BootsnAll Travel Network



Nearing the off…

As 16th October draws closer plans for Japan are being finalised.

We arrive into Narita airport on 17th October, from there we will have to negotiate our way to Asakusa Station in downtown Tokyo to catch the train to Nikko. For some reason, which I now can’t remember, we decided to head straight to Nikko, rather than start in Tokyo… 

So, we spend three days in Nikko, exploring the temples and surrounding countryside.  After that we head back to Tokyo, but just for one night.  We head off to Yudanaka to see the snow monkeys the following day, but not before heading to Tokyo’s fish market at some stupidly early time in the morning to eat sushi for breakfast and watch the auctions. 

After, hopefully, spending some time with the monkeys we head to Matsumoto, to stock up on some food and to visit the castle.  Hopefully we will also find the time to visit a nearby wasabi farm before heading to Kamichoci, to walk the 3 three day hiking trip of the Yarigatake Circuit, which apparently, has some ‘exciting’ parts (also known as the Daikiretto).  

After scaling mountains, with the assistance of some metal ladders, we had to Takayama for a couple of days relaxing, before some culture in Kyoto.  We are hoping to meet a goodwill guide, a volunteer system, where locals take you on a walking tour of Kyoto – it is a free service, we will just have to pay travel expenses, admission to tourist facilities and food if we eat with them.  I’ve read good reviews about the service and if it works well, and we spend more than 24 hours in Toyko, we will do something similar there. 

We spend three days in Kyoto, with a possible day trip to Nara or Kobe, depending on how we are feeling.   It is then time to spend a night in a temple (with monks) in Koyasan.  We then have a few days spare to do as we please.  We intend to head to Fuji, although we won’t be climbing it as it is out of season.  

We leave Japan on 6th November…next stop…Fiji…



Tags: , ,

-1 responses to “Nearing the off…”

  1. Anise says:

    Hello
    Just wanted to wish you both a fabulous trip and look forward to reading all about it! Hope you have some wonderful adventures.
    Anise

  2. Katie says:

    Hi there!

    The blog is great – I look forward to hearing all the stories and tales! And I’m gutted that I leave NZ the day after you get there…and from a different airport (otherwise we might have been able to meet up, albeit briefly!!).

    Bon voyage!

    Katie

    p.s. I purchased a walking pole yesterday… I have joined to OAP brigade!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *