BootsnAll Travel Network



Kenya Dig it!?

Yes, corny puns are still allowed while I’m blogging.

Well, I made it. After 20+ hours in airports and to back-to-back 8 hours flights I finally arrived in Nairobi, Kenya last night at about 9pm GMT+3 (which I imagine is about 11am EST give or take) on 1/4.

The flight was as good as I could have expected and I was highly impressed with NWA/KLM. I finally got to watch “The Departed” which was very good. Our route from Amsterdam took us over north Africa. For awhile I went to the back of the airplane and stared out the window. As we passed over parts of southern Sudan you could see large gatherings of some sort of human development as well as herds of animals. It was quite the surreal experience watching The Office and The Simpsons on the airplane while we were flying over Darfur.

Let me just go on the record and say, I was a FREAKING mess when I arrived in Nairobi. The hostel I booked online in advance that was supposed to pick me up wasn’t there, or at least I couldn’t read my name on any sign. Then when I tried to get a taxi it seemed that no one had ever heard of the place and stupid me left the address for the place at home. Fortunately there was a nice girl that helped me out and found me a hotel in the city center. It was a bit more expensive than the one I had booked but I really needed the rest since sleeping on the airplane was impossible.

After falling asleep to some weird Philipine soap opera that was dubbed in English, I woke up at 5:30a to sports news. For anyone interested, Kenya cares about the NBA because there was a news bit on the Heat game last night since Pat Riley took some time off.

So, today is going to be a lazy day. I am probably going to walk around a bit and take in Nairobi since this is my only day here. I am not sure when the next time I will get to a computer will be so check back for updates. I fly to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia tomorrow afternoon.



Tags: , , ,

3 responses to “Kenya Dig it!?”

  1. Puck says:

    Glad to hear you made it and are doing well. Ill keep checking for updates.. have fun and be safe!

  2. ash says:

    YEA! You’re safe. NOW the adventure realyl begins… 🙂

  3. Vinny Tafuro says:

    Good to see you made it ok… I just traveled to Staples and back for office supplies. 😉

  4. marie says:

    hey joey im glad your there and found a place. I hope you enjoy your adventures stay safe– marie

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *