BootsnAll Travel Network



Thai’ing the knot

I am back in full form and as active as I have been since February it seems. The last 3 days have been hectic but really fun. I will start with the wedding and then maybe post tomorrow about the other 2 days.

Thursday Marisa and Sean got married. Who the hell is Marisa you ask? She is a friend of mine that I met through an online travel community, the one that is hosting this travel blog. It is a place for like minded people to share helpful tips and experiences and has been a huge part of making this trip easier. She knew about my trip and that I would be near Chiang Mai around the same time as the wedding so she sent me an invitation. I am extremely grateful for that since I got to experience a whole new culture.

Marisa is American born with Thai parents and Sean is also American. They wanted to do a traditional Thai wedding so they got with a local wedding planner and everything was taken care of. It started off Thursday morning with Marisa and Sean getting up at 4:30 in the morning to gather offerings for the monks that would be doing the ceremony. They put together a basket full of fruit and other assorted needs since the monks live a life without possession they count dearly on offerings. We were picked up from the hotel around 1:30pm and taken to the first venue. A beautiful temple (or Wat in Thai) just outside of Chiang Mai. We took off our shoes and entered. There are rules for being inside the temple that you must follow. The dress code doesn’t allow for male or female knees to be showing and you must cover your shoulders at all times. Black is considered unlucky for a wedding so a lot of us had to shop for an outfit the night before in the night market.

Sean and Marisa outside of the first wedding venue.

The first ceremony was a traditional Thai wedding where the monk blesses them and chants for about 15 minutes. The family and friends then get blessed. I wasn’t able to get a photo of myself kneeling before the monk with my hands clasped so you will just have to imagine it. He says a prayer and ties a small piece of string around your left arm that is bad luck if you remove it before it naturally falls off. After the initial ceremony the entire wedding group which is about 30 people are lead outside to watch Marisa and Sean release 9 birds for good merit and then 9 baby catfish into the river. We were then lead even further outside of Chiang Mai to a small ceremonial area where the wedding planner lives and the second “northern Thailand” wedding would be held.

After stepping out of the vans we were greeted with traditional Thai music and a flower parade down a winding path through the woods. As with Thai tradition 2 females, in this instance Sarah (her friend) and Alyssa (her sister) have to ask Sean 3 questions before he could pass on. After a few embarassing moments Sean was accepted and allowed to pass. Before stepping into the final ceremonial area he was to suffer the same barrage of questions from his soon to be mother-in-law. Fortunately for Sean she was way too sweet to embarass him so she allowed him to pass into the next area where Marisa waited.

Sean’s worthiest of Marisa being questioned by Sarah and Marisa’s sister Alyssa. He passed.

Once everyone was seated the 2nd ceremony began and much like the first the monk began his chant. In Thailand they literally tie the knot so they were both connected by a string wrapped around their head. The ring ceremony and kiss were done here and once again the wedding guests were involved and got to each tie a piece of string around both of their wrists which can not be removed until it naturally falls off. I felt kind of bad so I tied a pretty loose knot! I really enjoyed the audience participation for the wedding but this next part was almost a little too much.

Sean giving Marisa the ring while all Thai’d up

It was starting to get dark and everyone was beginning to get hungry as the ceremony went on for a long time. The in-laws were now supposed to lead the newly weds to their bedroom which was a honeymoon cabin right above the dinner area. The wedding planner asked if someone strong could carry the huge flower arrangement. I thought she just wanted it moved a few feet so I offered to help. She then instructed me to get in front of the in-laws and the couple and lead them to the bedroom. Suddenly I was a part of the ceremony again only this time I was front and center holding a beautiful arrangement of flowers. The photographer snapped away as the the wedding planner told me to slow down. We paraded up the stairs and into the bedroom. I was the first person in and placed the flowers on the bed. I couldn’t help but feel like Owen Wilson or Vince Vaughn from the movie Wedding Crashers. Here, this internet friend is suddenly going to be in a bunch of wedding photos acting as the “flower girl”. I know, laugh it up. It was an honor but I scooted out of the room as quick as possible as it felt a little uncomfortable. I mean, Marisa did have a brother-in-law that could have done a great job too! Sorry no photos of this from me but I’m sure I will have some sent from Marisa once she gets home.

We were finally seated to have dinner and drinks. It was a great selection of different Thai food. Spring rolls, jungle curry, potatoes, chicken skewers, beef, rice and other assorted items. The bartender poured Singha after Singha (beer) and fanta for the none drinkers as Kantoke (traditional Thai) dancers came out and entertained us.

Thai food at the wedding

Kantoke dancers

After the meal we were treated to a more western tradition of cake. I am so glad I was able to snap a picture because what I am about to tell you wouldn’t be believed otherwise. I held up the cake to my face to start eating it and Laura motioned for me to stop and advised me that there was a bug on the icing. I turned the cake around and took a careful look. At first I thought it was a mosquito or a fly but it had an odd shape. I looked closer and noticed a small hook tail. I decided to test it out and put my finger on its back and the tail struck down to my finger. There was a SCORPION in my cake. Not just a scorpion but a tiny almost invisible baby scorpion. Luckily I have proof so here you go.

And a close up shot. Notice the 2 prong stinger at the tip of the tubed tail.

The final event of the night was a fireworks show and a fire balloon release. Here are some shots of that. I’m really proud of these. I used a time delay to get the firework effects down.



Tags: , , ,

One response to “Thai’ing the knot”

  1. bryan says:

    it’s interesting how different weddings can be when you travel. even in the US, Cali and NY weddings are so different. Sounds like you had a nice time flower girl!! I liked your cake pictures too! can you imagine the lawsuit if mcdonald’s served up a scorpion to somebody?!

  2. Kristen says:

    Joey,

    That is awesome that you got to be a part of a traditional Thai wedding! And the scorpion, never a dull, huh? LOL

    Cheers,
    Kristen

  3. Vinny Tafuro says:

    Hey bro, glad you are back to having an enjoyable trip. Miss you here in Tampa, it’s beach season again!

  4. marie says:

    hey joey. Im glad you had fun at the wedding…. gross scorpion though…cool but gross… miss you!! hey my friend lives in seattle so when you fly in.. let me know i will drive up and we can stay with him.nrnrmarie

  5. Simon says:

    Scorpions don’t have wings!

    At least not in Thailand.

    I am glad tohear you enjoyed the Thai wedding experience.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *