lot.
    I hope to present one thing again and aid others like you aided me. ye (Andrew)

  9. Grosvenor supplies a EUR30 down payment perk for a minimal down payment of EUR20 for new gamers.

    Also visit my website – https://pr6bookmark.com/story14426597/how-to-online-sports-betting-customer-review

  10. BradlySa says:

    It stimulates the leaking of follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), which triggers the ovary to create one or more egg follicles. Clomid also helps activate the opus of estrogen, which in the final analysis triggers a roll of luteinizing hormone (LH). Record levels of LH inspire ovulation or the notice of an egg.

  11. Jefferysr says:

    Can I drink alcohol 3 days after antibiotics and buy azithromycin over the counter?

  12. Learn more says:

    Acquiring the Planet Cup outside of the Americas and Europe had extended been a priority of FIFA
    prior to 2002.

    Also visit my site; Learn more

  13. NolvadexOtc says:

    Tamoxifen is an off-label recourse to manipulation of men an eye to core cancer, infertility, and idiopathic gynecomastia. Lately, best place to Buy Nolvadex has been proposed as a treatment to hinder gynecomastia in prostate cancer patients receiving antiandrogen therapy.

  14. JrvbQuign says:

    buy viagra cheap online https://vivigrix.com/ viagra germany

  15. zithropakcom says:

    Azithromycin pills does not hold back penicillin, making it a applicable antibiotic panacea in return those allergic to penicillin. Can you pub-crawl toast booze if you’re engaging a Z-Pak? Medical providers (and the panacea label) plug not drinking alcohol while charming azithromycin.

  16. EubkBoolo says:

    cialis 20mg tablets https://hoscillia.com/ buycialis

  17. NolvadexOTC says:

    Yes, under the World Anti-Doping Agency Prohibited List, Tamoxifen over the counter is prohibited at all times as an anti-estrogenic substance in the S4 Category of Hormone and Metabolic Modulators.

  18. EtmdGoata says:

    what is tadalafil tablet https://wwcillisa.com/ cost of cialis at costco

  19. AwgdBuisp says:

    tadalafil 10 https://uhdcilise.com/ generic cialis tadalafil 20 mg from india

  20. I was wondering if you ever considered changing the structure of your website?
    Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.

    But maybe you could a little more in the way of
    content so people could connect with it better.
    Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or
    2 pictures. Maybe you could space it out better?

  21. nolvadexotc says:

    A 2020 study demonstrated that coffee cooperates with where to Buy Nolvadex to induce cell-cycle arrest and programmed cell death. Caffeine is necessary for this effect, but not sufficient, indicating that at least one other coffee compound is involved.

  22. website says:

    In the real planet, roulette odds are governed by random possibility, gravity,
    inertia, and the croupier’s personal spin habits.

    Look at myy webpage; website

  23. Priligy pills
    The symptoms of PE in older men are similar to those in younger men, and may include difficulty delaying ejaculation during sexual activity, reduced sexual satisfaction, and relationship problems.

  24. Azithromycin 3 Prime Administer Number is second-hand to use divers other types of infections caused by means of bacteria, including infections of the lungs, sinus, throat, tonsils, pelt, urinary article, cervix, or genitals. order Zithromax over the counter 3 Daylight Measure Heap may also be euphemistic pre-owned looking for purposes not listed in this medication guide.

  25. 6 says:

    I was suggested this blog via my cousin. I’m now not certain whether this publish is written through him as no one
    else realize such distinct about my problem. You’re wonderful!
    Thanks!

  26. 2 says:

    What’s Happening i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve found It positively useful and it
    has helped me out loads. I am hoping to give a contribution & help different customers like its
    helped me. Good job.

  27. I’m glad that i found this type of site, after so many hours of searching of a marvelous site like yours so. Thanks a lot. Feel free to visit my website;
    카지노사이트원

  28. check here says:

    Spend particular attention to terms and conditions written in compact print.

    Also visit my web site … check here

  29. zithromaxday says:

    use of Azithromycin
    Zithromax is not recommended for use in people with liver or kidney disease, as it can cause these conditions to worsen.

  30. Helpful info. Lucky me I discovered your site by chance, and I’m shocked why this accident didn’t came about in advance!
    I bookmarked it.

    Also visit my webpage 먹튀사이트

  31. more info says:

    more info

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  32. Что делать, если украли гос номера с авто?
    жирные номера – утром
    обратился, через 2 часа привез курьер домой.

  33. FlagylTB says:

    buy flagyl pills topical metronidazole over counter flagyl 500 mg buy online

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *