BootsnAll Travel Network



Travel Plans

So we are getting closer to the off and are starting to really think about where we are going, what we will do and more importantly what to pack!

We jet off on Monday October 16th 2006 and the first stop is Japan.  We will spend three weeks here and are treating it more as a holiday than a backpacking trip, although we cannot resist the call of the mountains, and will spend a couple of nights in a mountain hut!

Next stop after Japan is Fiji…a week on a tropical island…its a hard life!  We haven’t really thought about this part of the trip at all.  I suspect that it’ll be a case of wait and see what is available at the airport when we land.

So, after some R&R it is off to New Zealand (first stop Christchurch) where the walking starts for real…at the moment we are intending to do:

  1. Banks Peninsular (2 days)
  2. A couple of day walks around Arthurs Pass
  3. Welcome Flat (start of the Copland Track) (2-3 days)
  4. Routeburn (3 days)
  5. Dusky Track (8-10 days – depending on the weather!)
  6. A couple of days on Stewart Island
  7. Queen Charlotte Sounds (4 days) – we will be in this area for Christmas
  8. Whanganui River Journey (5 days) – more a canoe than a walk, but classed as a Great Walk – this is New Year for us!
  9. Tongariro Northern Circuit
  10. …think that is enough really!

You can read about all the walks on the Department of Conservation website (click here)

Phew, after all of that we jet off to Tahiti for another weeks R&R on a tropical island, before heading to Easter Island for a couple of days…and then…it is South America!!

South America, can’t wait.  After a week or so around Santiago we jump on a plane to Puerto Montt, were we will head to Chiloe and into the Lake District, before jumping on a boat down south to Puerto Natales.

After the four day boat trip we’ll head off into Patagonia and the Torres del Paine circuit.  After that…who knows, we have all of South & Central America to explore.  At some point there will be a flight from Lima to Mexico City, another from Costa Rica to Madrid and then the final flight back to the UK, when the whole trip will become a memory…



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *