BootsnAll Travel Network



Halfway

While I sit here in Bangkok escaping the insane heat (97F with a UV index of +10 bringing the feels like temperature to 116F) I ponder the length of my trip. I have made it halfway. 90 days and counting. At times it feels like 3 more months is a long time and other times it feels like it will fly by. Times haven’t all been good but they haven’t all been bad either. Maybe it is time to look back. This is my blog’s version of a clip show. Enjoy…

FAVORITE MOMENTS:

The first long distance trip in Ethiopia from Addis Ababa to Bahir Dar where I got to see the countryside and felt like I had a true African experience.

Hanging out with the Australian guys in Bahir Dar and Gondar, Ethiopia.

Daisy and I missing our stop in Ruhengeri and having to hitch a ride on the back of a kids bicycle to get back into town.

Trekking through the jungle in Rwanda search of the mountain gorillas.

Hanging out in Ruhengeri and Gisenyi, Rwanda with Daisy drinking Mutzigs.

The day trip into Goma, DR Congo and getting to see UN, UNICEF and other aid organizations.

Smiling kids in DR Congo pointing and yelling MZUNGU!!!

Going to the drum and bass club in Singapore with Shawn.

Going to the top of KL Tower in Kuala Lumpur and seeing the view of the city with the Petronas Towers.

Wondering Chinatown in Kuala Lumpur.

Hanging out at Red Dragon Hostel in Kuala Lumpur watching movies and drinking cheap beer with other travelers.

Playing pool with Nadia in Georgetown, Penang.

Feeling the anticipation of the full moon party on the ferry from the mainland to Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand.

Meeting Apple in Chiang Mai.

Getting to experience a traditional northern Thai wedding.

WORST MOMENTS:

Realizing I didn’t have enough money to see all the rock-hewn churches in Lalibela and get back to Addis Ababa.

Getting sick in Lalibela.

Bus ride from Lalibela to Dessie, Ethiopia.

The realization that ATMs are not widespread in Rwanda.

The plane ride from Zanzibar to Dar es Salaam.

Shawn busting his toe in Singapore and having to go to the hospital the next day.

Getting sick the day of the Beastie Boys concert in Singapore.

Hungover in Kuala Lumpur too many times.

The “accident” in Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand.

The after effects of the “accident” being felt for a full month after. Including infection, hygene and the inability to be in the sun.

Food poisoning in Chiang Mai.

SOME COOL PEOPLE THAT I HAVE MET:

Mick and Craig, the Aussies in Ethiopia.

Kid in Bahir Dar that gave me a free smoothie from his family’s shop plus his Ethiopian wristband.

Kid on the bus ride from Lalibela to Dessie and his friends who shared their food with me.

Dutch guys in Zanzibar.

The group of Canadians in Kuala Lumpur.

Apple in Chiang Mai.

Marisa’s family and friends at the wedding in Chiang Mai.

BEST SCENERY:

Seeing Ethiopians walking on the side of the street, hearding livestock, cooking out of their huts and waving to people driving by.

The mountains just south of Dessie in Ethiopia en route to Addis Ababa.

Just about every sight in Rwanda. The volcano national park and the drive from Gisenyi back to Kigali.

Virunga Mountains in the Democratic Republic of Congo outside of Goma.

Pongwe Beach Zanzibar, Tanzania.

Kuala Lumpur skyline with the Petronas Towers and the green throughout the city.

The drive from Penang, Malaysia north to the Thai border.

The drive from the Thai border to Hat Yai, Thailand.

Hong Kong’s cityscape.



Tags: , , ,

0 responses to “Halfway”

  1. daisy says:

    mzungu!! mzungu!!! :O

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *