BootsnAll Travel Network



The Calcutta Diary: A Volunteer’s Experience

A general update…

I finally “gave in” and started taking Cipro. There was no choice, as my bowels had decided that I could not leave my room safely and I was feeling worse and worse!

Yesterday I stayed in my room most of the day. I never went to work. I felt terrible physically and anyway I could not bear it, just being on the street turned my stomach into knots.

While I waited for the antibiotic to take effect, I hung out in my hotel room all day and watched the men who work there attempt to patch a hole in my bathroom.

How many men does it take to patch a hole in one’s bathroom in India? As many men as one can find. At one point as I lay feverish and sweaty on my bed, I counted 8 men all trying to patch the hole. Everyone had a opinion and very little work got done.

The hole is still there, as large as it was before.

Unfortunately, so is the very large rat who is using the hole to come into my bedroom and attempt to nibble at my ginger biscuits.

Let’s hope this actually gets fixed sometime during my stay.

While I was hanging out in my room, 6 volunteers came by to see me. Apparently I was missed at work for the last two days. Everyone was worried.  It’s nice to know one has some semblance of community here, in the middle of all of this chaos.

It’s easy to feel somewhat displaced and lonely here. Yesterday I realized that I actually had made quite a few friends–and that’s a good thing to have in a place where it’s not unusual for a volunteer to disappear for a few days and then suddenly one finds out they have cholera or dengue or what have you.

I was feeling miserable and sorry for myself, but the Indian men trying to repair the hole and the numerous volunteers visiting kept things interesting.

I’ll write a post tomarrow that will be full of  things I have seen on the street lately and also about the experience of being fitted for a sari.

gigi



Tags:

13 responses to “The Calcutta Diary: A Volunteer’s Experience”

  1. regime says:

    yop tout le monde j’aime bien cette facon de penser ce commentaire mais le regime est mon soucis.

  2. Superb site you have got here but I was interested in if you knew of any boards that cover the exact same topics discussed here? I’d really love to take part in community where I will get opinions from other experienced individuals who share the same attention. If you have any kind of recommendations, please let me recognize. Thanks!

  3. What I have observed in terms of pc memory is the fact there are specific features such as SDRAM, DDR and so forth, that must match up the specs of the motherboard. If the pc’s motherboard is fairly current and there are no computer OS issues, improving the storage space literally takes under one hour. It’s among the list of easiest laptop or computer upgrade procedures one can think about. Thanks for revealing your ideas.

  4. i prefer the thought that was stated below in regards to a splitting up of perception and comments however uncertain the method that you could organize them conveniently.

  5. Ugg Boots are special as they help people make an impressive fashion statement because of their unique design after the difference Genuine uggs are made from sheepskin and imitations made from wool should be avoided at all costs Ladies, care for yourself and wrap your feet in womens Ugg boot Normally, certain thing with superb durability and solace is expensive Next click on ‘online retailers But at that time, the civil aviation industry in the eighth five-year period, the pilot’s training plan every year around 600, overcapacityAn genuine pair is essential merely because genuine ugg boots sheepskin could be only found on genuine items Trusty jeans along using the hottest skirts could be each matched with this style

  6. One thing I’d prefer to say is that before obtaining more computer system memory, consider the machine directly into which it could be installed. When the machine will be running Windows XP, for instance, a memory limit is 3.25GB. Using greater than this would purely constitute some sort of waste. Make sure one’s motherboard can handle the actual upgrade quantity, as well. Thanks for your blog post.

  7. I conceive this site contains some very good info for everyone :D. “A friend might well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature.” by Ralph Waldo Emerson.

  8. As a general rule I tend not to create comments on websites, however I will need to bring up that this blog post definitely forced me to do this. Truly admirable piece of writing.

  9. training says:

    There are various packages available to optimize the cost. A healthy diet is the surest way to get rid of whiteheads and to keep your skin in a good condition on the long run. With mercy, tenderness and grace, we are now in the position to welcome our fellow villagers into our homes, but we must also realize that we are being welcomed into their homes.

  10. whoah this blog is excellent i like studying your posts. Keep up the great work! You already know, lots of individuals are looking round for this information, you can aid them greatly.

  11. Phen375 UK says:

    When this process is combined with Leptin, the weight loss will be significant.

  12. barrage lalla takerkouste au maroc – agence du bassin hydraulique de tensift…

    This is my expert…

  13. barrage lalla takerkouste au maroc – agence du bassin hydraulique de tensift…

    barrage lalla takerkouste au maroc – agence bassin hydraulique tensift…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *