BootsnAll Travel Network



Beer & Pizza Review #3

It has been a little while but I thought I would catch up on some Beer and Pizza reviews.

I never got to eat pizza in Rwanda so I can’t really review it. The beer is a different story since they had plenty.

Rwandan Beer

Primus Beer: Easily the worst beer I have had so far on my trip. Its brewery is in the town of Gisenyi where we stayed for a couple of days. I tried it in Ruhengeri after the gorilla trek and I was sadly met with a flat, watered down, digusting beer. There was absolutely no head and no bubble. In Primus’ defense I did someone else drinking it a few days later that had plenty of head and looked tasty so maybe I got skunky old beer.

Mutzig: Seems like it would be imported from Germany but the label says brewed in Kigali, Rwanda. Apparently this is a pretty big beer in Rwanda, Uganda and DR Congo. It is hands down the best beer so far. It is a pale lager with a full taste blah blah blah IT JUST TASTES REALLY GOOD. Ordered plenty of petits and grandes. Very cheap too. Recommend anyone traveling in central Africa to stick to this instead of Primus.

Beer in Tanzania:

Safari Beer: Had a bottle on Pongwe Beach. In the bungalow there wasn’t too much space to put a drink down so I put it on the bed post and accidently spilled it. So really, I can’t report on this one. I’m sure the floor of my bungalow enjoyed it.

Kilimanjaro: This is my go-to beer in Tanzania. I have mostly been drinking it out of cans which for some reason always reminds me of Natural Light at home. It actually isn’t so bad. The can is bright yellow with blue and red. Kind of looks like a fruit juice can. Recommended over what I tasted of Safari and East Africa’s other big beer, Tusker.

Pizza in Tanzania

I ate pizza on the mainland but it was a terrible chain restuarant so it never had a chance of being good. I mean, I can enjoy chain pizza at home from time to time but this was terrible.

On Zanzibar we found a nice Italian resaurant whiched looked to be run by a German lady. We split a Greca pizza, tomatos, mozzarella and olives. I thought it was pretty good pizza. I realized after this one that all the pizza out of the United States had a specific flavor to it that I couldn’t quite pin down. It isn’t that it is bad but it is just much different and noticable to me, at least.

Last night after months and months of hearing about Zanzibar Pizza, Daisy and I visited the night stalls at the Garden in Stone Town. They cook up meat on a stick, seafood, naan, fries, and Zanzibar Pizza. It is different from any other kind of pizza. Made with beef, eggs, chili, dough and some other assorted ingredients. It isn’t pizza at all but it is definitely delicious. Daisy wasn’t kidding when she said I had to try it.



Tags: , , , ,

-1 responses to “Beer & Pizza Review #3”

  1. Francesca says:

    Too bad you couldn’t enjoy the Safari beer! That was my favorite in Tanzania.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *