BootsnAll Travel Network



Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief.

While in Cusco, Peru, Jim and I had a couple hours to kill before we were to catch a flight to Lima.  We decided just to wander around town.

We were walking in a non-touristy market-y area on a beautiful Saturday morning.  There were lots of people out on the street as you can see in the photo below.

View of Cusco street

I just want to note, than when Jim and I are traveling, the person who is NOT wearing the backpack (is this case I am referring to a small daybag, not a giant backpack) is in charge of keeping an eye on the backpack being worn by the other person.  We are very vigilant about this.  In fact, literally two minutes before the incident happened, we were standing on a bridge and Jim was taking some photos.  I put my arm around his back, over the backpack, while it was exposed to passersby.  This is just an example of how careful we usually are around protecting the bag.  Even when we are walking around, I will stay ever-so-slightly behind Jim just so I can always keep an eye on the bag.

cusco_street1.jpg
The photo Jim took from the bridge a minute before being robbed

Back to the story.  Suddenly, the sidewalk got extremely crowded to the point where all of us were pushed up against each other.  Jim got separated from me and was about one or two people in front of me.  At that moment I realized this was not a good situation and that I better keep a closer eye on him and his bag.

Then I saw that a bird crapped all over the back and side of Jim’s neck.  I saw him sort of turn his head when he realized it happened, but he didn’t really react.  I remembered thinking, “That sucks, we will have to go get him cleaned up.”

As I was staring at the bird crap I realized that it did not look like bird crap.  It looked like spit.

Then, in the next two seconds, a few things happened.  I realized immediately that someone spit on Jim and that it was part of a scam and my brain went into defense mode.  As a backpacker, you have either read or heard about the scam where someone either spits on you, squirts mustard or hand lotion or crap on you, then comes over and helps you clean it off, all while robbing you.  I immediately looked at his backpack and sure enough I saw that the small outer pocket was UNzipped.  I starting yelling to him, “Jim! Your bag! Your bag is open!”  Remember we were in an extremely crowded area.

In that same second, I looked around to see if I could see someone actually robbing him.  There was a small older lady next to me, maybe about four and a half feet tall, and I must have seen her hand on his bag or something – I can’t remember what I saw now – but I knew it was her.  I grabbed her.  I grabbed her arm so she couldn’t get away.  I don’t even remember what I said to her, but likely she didn’t understand since I don’t speak Spanish.  I am still surprised at myself that I actually grabbed her like I did.

Immediately she reached into her pockets to show me she didn’t have anything.  I thought this gave away her guilt that she even knew to show me her pockets’ contents. 

By this time, Jim was next to me and he even patted the pockets on the front of the lady’s sweater and there was nothing there.

I asked him what was in that front pocket of his bag (I had thought it was empty anyway, other than some change).  He said, his iPhone! I couldn’t believe he had his phone in there!

So I couldn’t stand there holding on to the lady any longer, and I was starting to wonder if maybe she WAS innocent, so I let her go, and she calmly started to walk away.

At that moment, two police officers showed up out of nowhere.  I pointed at the lady walking away and exclaimed “She robbed us!”  It felt like a scene from a movie.  Jim was exclaiming the same thing to them but in Spanish (which I’m sure was more helpful than my English).

The male officer saw us clearly pointing at the lady, who was only about 6 feet away, and he just stood there.  He didn’t make any moves to go talk to her or anything.  He just let her go.  We couldn’t believe it.  He just stood there!

Then, I saw a woman standing at the side of the bridge point to the ground.  I went over to where she was pointing and there was a little pink plastic bag on the ground literally an inch from falling off the side of the bridge.  I looked closer and saw the iPhone was inside the bag.

Jim said the woman who was pointing to the bag said that the thief woman dropped it there.

I couldn’t believe we recovered the phone.  My heard was beating fast.

I know what you are thinking: “I would never be dumb enough to let that happen to me!”  Jim and I are usually extremely, extremely vigilant when we go out – almost to the point of paranoia.  All it took was just one moment of laziness.

You are probably also wondering: Why on earth would you put something expensive like an iPhone in an easily accessible front pocket of a backpack?  This was my question for Jim!  He said when we was packing that morning, he was thinking about packing for our long flight home, not thinking about walking around on the street.  If he was thinking about being on the street, he never would have put anything in that pocket.

You may also be thinking: How did you not know to put your backpack on your front side when in a crowded space?  This is another bit of laziness on our part.  It was also my bad for not being sure to stay directly behind him so I could keep my eye on the bag.  He said he also thought I was right behind him, watching the bag, so he didn’t think he needed to switch the bag to the front.

After we found the phone, I wiped the giant mound of spit off Jim’s neck.  It was so gross.  I was actually thankful that he got spit on, though.  If she would have just stolen the phone, we never would have known until it was too late.  But the spit called my attention to the situation.



Tags: , ,

3,410 responses to “Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief.”

  1. I’m not sure exactly why but this website is loading very slow for me.
    Is anyone else having this issue or is it a issue on my end?
    I’ll check back later on and see if the problem still
    exists.

  2. Hi, i think that i saw you visited my blog thus i came to ?return the favor?.I’m trying to find things to
    improve my site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

  3. I have been browsing on-line greater than three hours as of
    late, yet I never discovered any interesting article like yours.
    It is lovely worth sufficient for me. In my view, if all site owners and bloggers made just right content as you did, the net can be much more
    helpful than ever before.

  4. ciprofloxacina-it.icu

    blog topic

  5. JamesNow says:

    http://lisinoprilfst.com/# zestril medication

  6. hyderabad.india77.com

    blog topic

  7. published on Bihar India 77

    blog topic

  8. JamesNow says:

    http://stromectolfst.com/# stromectol 3 mg dosage

  9. Great beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your website, how can i subscribe for a
    blog site? The account aided me a applicable
    deal. I were tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided
    vibrant clear idea

  10. this says:

    obviously like your web site however you have to take a look at the spelling on quite a few of your posts.
    Many of them are rife with spelling issues and I in finding it very bothersome to inform
    the reality however I will surely come again again.

  11. this file says:

    Hi to every body, it’s my first pay a quick visit of this blog;
    this web site includes awesome and truly fine material for readers.

  12. read says:

    Howdy this is somewhat of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or
    if you have to manually code with HTML. I’m starting a
    blog soon but have no coding know-how so I wanted
    to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be
    greatly appreciated!

  13. pdf here says:

    you’re really a excellent webmaster. The site loading pace is incredible.

    It kind of feels that you are doing any distinctive trick.
    In addition, The contents are masterpiece. you have
    performed a fantastic task in this subject!

  14. m says:

    Today, while I was at work, my cousin stole my iPad and tested to see if it can survive a twenty five foot drop,
    just so she can be a youtube sensation. My apple ipad
    is now broken and she has 83 views. I know this is completely off topic but I had to share it with someone!

  15. Some times its a pain in the ass to read what website owners
    wrote but this internet site is really user pleasant!

  16. Canadian 0nline pharmacy canadian pharmacies-247
    online pharmacy in turkey

  17. Cialis hair loss cialis paypal payment
    cialis 20mg review

  18. Cialis soft tabs overnight how to use cialis 5mg
    cialis versus viagra reviews

  19. Female cialis vs male cialis daily dose of cialis cipla cialis

  20. Sheena says:

    Some times its a pain in the ass to read what
    website owners wrote but this site is very user friendly!

  21. kolos1.ru says:

    No matter if some one searches for his required thing, so he/she needs to be available that in detail, so that thing is maintained over here.

  22. How long is cialis effective liquid cialis for sale generic cialis (tadalafil) 20mg 30

  23. Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice even as you amend your site, how can i subscribe for
    a weblog website? The account aided me a applicable deal.
    I were tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast offered vibrant transparent idea

  24. What a material of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable knowledge about unpredicted emotions.

  25. Hello, i think that i saw you visited my website thus i came to ?return the favor?.I am trying to find things to
    improve my website!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

  26. Adell says:

    I’ve been surfing online more than three hours
    today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
    It is pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all website owners and bloggers
    made good content as you did, the internet will be a lot more
    useful than ever before.

  27. I am really impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your
    weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself?
    Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a nice blog like this
    one today.

  28. xiv.wiki says:

    Great article.

  29. With havin so much written content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright violation? My
    site has a lot of unique content I’ve either written myself
    or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping
    it up all over the web without my permission. Do you know any ways
    to help protect against content from being ripped off?
    I’d truly appreciate it.

  30. Great blog here! Also your website loads up fast!
    What host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your host?
    I wish my website loaded up as quickly as yours lol

  31. beauty tips gharelu

    blog topic

  32. wiki.cepheid.org

    blog topic

  33. Hey, you used to write fantastic, but the last several
    posts have been kinda boring? I miss your super writings.
    Past few posts are just a bit out of track! come on!

  34. Hello, i believe that i saw you visited my site thus i got here to ?go back
    the desire?.I am trying to find issues to improve my site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

  35. wikilang.org says:

    Nice post. I learn something totally new and challenging on sites I stumbleupon everyday.
    It will always be exciting to read through articles from
    other writers and practice a little something from their sites.

  36. I view something genuinely special in this site.

  37. 2 hair beauty tips

    blog topic

  38. q-tips® beauty round

    blog topic

  39. wikilang.org says:

    I must show my appreciation for your generosity supporting men and women who should have guidance on in this matter.
    Your very own commitment to passing the solution all-around was exceedingly powerful and have in every case made folks much like me to reach their endeavors.
    Your own interesting hints and tips can mean a great deal a person like me and
    especially to my peers. Thank you; from all of us.

  40. I go to see each day some sites and information sites to read
    content, however this web site offers feature based content.

  41. beauty tip 2020

    blog topic

  42. Hello I am so excited I found your blog, I really found
    you by mistake, while I was browsing on Askjeeve for something else, Anyhow I am
    here now and would just like to say thank you
    for a incredible post and a all round interesting blog (I also
    love the theme/design), I don’t have time to browse it all at the minute but I have book-marked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please
    do keep up the excellent work.

  43. I pay a quick visit everyday some web sites and information sites to
    read articles, but this website offers quality based posts.

  44. Only wanna input that you have a very nice internet site, I love the style and design it actually stands out.

  45. invenio.com.my

    blog topic

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *