BootsnAll Travel Network



Ode To Simon, the best dog in Guatemala

I´m finally here in Panama, but before I start writing all about my newest adventures, I owe an entry to Simon.

Simon was my constant companion when I was in Guatemala. You could say he was a dog, but he was so much more to me. Having left my dog behind in the States to go on this trip, I was especially vulnerable to his charms.

He was a brownish dog, with a liver colored nose, of medium build, and only about a year old.

From the moment we laid eyes on each other, we were in love. He was at my door every morning, waiting for his oatmeal…and hung out all day, waiting for a scratch behind the ears or one of Dina Minas tamales.

When I first met Simon, he was a bit unruly, like an out of control teenager-he jumped up on you with the intent of knocking you down! Slowly, over time, he began to listen to commands(but still only when he felt like it!) and eventually would come in the front door and lie on his special blanket.

The funny part about his name was that it is spelled ¨Simon¨, but pronounced like ¨Semen¨. It was hard bnot to crack up when I had to call out his name across the milpa, ¨Semen,Semen!¨

Simon had some special skills as well-he could smell a plate of tamales from the minute he nudged my metal door open. Once he detected where they were hidden, he could adeptly steal one with out anyone noticing, and take it outside, where he would delicately peel off the husk to get at the maiz inside. He also had amazing empathy for crying children, and his face would soften when he heard a child cry-then he would go over to the child and nudge them til they laughed.

My favorite story about Simon is when a strange dog came into my house one night. It was a large boxer and very dangerous. All the dogs where I lived were terribly underfed, and I´m sure when it saw me it panicked, probably only wanting food, not a person to deal with! The dog came at me, and bit me on the ankle-I yelled out, and in that moment Simon arrived, and chased the other dog away. From that point on, he kept all other dogs away from my house.

So Simon, this entry is for you. Thanks for all long walks together in the forest, thanks for sharing my oatmeal with me in the morning, thanks for comforting me at all the right times.

To see photos of Simon, go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/truelifeplanet/
He´s the brown dog with the yellow eyes.

gg



Tags:

8 responses to “Ode To Simon, the best dog in Guatemala”

  1. Kathy Moore says:

    I wish you could take Simon with you, but I’m sure the complications would be beyond belief. I am sorry you had to go to so much trouble to get your luggage back. I’m sure the positive will out weigh the bumps in the road. You have been fortunate to have so many wonderful people help you. I bet your spanish is top notch by now. Is there much difference (language )from place to place? Is there any way to stay in touch with those left behind? I love to read about this dream trip. I’m sure your visit to Winters will be very welcome.

  2. Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire actually enjoyed account your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently quickly.

  3. I just wanted to say thanks because I was searching for the latest news on this subject about that the iphone for a while now. As you might probably recognize already, iphone technology is here to stay and improve for that the long haul.

  4. For those who may not be aware, the radiothon is being hosted by Andy Johnson who is a popular radio talk show host with a dedicated and loyal following.

  5. Someone told me there is an easy method of getting instantaneous updates each time a web page makes a fresh entry and never have to look at it yourself, how can i do this?

  6. Howdy, I do enjoy reading all of your posts. I had no choice to write a little comment to support you.

  7. Top free classified ads…

    Free classified advertising worldwide have a distinctive and best connection with advertising around enjoy investing have a great time in advertising free advertising posting site…

  8. Solar says:

    Appreciate the professionalism and depth of knowledge evident in each post. Solar

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *