BootsnAll Travel Network



Rees Dart Track

We had planned to head up to Mount Cook after Stewart Island, but with the accomodation all being booked out we had a change of plans and decided to head out on the four day Rees Dart Track instead.

The track follows the Rees river up the valley, were you cross the Rees Saddle and then follow the Dart river back out (or vice versa if you so desire!)

The first day we walked up to Shelter Rock Hut (not sure where the rock was though)! It was a lovely walk up across muddy flats (I don’t think you can do any track in NZ without getting your feet wet and/or muddy within about 5 minutes of setting out!) then through beech forest – although this time a nice benched path – not a slippery tree root insight!

The second morning we set out in the rain which soon turned to snow. About 1.5 hours in we decided it wasn’t worth it – we wouldn’t be able to see the views from the saddle and we were both freezing cold and soaked. So we turned back to the hut to dry out and try again. However, turning back meant that we would have to ‘double up’ the next day – i.e. do two days in one. After about 15 mins of turning round the weather cleared and where we had been walking in snow – it was now a stream and we wondered whether we’d made the right decision – but when we turned round the snow was still over the saddle and we were glad we weren’t up there!

Spot the difference in the weather!

Shelter Rock Hut 2nd MorningShelter Rock Hut 3rd morning 

We woke to clear skies on the third day so we headed up the saddle (at 1447m).  We had to kick steps into fresh snow up the last 150m or so – with snow up to our thighs as we crossed over the tops, but the views were amazing and the hard work was worth it.

Rees Saddle

We had fun walking down to Dart hut – playing with icicles

Icicle horns!

It was a hard day carrying on to Daley’s Flat Hut – but the views at the top made our decision to turn round on the second day worth it.The fourth day down the Dart Valley was very simialr to the first – but this has to be the best track we have done so far in NZ. Thanks Mount Cook for being fuuly booked!!    

 



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *