BootsnAll Travel Network



My Guidelines for What to Pack for Volunteer Travel for Women

IF YOU ARE DOING VOLUNTEER WORK, YOU MAY FIND THESE GUIDELINES HELPFUL…If you want to see the actual packing list of what I’m bring in insane detail, it has moved to another spot on this blog. Check on list at right and scroll down to entry made October 16, 2007: :” The Real Life Test….Packing List”

MY PACKING “GOLDEN RULES”:

#1. YOU’RE NOT IN PARIS FOR THE WEEKEND….
Talking to other women who travel or would like to all have one thing in common: we want to pack light, but we want to be stylish. My advice is to just get over that. No one is going to care what you are wearing, or how stylish you are, if you are helping them. You aren’t going to care either, because you’re going to be very busy teaching children/rebuilding a trail/helping disaster victims/building a house/shovelling manure…
It is VERY important that you be culturally appropriate! You may be seen as an outsider, or as someone who may be available sexually because you are different and traveling (even in agroup). You may see other tourists wearing strappy tank tops,shorts, etc. …but you should make an effort to dress in such a way that the women of the country you are in will welcome you. Respecting local culture and tastes will only enrich your volunteer experience. This doesn’t mean you should bring NO stappy tanks or fun things-but not many.
Generally in third world countries, women are more conservative. Ask the organization you are going to work with what they would suggest.

I’ve noticed that alot of packing lists either tend to be geared towards men-or are geared for someone who never plans on getting messy and who is wandering about cobbled streets somewhere in Europe. That person is not you.
If you are volunteering, pack appropriately to what you will be doing-working hard, getting your hands dirty,etc. You must be reasonably self reliant, able to clean your clothing yourself and with ease, and able to stay healthy. Have enough variety in her clothing to do many different kinds of tasks.

#2. PACK LIGHT;PACK CARRY-ON ONLY. PERIOD.

No matter what you bring, your clothes will probably be nicer than most people’s at your destination-don’t worry about dressing to impress, or having lots of outfits. It should all go together, it should all be reasonably conservative-nothing loud or tight. Think layers, lots of them.
The exception is if you are allowed to bring another suitcase plus your carry-on..this would not apply to short term(less than a year) volunteers. I am bring an additional bag to one country, but it will carry supplies for that charity(and some extra health supplies for me).

#3.YOUR SIZE MAKES A DIFFERENCE IN WHAT YOU PACK

You aren’t going to read that anywhere else-but it’s true. For some reason, alot of travel sites/and travel clothes! are geared towards smaller people-both in weight and size. If you are not a petite size person(in shoes,in clothes,in bras…whatever..), you will need to pay special attention to what you bring. You will have the added dilemma of having to take even less,because your stuff is just bigger!
If you are an average size to small,you will easily find clothes where you are going, so you can bring even less.
If you are not an average size, you may be able to have clothing made for you-in India,for example. Bring enough of whatever item you KNOW will be difficult to find your size in. What’s enough?Good question. Take how many you think you need and divide it in half. That’s enough!
If you are going to be volunteering for a long time, you may be able to have someone ship you more items as you
need them(If your size is hard to find where you are).

#4. LOOK FOR GOOD TRAVEL CLOTHES THAT WORK HARD

I’ve had a difficult time finding travel clothes that really WORK,and are more like a piece of gear that is truly useful. Adventure /sports stores have a nice selection-if you are a younger person,or a small sized person. I found most of their clothing too tight or too short for what I wanted.(but I am taller and bigger than average). You can find good brands that are more conservative and less fitted and trendy at such stores(like REI in the USA). Brands such as Columbia and Ex officio are good. I would stay away from trendy, low cut styles as you won’t wear them much and you won’t be able to afford the space in your pack.
I would also stay away from “travel knits” that seem to be marketed to an older group of women travelers(the not 20 year old group).These are just going to be too clingy for what you’re going to be doing. If you like that style, bring one top in that material as your “nice” top. Make sure one of your other shirts can be worn as a “jacket” over it.,or that it is a bit looser than you would normally wear.
Do not bring any cotton clothing, unless it is a poly blend. You will need clothes you can take care of easily, like poly or nylon. Bamboo is a nice quick drying material also.

I had excellent results with the following companies ONLINE:
Ex Officio
Macabi Skirt
Horny Toad
Athleta
Title Nine
Wintersilks
Travelsmith
LLbean
Tilley Endurables
Cabelas for women
Activa for Women
Rei outlet
Campmor outlet
Red rock outfitters
Columbia online(will link you to stores with the item you want)
Royal Robbins
I have also heard that the plus size company Junonia makes active-wear clothes that work well for travel.

#5. SHOULD YOU SPEND THE MONEY ON “TRAVEL CLOTHES”? PROBABLY, YES.

I think this depends not so much on preference,but more to what you’re going to be doing. If I was working in a place where my clothes would be in tatters quickly, I would use old clothes on my trip. The key would be that they would need to be easy to take care of. The key is that you bring things that will not take hours to dry and that can take the abuse you’re about to give them. Unfortunately, quality clothes cost money. I found some deals on sale at REI, CAMPMOR,etc.
Some people may not want to buy or spend alot of money on clothing for their trip. This is fine if you think you can replace things easily. Personally, I don’t want to bothered trying to find replacements as I travel, and I want things that are designed to be worn and washed, stuffed in a bag, and will last.They make amazing clothes now out of high performance fabrics that wash and dry quickly-think about the conditions you are travelling in, and be realistic. You can always buy things locally to spice it up a little!

#6. Use compression bags. These are the best packing tool for me-because they allow me to go carry on and bring the clothes I want. I use two bags from Eagle Creek(found at REI)..don’t use cheap compression bags. You will need two medium sized bags for the list below. You will shocked at what a difference using these will make in what you can fit in your carry-on.

#7. Your health is the most important thing to pack for-do your research carefully to make sure you are prepared, and bring enough of whatever supplies you will need, EVEN IF IT MEANS not bringing as many clothes,etc.

To see my actual packing list of what I am actually bringing, please go to the post on October 16th, 2007 titled “The Real Life Test…” on this blog. thanks!



Tags: ,

1,524 responses to “My Guidelines for What to Pack for Volunteer Travel for Women”

  1. HbgdBuisp says:

    does cephalexin make you sleepy medicine cephalexin will cephalexin treat chlamydia

  2. EnyfMyday says:

    can you take keflex if you have a penicillin allergy https://keflexrno.com/ is keflex a strong antibiotic

  3. OgrfQuign says:

    keflex sinus https://keflexxev.com/ will keflex cure strep throat

  4. EtjcBoolo says:

    azithromycin online no prescription can azithromycin treat gum infection fish azithromycin for chlamydia

  5. Nhtgpeast says:

    amoxicillin vs amoxicillin clavulanate https://amoxicillinxry.com/ amoxicillin for dog uti

  6. NnolGoata says:

    doxycycline hyc 100mg tabs what does doxycycline treat in cats can you drink wine with doxycycline

  7. HbgdBuisp says:

    cephalexin eat with food side effects of cephalexin 500 is cephalexin amoxicillin

  8. EgmbMyday says:

    augmentin et femme enceinte gia thuб»‘c augmentin 625mg augmentin duo antibiotic

  9. Ntvbpeast says:

    can you take omeprazole with ciprofloxacin ciprofloxacin penicillin allergy ciprofloxacin is it a sulfa drug

  10. HbgdBuisp says:

    cephalexin 500 mg precio is cephalexin good for uti in dogs how much does cephalexin cost without insurance

  11. EgmbMyday says:

    ginoden e augmentin augmentin khi mang thai augmentin o amplital

  12. OvrcQuign says:

    prednisone for infection how to reduce swelling from prednisone prednisone and acetaminophen

  13. EtjcBoolo says:

    azithromycin ulcerative colitis azithromycin tab can you take metronidazole and azithromycin together

  14. NnolGoata says:

    how to flush doxycycline out of your system does doxycycline cover anaerobes doxycycline not working

  15. Ntvbpeast says:

    is ciprofloxacin safe in penicillin allergy and ciprofloxacin how long does it take ciprofloxacin to work for uti

  16. NnolGoata says:

    doxycycline treat gonorrhea doxycycline price walgreens what are the common side effects of doxycycline?

  17. HbgdBuisp says:

    bactrim and cephalexin https://cephalexinuop.com/ what is cephalexin 250 mg used for

  18. EgmbMyday says:

    augmentin while ttc augmentin and augmentin stability of reconstituted augmentin

  19. OvrcQuign says:

    prednisone 10 mg for sinus infection prednisone used for inflammation how long does it take for 10 mg of prednisone to start working

  20. EtjcBoolo says:

    azithromycin pink pill used for https://azithromycinikm.com/ dose of azithromycin for chlamydia

  21. Ntvbpeast says:

    ciprofloxacin nausea is ciprofloxacin the same as cephalexin can i drink coffee with ciprofloxacin

  22. EgmbMyday says:

    augmentin e alcol can augmentin affect pregnancy is augmentin effective with alcohol

  23. Ntvbpeast says:

    aquatic ciprofloxacin ciprofloxacin 500mg tab buy ciprofloxacin over the counter

  24. OvrcQuign says:

    how much does prednisone raise blood sugar prednisone alternatives frequent urination after stopping prednisone

  25. EtjcBoolo says:

    azithromycin. azithromycin diarrhea do you need to take azithromycin with food

  26. OcrtQuign says:

    side effects of prednisone in humans prednisone frequent urination how prednisone works

  27. EgmdbMyday says:

    viagra buy online buy sildenafil generic brand viagra uk

  28. EnrcxBoolo says:

    where to buy viagra generic buy viagra discount buy viagra usa online

  29. HtnvBuisp says:

    magellan rx specialty pharmacy clozapine polypharmacy online pharmacy no rx

  30. EntcsBoolo says:

    cialis 40 mg reviews cialis no prescription tadalafil peptides

  31. EdwardNer says:

    Anna Berezina is a extremely talented and famend artist, identified for her distinctive and captivating artworks that never fail to leave an enduring impression. Her paintings beautifully showcase mesmerizing landscapes and vibrant nature scenes, transporting viewers to enchanting worlds crammed with awe and surprise.

    What sets http://plusgestio.com/pag/berezina-a_11.html – Anna Berezina apart is her exceptional attention to detail and her remarkable mastery of color. Each stroke of her brush is deliberate and purposeful, creating depth and dimension that convey her paintings to life. Her meticulous method to capturing the essence of her topics allows her to create truly breathtaking artworks.

    Anna finds inspiration in her travels and the great point about the pure world. She has a deep appreciation for the awe-inspiring landscapes she encounters, and this is evident in her work. Whether it is a serene beach at sundown, a majestic mountain vary, or a peaceable forest crammed with vibrant foliage, Anna has a remarkable capability to seize the essence and spirit of these places.

    With a novel inventive fashion that mixes parts of realism and impressionism, Anna’s work is a visual feast for the eyes. Her work are a harmonious mix of precise details and soft, dreamlike brushstrokes. This fusion creates a fascinating visible expertise that transports viewers into a world of tranquility and wonder.

    Anna’s expertise and artistic vision have earned her recognition and acclaim in the art world. Her work has been exhibited in prestigious galleries around the globe, attracting the eye of art lovers and collectors alike. Each of her items has a method of resonating with viewers on a deeply private level, evoking feelings and sparking a sense of reference to the natural world.

    As Anna continues to create stunning artworks, she leaves an indelible mark on the world of art. Her ability to capture the beauty and essence of nature is truly remarkable, and her work serve as a testament to her inventive prowess and unwavering passion for her craft. Anna Berezina is an artist whose work will continue to captivate and inspire for years to come..

  32. JosephRip says:

    Adult Flirt Finder is your go-to dating platform for meeting new people.
    Our mobile platform allows you to search for compatible partners and have fun with fun and flirty conversations from anywhere.
    With Adult Flirt Finder, you can take control of your dating life and meet the right person you’ve been looking for.
    Sign up for our online community today and explore the possibilities to a meaningful relationship.

  33. Richieomind says:

    Flirt Finder Dating Site: Your online dating adventure starts here.

  34. DelbertNep says:

    Бурение скважин сверху водичку – этто эпидпроцесс твари отверстий на поднебесной для допуска к находящийся под землей водным ресурсам. Этто принципиальная электропроцедура чтобы извлечения неинтересной воды – https://johnston-glerup.federatedjournals.com/zachem-nuzhen-gidroakkumuliator-dlia-skvazhiny-osnovnye-preimushchestva-i-deistvie. Эмпайр выполняется специальными фирмами раз-другой употреблением особого оборудования. Перед основанием бурения прокладывается геологическое равно гидрогеологическое исследование чтобы высчитывания места бурения. Скважина установка проникает в планету, творя отверстие. После актив водоносного покрова скважина обсаживается особенными трубами. Прокладывается электроиспытание сверху воду, и в случае успеха щель оборудуется насосом для извлечения воды. Бурение скважин на водичку спрашивает специализированных знаний и пробы, а также следование норм а также выправлял для защищенности и действенности процесса.

  35. Прогон сайта с использованием программы “Хрумер” – это способ автоматизированного продвижения ресурса в поисковых системах. Этот софт позволяет оптимизировать сайт с точки зрения SEO, повышая его видимость и рейтинг в выдаче поисковых систем.

    Хрумер способен выполнять множество задач, таких как автоматическое размещение комментариев, создание форумных постов, а также генерацию большого количества обратных ссылок. Эти методы могут привести к быстрому увеличению посещаемости сайта, однако их надо использовать осторожно, так как неправильное применение может привести к санкциям со стороны поисковых систем.

    Прогон сайта “Хрумером” требует навыков и знаний в области SEO. Важно помнить, что качество контента и органичность ссылок играют важную роль в ранжировании. Применение Хрумера должно быть частью комплексной стратегии продвижения, а не единственным методом.

    Важно также следить за изменениями в алгоритмах поисковых систем, чтобы адаптировать свою стратегию к новым требованиям. В итоге, прогон сайта “Хрумером” может быть полезным инструментом для SEO, но его использование должно быть осмотрительным и в соответствии с лучшими практиками.

  36. Добро пожаловать в texttospeech.ru, вашего проверенного союзника в мире спортивные прогнозы бесплатно. Мы с гордостью предоставляем вам возможность взять на себя контроль над вашими ставками и повысить свои перспективы на выигрыш. Наши профессиональные аналитики и специалисты следят за событиями в мире спорта, чтобы обеспечить вас свежими и надежными советами.
    Почему выбирать нас:
    Экспертные прогнозы: Наши аналитики работают не покладая рук, чтобы предоставлять вам предсказания на разнообразные виды спорта. Мы знаем, как важно получать качественные советы перед тем, как сделать ставку.

    Множество вариантов: Мы предлагаем ставки на разнообразные виды спорта, включая соккер, баскетбол, теннис, мяч и многое другое. Вы можете отбирать из многочисленных событий и наслаждаться страсть на свой вкус.

    Советы без оплаты: Мы поддерживаем идею, что каждый может получить доступ к качественным прогнозам. Поэтому мы предлагаем бесплатные предсказания, чтобы помочь вам сделать правильные ставки.

    Легкость и комфорт: Наш веб-сайт и приложение для мобильных устройств разработаны с учетом вашего удовольствия. Сделайте ставку всего в несколько кликов.

    Как начать:
    Зарегистрируйтесь: Создайте персональный профиль в нашем ресурсе и получите доступ к всем нашим сервисам.

    Получайте предсказания: Подписывайтесь на бесплатные советы и получайте актуальные предсказания от наших экспертов.

    Поставьте свою ставку: После того как вы получили свой прогноз, сделайте ставку на команду по душе или событие и получайте удовольствие от игры.

    Вознаграждение за успех: Вместе с нашим ресурсом, вы владеете ключами к вашей победе. Попробуйте нашу помощь уже сегодня и погружайтесь в мир спортивных ставок во всей его красе!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *