BootsnAll Travel Network



On Being A Resourceful Traveler

Something that has been on my mind lately..

Today I was my last day in France. I celebrated by going into “town”–a tiny village nearby called Syselle.

I’m sure many people would miss this sweet little charming place, or think there was nothing to see and do there. However, I had a wonderful few hours there, doing everything from eating locally made pastry to visiting a little known bird sanctuary to finding myself drinking wine at an impromtu wine tasting in the local supermarket.

I guess I’ve always been the kind of person that can make the best of it, or “make do”. Certainly this skill is incredibly useful when it comes to the art of travel. But what is probably even more important is knowing how to be resourceful when one travels.

Resourceful. I realized today that if I was asked to descibe what kind of traveler I am, I would use that word to descibe myself.

Resourcefulness and backpacking go hand in hand. Unfortunately, the word resourceful in this context generally conjures up the backpacker who is having to be resourceful because they really don’t have enough money to travel in the manner to which they are attempting. This is the backpacker who is always looking for a “connection”, a place to stay in the next city or country, or looking for a free meal.

Not that there is anything partially wrong with this scenario, but it’s not the kind of resourcefulness I’m talking about here.

I’m talking about the kind of resourcefulness that really allows one to have a fuller, deeper, and more “live like the locals” kind of travel experience. For example, being in a tiny village for several hours in the south of France, and finding out that there are alot of hidden gems in the area, just by walking around, observing people, and talking with them. Not going to the expensive tourist restaurants and sights, but choosing instead to talk with a sculptor who takes you on an impromptu tour of his studio. Finding the cemetery and listening to an old man, raking the gravel walkways, talk about how his village has changed over the years.

In attempting to be a resourceful traveler, not only do I find myself in strange situations with people I would not normally have the likelihood to meet, but I am forced to practice a degree of self reliance that is similar to inviting 10 people to dinner and starting to cook the meal 10 minutes before they are due to arrive. It feels a bit crazy, flying by the seat of my pants through one interaction or experience after another, but it’s so much more satisfying. Afterwards, I always find myself saying, “Did you really just do that?!”

This trip which started as such an organized, well thought out plan, of where I was going to where I was staying for the next few years has happily disintegrated into a trip where I hope I have no idea of what I am doing tomorrow. I love not knowing what is next because it forces me to think, to act, to make choices based on my impressions and my skills. Maybe even develop some skills right there in that moment–like when I was in Guatemala and had to row my own wooden canoe through water snakes and crocodiles. I had never rowed a canoe in my life, and I was afraid of boats, let alone crocodiles–I looked around for some gringo or guide to help me and there wasn’t one. It was just me. I learned to row a canoe in about 2 minutes! (Landing it and getting out were another story entirely!)

In a few days, I will be in an area of the world that is the gateway to the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, a small cluster of islands of the coast of India. It’s a place of many a traveler’s fantasies, with beautiful beaches, bamboo huts, and diving and snorkeling. But is that all there is?

The answer is no, in spite of what any guidebook will tell you. What is actually there remains to be seen, to be discovered.

I started out reading guidebooks religiously when I started this trip. I carried them around like they were the Bible, and I only went to things they suggested. Unfortunately, I soon learned that that is what most other travelers were doing too. Now I use the books as a basic guide to start out with and then give them away, preferring to get completely disoriented and figure things out by myself.

But back to the Andaman Islands..There are 6 different indigenous groups living on the islands, along with a mix of everyone else who has decided to go and live there over the years. Of these groups, some have resisted outsiders by becoming quite violent at the sight of a foreigner, while others have had their population increase dramatically due to religious conversion, amongst other reasons.

I imagine the Andaman islands full of rich tourists looking for a tropical island getaway and poorer backpackers, swinging in hammocks and taking  a diving  class or two. It’s also full of lots of displaced people who have lost their identity since losing lands and territories due to a huge tsunami that hit the islands several years ago.

I’ve been thinking about going to the islands, because they are very close to Calcutta and one can get there by boat. But I don’t want to be a rich tourist, and hire a guide…nor do I want to follow the advice to the letter of whatever Lonely Planet says about what to see and do. For me, Lonely Planet is a resource–a place to begin. But it’s not the journey.  The journey is after you give up the backpacker scene and move in with the locals.

Why go all the way to the other side of the world just to hang out with people just like myself? When I have done this (My first 2 months in Xela, Guatemala comes to mind) I have been so unsatisfied with my journey and my understanding of the culture. I like the challenge of being different, of being around difference, because it forces me to rely on myself and be a resourceful traveler.

I’d much rather get very much off the gringo trail, get completely lost, be with people who spoke a language I did not understand, and have one interesting adventure to talk about when I got home–paired with a deeper understanding of place.

I imagine that going to the Andaman islands would be no different than going to a small, seemingly faceless village in France. It doesn’t have to be a touristy destination–in fact, it could be a destination that becomes one of the most significant on my around the world trip, and teaches me the most about the environment and global warming.

Resourcefulness is key for the  sensitive traveler who wants to appreciate what things are actually like for the people they are seeing in the street, the shops, the market. It’s the key to understanding why one is traveling in the first place, and it requires getting off the beaten trail to do just that.

I know Calcutta will prove to be place where resourcefulness is a valuable, and even necessary, skill.  Hundreds of volunteers are attracted to coming and working there every year, and there is a strong gringo presence in some areas of the city. I know that my first few days there, that’s where I’ll be, eating my tofu burgers and swapping traveler’s tales on the rooftop of some backpacker hostel.

But after a few days of that, I hope to be living far away from that part of town, hopefully in a local’s house or a rented room in the middle of who knows where, struggling to figure out a language and customs while experiencing some serious culture shock all on my own.

Flying by the seat of my pants, and loving every minute of it.

gigi



Tags:

67 responses to “On Being A Resourceful Traveler”

  1. I leave a leave a response each time I appreciate a post on a website or if I have something to valuable to contribute to the discussion. It is triggered by the sincerness communicated in the post I read. And after this post this blog name. I was moved enough to leave a comment 😛 I actually do have a few questions for you if you don’t mind. Is it just me or does it appear like some of these remarks look like left by brain dead individuals? 😛 And, if you are posting at other online sites, I’d like to keep up with you. Would you make a list every one of all your communal pages like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

  2. I do not create many responses, however i did some searching and wound up here this blog name. And I actually do have 2 questions for you if it’s allright. Could it be just me or does it look as if like a few of these responses come across as if they are left by brain dead individuals? 😛 And, if you are posting at other online sites, I would like to follow everything new you have to post. Could you make a list of all of all your communal sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

  3. I hardly comment, but i did a few searching and wound up here this blog name. And I actually do have a couple of questions for you if you usually do not mind. Is it just me or does it give the impression like some of the remarks look like written by brain dead people? 😛 And, if you are writing at other online sites, I would like to keep up with everything new you have to post. Would you list of the complete urls of all your communal sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

  4. May I simply say what a comfort to discover someone that actually understands what they’re discussing over the internet. You certainly understand how to bring a problem to light and make it important. A lot more people need to check this out and understand this side of the story. I was surprised you are not more popular because you surely have the gift.|

  5. I love the efforts you have put in this, regards for all the great articles.

  6. I wish to express my thanks to the writer for bailing me out of such a crisis. Just after exploring through the online world and meeting suggestions that were not powerful, I believed my entire life was well over. Being alive without the presence of strategies to the issues you’ve sorted out as a result of your entire website is a critical case, as well as the ones which may have adversely damaged my entire career if I had not discovered your web site. Your personal understanding and kindness in maneuvering every aspect was crucial. I’m not sure what I would’ve done if I had not discovered such a thing like this. It’s possible to at this point relish my future. Thanks for your time so much for the high quality and results-oriented guide. I will not be reluctant to recommend your web blog to anybody who should get recommendations about this issue.

  7. Some truly nice and utilitarian info on this site, likewise I think the style has got good features.

  8. Ludie Olecki says:

    It is truly a nice and useful piece of info. I am satisfied that you shared this useful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

  9. Martin Blais says:

    I consider something genuinely special in this web site.

  10. I together with my buddies came digesting the good solutions found on your website and instantly got a horrible feeling I had not thanked the web blog owner for those secrets. Those men were certainly passionate to read them and have truly been taking pleasure in these things. Appreciate your simply being considerably considerate and then for deciding on this form of outstanding resources most people are really wanting to be aware of. My very own honest apologies for not saying thanks to earlier.

  11. I just want to tell you that I am just newbie to blogs and certainly enjoyed this web page. Likely I’m planning to bookmark your blog . You certainly come with really good articles and reviews. Many thanks for sharing your blog site.

  12. Norah Pauli says:

    Somebody essentially assist to make severely articles I would state. This is the first time I frequented your website page and so far? I surprised with the analysis you made to make this particular post incredible. Great job!

  13. Wow! This can be one particular of the most useful blogs We have ever arrive across on this subject. Actually Magnificent. I am also a specialist in this topic so I can understand your hard work.

  14. Norah Pauli says:

    Absolutely pent content material , appreciate it for entropy.

  15. I was looking through some of your blog posts on this internet site and I think this website is very instructive! Retain posting.

  16. Ludie Olecki says:

    Very interesting information!Perfect just what I was searching for! “The most wasted day of all is that on which we have not laughed.” by Sbastien-Roch Nicolas de Chamfort.

  17. Thanks for sharing superb informations. Your web-site is so cool. I’m impressed by the details that you’ve on this blog. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this web page, will come back for extra articles. You, my friend, ROCK! I found just the information I already searched everywhere and simply could not come across. What a great site.

  18. Zella Younie says:

    I really enjoy examining on this website , it has got great blog posts. “Those who complain most are most to be complained of.” by Matthew Henry.

  19. you are truly a just right webmaster. The site loading speed is amazing. It seems that you are doing any unique trick. In addition, The contents are masterwork. you have performed a excellent task in this matter!

  20. Hi colleagues, its fantastic post concerning tutoringand completely defined, keep it up all the time.|

  21. I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own weblog and was curious what all is needed to get setup? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I’m not very internet savvy so I’m not 100 sure. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks|

  22. I’m really impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a great blog like this one nowadays..

  23. Wow! This can be one particular of the most helpful blogs We’ve ever arrive across on this subject. Basically Magnificent. I am also an expert in this topic so I can understand your effort.

  24. sell says:

    Hello! Would you mind if I share your blog with my myspace group? There’s a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Thank you|

  25. Home says:

    Appreciating the time and energy you put into your site and in depth information you offer. It’s nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same out of date rehashed material. Great read! I’ve saved your site and I’m including your RSS feeds to my Google account.|

  26. Hi there to all, how is the whole thing, I think every one is getting more from this web page, and your views are fastidious designed for new users.|

  27. Admiring the time and energy you put into your website and detailed information you provide. It’s nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same outdated rehashed material. Fantastic read! I’ve saved your site and I’m adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.|

  28. Nice post. I used to be checking continuously this weblog and I am inspired! Very useful info particularly the ultimate phase 🙂 I handle such information a lot. I used to be looking for this particular info for a long time. Thanks and best of luck. |

  29. anchor says:

    I for all time emailed this webpage post page to all my friends, as if like to read it next my friends will too.|

  30. Now I am going to do my breakfast, later than having my breakfast coming again to read more news.|

  31. Helpful info. Lucky me I found your site accidentally, and I’m shocked why this twist of fate didn’t came about in advance! I bookmarked it.|

  32. You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!|

  33. Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! However, how can we communicate?

  34. Full Content says:

    Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your blog? My website is in the very same niche as yours and my users would truly benefit from a lot of the information you provide here. Please let me know if this ok with you. Regards!|

  35. Hello there! This article could not be written much better! Looking through this article reminds me of my previous roommate! He constantly kept preaching about this. I most certainly will send this article to him. Fairly certain he’ll have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!|

  36. Great blog! Do you have any helpful hints for aspiring writers? I’m planning to start my own site soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you suggest starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m totally confused .. Any ideas? Cheers!|

  37. I was curious if you ever considered changing the layout of your website? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or two images. Maybe you could space it out better?|

  38. fantastic issues altogether, you just received a logo new reader. What might you recommend about your put up that you simply made a few days ago? Any sure?

  39. Good article. I am going through many of these issues as well..|

  40. experienced says:

    It’s hard to come by experienced people about this topic, but you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks|

  41. Thanks , I’ve just been looking for information about this topic for ages and yours is the best I have found out so far. However, what concerning the conclusion? Are you certain concerning the supply?|

  42. I am sure this piece of writing has touched all the internet users, its really really nice paragraph on building up new weblog.|

  43. You are my breathing in, I have few web logs and occasionally run out from to post .

  44. I’m curious to find out what blog platform you’re using? I’m experiencing some small security problems with my latest site and I’d like to find something more secure. Do you have any suggestions?|

  45. try here says:

    Wow, incredible blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you made running a blog look easy. The entire look of your website is magnificent, as well as the content!

  46. Amazing! Its truly amazing paragraph, I have got much clear idea on the topic of from this post.|

  47. I used to be suggested this web site by my cousin. I’m no longer sure whether this publish is written through him as nobody else understand such distinct about my difficulty. You’re incredible! Thanks!|

  48. Does your site have a contact page? I’m having a tough time locating it but, I’d like to shoot you an email. I’ve got some ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it expand over time.|

  49. Shyla Rabuck says:

    Very interesting information!Perfect just what I was looking for! “Water is the most neglected nutrient in your diet but one of the most vital.” by Kelly Barton.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *