BootsnAll Travel Network



The Calcutta Diary: A Volunteer’s Experience

I have to apologize for not blogging…but, quite frankly, up until very recently I haven’t had time–and I haven’t felt that well, either.

I last blogged that I was working full time at Dany Dan–but despite their need and also my desire to help them, the hours were too much for me.

One thing I have heard over and over again from other volunteers and the Sisters themselves is that one must take care of oneself, or one is of no use to anyone.  So I finally told the Sister in charge at Dany Dan that I needed a few half days during the week, and the rest could be full time days.

Already with this new schedule I am much less tired and am feeling more positive about my work. I think it is easy to get “burned out” working with autistic children, let alone doing it in India where everything is overwhelming and assaulting one’s senses left and right.

It took a lot for me to acknowledge that I had some limits and am not superwoman. I got very sick and I was so fatigued I was kind of dragging myself around the city.

I also got a few strange health problems I had never had before.

 For example (and these are just a few)…

 I got a rash with huge boils up and down the front and back of my legs. It was painful to walk, especially as it has been veyr humid and hot. It turned out it was from my Western clothes. Synthetic travel pants are not good in Calcutta–for me, anyway. The solution was to go to a tailor and have loads of salwar kameez made up..sort of loose pants and long smocks, of light silk.

I also had strange rash like patches all over my body. I went to the doctor to find out what it was…his answer? An allergy to the pollution!

I have had some difficulty breathing and chest pain, and the inside of my ears and nose have been blackish from pollution, too.

So, just slowing down and realizing I can’t do it fulltime everyday has given me the tie for some much needed self care.

I should also have more time to blog about being here for now on.

So, until then,

gigi



Tags:

4 responses to “The Calcutta Diary: A Volunteer’s Experience”

  1. I dont care what color you are, what religion, what race..any of those things..I find it appalling that so many folks posting here are demanding liberty for themselves but find it perfectly acceptable to deny the same liberties to others that they see as less deserving of such.

  2. when i fully grasp this post, concerning always pondered relating to this theme

  3. naturally like your web site however you need to check the spelling on several of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling issues and I in finding it very troublesome to inform the reality on the other hand I will certainly come back again.

  4. Hola! Ive been reading your site for a while now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Atascocita Tx! Just wanted to mention keep up the fantastic work!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *