BootsnAll Travel Network



Suprise! Morocco Rocks

   Suprise!  I decieded that being in the south of Spain was way too close to Morroco not to go.  Really I was kind of planning it all along but was waiting until I snagged the right person who was travelling in the same direction, wonderful things happen at Rhambutan.  Steve is a cool guy from San Francisco I met at the top of the world, I needed a guy to protect me from being sold into the camel caravan.  Just kidding!  He was just heading south the same time I was. 

  I crossed the Stait of Gilbralter yesterday on a very slow boat.  I watched as Spain disappeared into a hazy mist as Morrocco came into view as a mountainous mystery.  We landed in Tangier.  Tangier must have been preparing for some huge party because the Moroccan flags were going up in full force and everthing seemed to be getting a fresh coat of paint.  It wasn’t the best port town, but I have to say the hustle in Jamaica was a heck of a lot worse than what I have seen here.  I am kind of glad I got the practice a few months ago.  We were offered a taxi to Chefchaoen for 60 euros, but that was the extent of the hustle, only taxi drivers.   We’ll take the bus thank you.     

 Thank goodness I know some French, I am using the heck out of it.  The greatest thing is that I can actually understand the people speaking.  Go figure.  So our ride to Chefchaoen turned out to be 3 dollars US instead of 60euros!  Yippee!  The bus ride up to Chefchaoen  was long ride up a winding mountain road but we made it.  Chefchaoen is in the Rif mountains high on the mountain.  Adobe houses cling to the walls and climb high in the sky.

    Late in the evening we arrived then walked up a near vertical hill to the depths of the medina to find our hostel.  Thankfully some nice guy helped us find it, even though it was the long way.  The hostel is in the heart of the medina, cheap and gorgeous.  Mosaics line every possible surface and the intricate metalwork on the lamps, railings and windows are so amazing I can’t believe it is real.

Walking throughout the medina,  is such a maze and so much fun to get disoriented and lost for a little while.  It seems that you always end up in a relatively recognizable place though.   There are so  many smells and sights to devour, everything is so different and alive I love it.  Little shops line the medina  and some friendly guy appears to sell you carpets I mean “share some tea”  Okay lesson learned.  

Tomorrow I am doing a hike along the Rif mountains, I can update more often because internet is so freaking cheap as is everything else. So expect lots from me.

I promise to take heaps of photos and more importantly take care of myself(Hi momma)

Hugs and couscous 

jessica     



Tags: , ,

-49 responses to “Suprise! Morocco Rocks”

  1. Gina says:

    yay sweets, great to hear you are having such a great time…everything you write sounds so wonderful and romantic! We miss you very much!

    I will send you some pinata pictures when I get them back from Sangeet (my new stoke buddy)

    luvs
    g

  2. admin says:

    Hi gina!! I seriouly almost peed my pants laughing at the woodfire pics! I love you guys!
    ps
    will be eating camel by next week

    love jessica

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *