BootsnAll Travel Network



Tikal

Well, sorry..it´s been awhile since I have written on this blog!
Lots to tell everyone, but perhaps best to start from the beginning.

Last off, we were in El Estor,a town by Lago Izabel. I felt a little under the weather, kind of like a bad cold. I had found out that I had Dengue Fever, although they had told me it wasn´t a bad case-whatever that means! I had had the big fever that they talk about, and thinking myself in the recovery period, we boarded a bus for Rio Dulce. Rio Dulce was..touristy, lots of yachties walking around with sperry topsiders and women in skimpy clothes. Not a place I would want to hang out in for long.

Luckily, we didn´t have long to wait for the bus to Flores, which is the main city close to Tikal. We got on the bus without much trouble and landed in Flores without inccident-for once!

From Flores, we had to take a bus to El Remate, where we had reserved a hotel. According to the Lonely Planet guidebook, El Remate was the place to be, so thats why we chose the place.

Unfortunately, we had just missed the last bus to El Remate-leaving us at the taxi driver´s mercy, of course. After much hard bargaining and claiming we had no money-almost true, as we were getting pretty broke by then-we somhow ended up getting in a collectivo mini bus. The driver told us we were going straight to El Remate, but then he began picking up all these other passengers. We had no choice but to stay on the minibus, although we wanted to get off, and it seemed like he was going everywhere BUT El Remate! He was also very typical of some of the men here, wearing lots of gold chains, shirt unbuttoned down to his navel, winking at me alot and calling me angel.

When we finally got to the hotel in El Remate we were exhausted.
We had chosen a hotel off the internet called Hostal Hermano Pedro, because it promised free breakfast, a shuttle bus to Tikal, and it took credit cards. We had reserved a room online, however, when we arrived they knew nothing of it. They also had no free breakfast, no shuttlebus to Tikal, and in fact it was a terrible hotel. It seemed to be run entirely by a single 12 year old girl, and the mysterious owner-who apparently was in charge of making the breakfast, but was in Guatemala City, and thats why there was no breakfast!-anyway, the mysterious owner never showed up, the entire time we stayed there.

I was feeling very bad, very sick, with what I thought was a cold at this point. Pretty much, while Moira wandered around, I stayed at the hotel, trying to get better. While hanging around, I met a wonderful woman traveler named Jackie, who is 65 and quite the world traveler. We talked alot, and I interviewed her for this blog. Talking to her made me realize how much I would have like to read interviews with women actually traveling solo around the world before I went on my trip. I learned so much from this interesting woman!

I did manage to walk around El remate a little bit. from those walks, I can safely say that I have no idea why the Lonely Planet guide suggests people stay here. It is true that there is a shuttlebus, but it costs the same as a bus from Flores to Tikal, so you´re not saving any money whatsoever. Plus, you´re at the mercy of the taxis if you miss the last bus!

The town itself borders a very nice lake, and is designed on a grid. The main road itself and all of the offshoots were gringoville. Lots of expensive food, lots of outrageously expensive trinkets..just not my thing at all. There was a rather interesting hippie scene, complete with dreadlocked folks making jewlry for sale and firethrowers in the evening.

The worst part of the town-other than the lack of affordable food, as we only found one cheap empanada stand on our entire street!-was that the sewers were extremely odiferous. I mean, the place stank of sewage, no matter where you were. The sewage system seemed to consist solely of shallow trenches in between, and sometimes right thru the center, of the buildings…for example, Jackie and I went to get a pizza, and after we sat down, we realized our table was directly on top of the sewage trench! Only a board or two was between us and the river of smelly sludge!

We did go into Flores for one day and wandered around. Staying away from the touristy parts was difficult, but we did discover the large mercado which had everything you could think of. At one point we heard some really great ranchera-cowboy-music, coming out of a cantina with red lace curtain. We lingered for one minute too long in the doorway, and before we knew it a large hairy tattoed man had his hands on our arms and was rather insistent that we enter. We didn´t off course, but we got a good glimpse of the inside,where a small band played as tons of guys in cowboy hats bought lots of beer for some scantily-clad women. Obvoiusly, it was more than a bar, in the sense we know of a bar, it doubled as a brothel, too.

Flores itself had some seediness to it, but it was cheap, and far more interesting than El Remate. There is a nicer, sort of yuppie part of Flores, too, but I didn´t get to visit that area until a few days later.

One night I was really sick, and I lost my appetitie entirely. I thought maybe it was still the dengue, or malaria, but truthfully I had no idea. I was worried, but then seemed to feel better, so we decided to head to Tikal.

Tikal was-enormous, is the first word I think of. The grounds themselves are huge, and it really is impossible to see everything.

Secondly, they are mysterious. its rather hard to believe that this entire civilation existed, thrived, died, and disappeared from anyones´conciousness or history for so long. It was rather magically rediscovered in 1848, when Guatemala sent some folks out to examine it. Obviously, people knew of it´s existence in the past at some point, but there was a rather large period where it seemed to have been forgotten. Some Spanish friars wrote a bit about it, but it was all rather vague, and no one seemed motivated to do anything in terms of investigation until 1848!

Plenty of people came from around the world to work on the site, but it really wasn´t until the rather late date of 1956 that work began in earnest. This was due to a wide variety of reasons-the remoteness of the site, the cost involved, and the condition of the structures.

The strutures themselves were all buried under enormous mounds of earth, completely forested, and had to be excavated from the mounds. Even now, when I walked around Tikal, there were many structures still covered in huge mounds of earth and trees, like min mountains. Only a mere thirty percent of the structures have been uncovered to date, and work has been stopped on much of the excavation, as the government has run out of money-so they say, anyway!

The interesting thin for me at the site was how differnet it was than the ruins in Copan, Honduras, which we had recently visited. In Copan, you can see incredible detail on all of the structures-faces, warriors, mayan calendars, inscriptions-even the original paint! But in Tikal, hardly any of this was to be seen. Tikal was sort of like enormous cement cinderblock structures, without any fine detail.

This is because of the materials each site had available. In Tikal, they made their own bricks from what they had available, which was a soft, coarse stone-a little like what we think of when we think about cement. But in Copan, They had different minerals in their bricks they made, and this made the bicks and stone very hard. What this translates into is that the soft stone in Tikal basically has disentigrated, while the harder stone in Copan remains astonishingly intact.

One thing about Tikal that has stayed with me is how tiny I felt-which is exactly how these monolith structures must have made their original inhabitants feel. The amount of sacrifices neccessary to maintain all of the temples was pretty shocking as well.

The Mayan inhabitants of tikal were brilliant in terms of mathematics, science, and astronomy..and yet they mysteriously disappaered and know one seems to know exactly why-although there are plenty of theories. They just vanished.

We did take a tour at Tikal -mostly because we were advised to do by numerous guidebooks, due to an increase in robberies and rapes there. But while there, I saw many people walking around without a guide, and they didn´t seem to have any problems whatsoever with getting robbed and so on..I think women could definitely walk around, at least in pairs, and be at ease in most of the park.

Our guide moved rather quickly, and I had to stop and rest alot-I was feeling absolutley exhausted, and upset because we came all this way for the experience and I felt too unwell to enjoy it. By the time we were done with the tour, I was really out of it and decdied to take a nap on the grass while we awaited for our bus.



Tags:

695 responses to “Tikal”

  1. the kamagra store trusted kamagra sites uk what is kamagra oral gel what is oral jelly 100mg kamagra

  2. is zanaflex generic zanaflex medication difference between zanaflex and flexeril what is better zanaflex or robaxin

  3. buy viagra brisbane tadalafil generic cost where can i buy kamagra what does cialis do to a woman

  4. levitra side effects headache levitra 20mg levitra dosage levitra medicine

  5. albuterol steroid where can i buy albuterol over the counter how long does albuterol take to work how long should ventolin last

  6. kamagra 100 gold who make kamagra where to buy kamagra 100mg oral jelly kamagra 100mg oral jelly what is it

  7. acheter kamagra kamagra co uk kamagra oral jelly weekpack bestellen where can i buy kamagra in bangkok

  8. viagra humour tarif viagra utilisation du viagra chez l’homme comment fabrique le viagra naturel

  9. clomid and cancer clomid online does clomid cause painful ovulation how to get clomid pct

  10. clomid 50 mg says:

    gГ©nГ©rique viagra faut il une ordonnance pour le viagra where to buy viagra online viagra remboursГ© ou pas

  11. 50mg clomid buy clomid usa iui success rates with clomid how long does it usually take to get pregnant on clomid?

  12. lasix side effects buy furosemide 20 mg lasix and congestive heart failure why give furosemide after blood transfusion

  13. viagra safety cialis patent expiration 2016 puscifer v is for viagra when to take viagra for best results

  14. online propecia prices finpecia 1mg which is more effective rogaine or propecia how do i treat my propecia hair loss

  15. nebenwirkungen von xenical where to buy xenical over the counter is orlistat bad for your heart how to take alli orlistat

  16. orlistat 120 says:

    gsk paxil paroxetine buy online does paxil get you high what can hinder paxil from working

  17. seroquel name brand seroquel 800 seroquel and pregnancy birth defects how to tell if seroquel is working

  18. overdose of baclofen where to get baclofen baclofen 20 mg street price what is baclofen used for 10mg

  19. buy diflucan says:

    baricitinib jahh baricitinib 4mg para que sirve el medicamento olumiant baricitinib drivers and barriers

  20. what is ivermectin stromectol 3 mg tablet where can you buy ivermectin oral ivermectin for humans lice where to buy

  21. ivermectin online ivermectin malaria ivermectin 1.87 paste for humans what dogs are genetically hypersensitive to ivermectin

  22. 30 mg paxil says:

    metformin for longevity cost of metformin tablets side effects of stopping metformin what time of day should you take metformin

  23. metformin sitagliptin metformin 500 price what is metformin prescribed for how to lose weight with pcos and metformin

  24. orlistat says:

    paxil for kids paroxetine 40 mg paxil and restless leg syndrome how to counter sexual side effects of paxil

  25. baclofen overdose reversal baclofen cream over the counter can you take baclofen with flexeril how long is baclofen effective

  26. valacyclovir canker sore valacyclovir cost can i take expired valacyclovir how much valacyclovir to take for genital outbreak

  27. amoxil 1g comprimГ© amoxicillin discount coupon amoxicillin overdose amoxicillin side effects

  28. jelly kamagra what is better viagra or cialis where to get viagra in australia how to take viagra

  29. cheap kamagra cialis cost usa best over the counter viagra substitute cialis when to take

  30. synthroid for thyroid synthroid 125 mcg what decongestant can i take with levothyroxine how long do you have to wait to eat after taking levothyroxine

  31. acyclovir vs valtrex valtrex 1000mg pill valtrex dose for bell’s palsy how much does valtrex reduce risk of transmission 2019

  32. anternemn says:

    buy cialis online united states Isotretinoin sotret in germany over night

  33. amoxil medicine information cvs amoxicillin price is amoxil cave good for sinus infection amoxicillin cat dosage

  34. tadalafil vs cialis cialis for prostate where to buy viagra perth how long does it take for cialis to take effect

  35. nolvadex pill buy nolvadex 10mg without prescription nolvadex and aromasin on cycle how many mgs of nolvadex during cycle?

  36. ทดลองเล่นค่าย pg เว็บไซต์สล็อตที่อัพเดทเกมใหม่มาแรงก่อนคนใดกัน ทดสอบเล่นสล็อตเว็บไซต์ตรง พวกเราพรีเซนเทชั่นแพลตฟอร์ม พีจีสล็อต ที่มีความสดใหม่มาแรงเกมได้รับความนิยม

  37. เว็บ ทดลอง เล่น สล็อตทดสอบเล่นสล็อตฟรี โหมดทดสอบเล่นสล็อตpgslotสล็อตตัวเกม ทดสอบ ที่จะมอบประสบการณ์สำหรับในการเล่นเกมสล็อตให้กับท่าน ก่อนตัดสินใจลงพนันจริง! ปั่นสล็อตฟรี

  38. AsankaaAlats says:

    Оптимальная температура дома и в офисе. кондиционер сплит Ballu https://ballu-climate-home.ru/. Отопление, вентиляция, кондиционерование.

  39. pg slot says:

    เสนอ Asgard 888หากว่าคุณกำลังมองหาว่าเกม Asgard 888 มีอยู่ที่ไหน ผมมีคำตอบสำหรับคุณครับ ในปัจจุบันนี้ เกม PGSLOT สามารถเล่นได้ที่เว็บไซต์ออนไลน์ต่างๆ

  40. slot pg says:

    168galaxy เว็บไซต์รวม สล็อต ทุกค่าย ฝาก ถอน ไม่มีอย่างต่ำเป็นเว็บไซต์ที่ให้บริการเกมค่าย pg slot เว็บไซต์ตรง แล้วก็เป็นแหล่งรวมค่าย สล็อตใหญ่ที่สุดในประเทศ และมาแรงที่สุด

  41. pg slot สมาชิกใหม่ says:

    อัพเดทใหม่ทุกวัน ยังมี เครดิตฟรี แจกฟรีทุกวัน เพื่อมอบให้นักเดิมพันทุกคน ได้นำไปลทุน ทำเงินต่อยอด เล่นหลายๆเกม หลายค่าย pg slot สมาชิกใหม่

  42. รับเครดิตฟรี 100 ไม่ต้องฝาก says:

    เว็บสล็อต เล่นสล็อตผ่านมือถือ เล่นได้ทุกเวลา ทดลองเล่นสล็อต รับเครดิตฟรี 100 ไม่ต้องฝาก รวมเกมสล็อตแตกดี slot game รวมค่ายเกมมาใหม่ เล่นง่าย

  43. เกมสล็อตฟรี says:

    แนะนำเว็บสล็อตทำเงินได้ไวที่สุด 2023 รวมเกมสล็อต เกมทำเงินดี ค่ายสล็อตแจกดี ทดลองเล่นฟรี เกมสล็อตฟรี ค่ายสล็อตมาหใม่ 2023 เว็บสล็อตค่ายใหญ่ที่สุด เว็บไม่เด้ง จ่ายเงินจริง

  44. pg slot เว็บใหม่ says:

    เกมสล็อตมือถือ เว็บสล็อตทดลองเล่น เว็บตรง ไม่ผ่านเอเย่นต์ เล่นสล็อตฟรีทุกค่าย จ่ายเงินจริง pg slot เว็บใหม่ สล็อตทำเงินดี ในเกมสล็อตแตกบ่อย โบนัสสล็อตเพียบ รับเงินทุกวัน slot เว็บเปิดใหม่

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *