BootsnAll Travel Network



The road to India philosophical rad

Mary coined the phrase “India philosophical rad”; I think it was on the flight from Delhi to Cochin when one of the crew apologized over the PA for the inconvenience of a delay, then followed with something like, “But these things happen and there is nothing that can be done. They are out of our control so we must simply accept them.” Yep, that guy was totally India philosophical rad.

On the first pages of my journal for this trip, I wrote out a quote from “Paths to God: Living the Bhagavad Gita” by Ram Dass: “[Arjuna is] still attached to all his old values, his old definitions of himself. They are in conflict with the new understanding that is beginning to unfold for him, but they’re deeply ingrained, and he isn’t free just to drop them at will…And even more important, we have come to recognize that the choices facing Arjuna are the same choices facing us: How ripe are we to let go? How free of our egos are we ready to be? How willing are we to surrender to the mystery of God’s plan? Those are the questions confronting Arjuna. That’s the battle we face.” I thought a lot about this before the trip but then, since I have the mental focus of your average house pet, I promptly forgot about it in the fun, shiny distraction of India.

Last night it hit me – maybe this awful smackdown of the past few days is an opportunity I’m being given, to let go of my old ego models and to be released into the sea of life. It played out in a series of scenes since Monday: when I needed my ipod, it promptly stopped working; when I needed to feel physically strong and capable, I fell down and hurt myself; when I needed the kindness of strangers, I was met for the first time with cold indifference; when I needed to feel safe and nourished, I got food poisoning; when I needed the comfort of voices speaking English, the cable immediately went out. Everything I thought I wanted or needed – every attachment – was forcibly broken.

At first my response was the same as on my last big trip, which was precipitated by a similar domino effect – “I hate this! Things aren’t going how I want them to be, so I’m unhappy.” But if I’m only going to be happy when things are ‘good’, then I’ve completely wasted the past year of my life on a spiritual quest for freedom and balance that instead led right back to where I started. I saw that the only way to be that evolution was to put my mind where my mouth is, because I can talk about non-attachment and surrender until I’m blue in the face but if I still mentally qualify an experience as good or bad according to how closely it meets my expectations and desires, then those are just empty words.

Some part of my internal construct fell apart when I realized all this. Something shifted and I finally felt – really felt and not just thought – that it didn’t matter, any of it. I finally didn’t care – didn’t feel like I wanted or needed any certain thing. Healthy, sick, weak, hot, cold, what job I have, what city I live in, who I’m dating or if I’m not dating anyone at all, if there are people around or not, whether or not anyone helps me when I’m in trouble…it’s all the same, and the only thing I can do is be there in it and act with kindness.

Honestly, if this feeling lasts for even a day or two, then this whole trip will have been totally worth it.

***********************

As a postscript: after I went through all of that last night, I woke up feeling healthy, not sore or ill. The cable was on. At breakfast, the waiter brought me a bottle of water that was ice cold (something I’d unsuccessfully tried to find for days) and, with no explanation, an English-language newspaper. After breakfast, the hotel manager came up and knocked on my door because he hadn’t seen me in the morning and wanted to make sure that I was okay, “because if you were still feeling difficult, I would call a doctor to come.” And yes, after checking my ipod 43278 times since I got here, I thought I’d be crazy and dig it out of my bad to check it one last time… and it worked.



Tags:

3 responses to “The road to India philosophical rad”

  1. Arne Saknussemm says:

    welcome to the other side, grasshopper…

  2. Shannon says:

    You won!

  3. Charlotte says:

    I love it I love it I love it! I can’t WAIT to talk to you about this!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *