BootsnAll Travel Network



Novena Noche in La Esperanza

The other night, I got invited to a Novena with the family I live with.

A Novena is something Catholics do, for a person who has passed away. Here, the tradition is that the Novena take place exactly one year after the person´s death. A year ago, one of the brothers in the family passed away, quite young, of cancer. So a Novena was held for nine days for him in his house, with the family and friends in attendence.

It was quite an honor to be invited along, so of course I said yes, although I was a little bit worried, as neither of my teachers were going to be there-so I was going to have to manage with just my Spanish! We all piled into the car, and off we went to the brother´s house.
When we arrived, I noticed two things immediately: one, there were only women there; and two, the room we were all supposed to fit into was tiny. I mean, like really small, doll size. i felt enormous, and sort of felt like Alice in Alice in Wonderland-the doorway way so small, and there were like 30 women crammed in this tiny room, all looking at the gringa in wonder.

Someone showed me to a plastic chair, and there I sat, looking around, observing the scene. There were women of all ages there, in slightly formal dress. Everyone was very sweet and nodding my direction-there was some concern whether or not I was a Catholic- and after it was discovered I was, things relaxed. All the chairs faced a shrine,with a big painting of Jesus; photos of the deceased; candles; and flowers. There was sort of a white tent over the whole thing, and the closest family members sat near this tent area in the front.

Music was passed around, and after much talking and pleasantries, the women all begaan to sing. It was really beautiful, and i thought it especially so because it was just all these women singing sweetly in this tiny room, lit by candles.

The main part of the Novena is to pray for the deceased person´s soul. This is done using traditional Catholic prayers and of course, the rosary. For those of you not familiar with the rosary, it is basically a series of prayers and pleas for assistance to Mary. It is always the same for a Novena. The rosary was completely in Spanish, and I tried to keep up, but someone had thrust a toddler on my lap, and she was entertaining herself by putting my rosary in her mouth-so at a certain point, I just kept count of the beads in my head.

The Novena was very difficult for the family members, as the man had died quite young and left a wife and two children behind. But everyone kept their focus on their part of the Novena(it was decided beforehand which person would read which part) and so it went smoothly.

After the Novena was finished, the food was brought out. For Novenas, there are special foods prepared that are only for similiar occassions. For this particular night, they prepared coffee and a sort of deep fried tamale, filled with sugar and black beans. It was very rich and very sweet. Everyone was given quite alot of food, but hardly anyone ate much while there-napkins and containers accompanied the sweets, and pretty much everyone packed up their food to take home for the kids and the husbands.

I really enjoyed the experience-I felt like I got a glimpse of something, a part of the life here, that I would never get normally. it made me really happy that I had decided to live with the family, and that they considered me family enough to include me in such a private event. (for those of you out there concerned with such things-they wanted me to write about it here!)

The other thing I really enjoyed was that I was at an event with only women. Such things are rare here-although I´ve been in kitchens while tortillas and tamales were being prepared and there were only women present-it´s different when it´s outside of the home, and a formal event. Apparently men do attend sometimes, but only the most immediate male family members.
I really enjoyed the women´s singing,devotion, and comraderie. It was a very fulfulling evening.

Next time I write..on Tuesday,,I´ll be writing about Dia Del Diable(Day of the Devil) which was last night. On this day, they have huge bonfires and burn all their trash, clean their houses, and the kids have more fireworks than I´ve seen in my entire life!

gigi



Tags:

115 responses to “Novena Noche in La Esperanza”

  1. I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy following your volunteer trip… your writing is so clear it puts me right into the place – I can almost feel the cold cinder blocks and taste the tortillas!

    I hope your trip is turning into everything you could have ever wanted – thanks so much for sharing it with the rest of us.

  2. Victoria says:

    I just wanted to make sure you knew that I have been reading your journal with so much appreciation. Even though I know others are too, there were no comments, so I had to send you a fan letter, especially after reading about the Novena. nrnrThank you for allowing us a picture of your incredible journey. You write beautifully and evocatively. nrWith love,nrVicnr nrnrP.S. I sent your blog address to Jan and Laura. They will love it.

  3. lee says:

    Hey, Como estas! I really enjoyed your blog! what a great work your doing out there, I love Guatemala tambien! Do you have an email? I would love to ask you a question.. Cuidate mucho
    -Lee

  4. Kathy Moore says:

    Gigi, I wrote something to you,but I guess it didn’t go thru. I have a vivid picture of you in your travel clothes and open mindedness for new experiences. I’ll write more if this goes thru.

  5. priligy lasting longer in bed sexual treatment information related to premature ejaculation and dapoxetine -priligy, the drug targeted to cure this disease Buy-Dapoxetine-Hydrochloride1 post – Last post: 30 AugBuy Priligy Onlinebuy priligy online 80mg; buy priligy online generic; buy online priligy duloxetine; buy priligy online premature ejaculation; buy online priligy dapoxetine Priligy FDALa DapoxetineWe can supply the powder of Dapoxetine, cialis, sildenafil, vardenafil, Yohimbine and the finished product (such as tablet, capsule.). 1 post – 1 author – Last post: 30 AugDapoxetine PriligySome dapoxetine uppishly half done providing nine glee club certificate haunt incommodity to gin manihot tallahassee emmenthaler reclaiming amongst 2010?7?17? Order Dapoxetine Free Shipping Dapoxetine Online Without Rx. Purchase Not Expensive Fedex DapoxetineDapoxetine Regular Sellers, Dapoxetine Manufacturers, Dapoxetine Exporters, Dapoxetine Wholesalers, Dapoxetine Distributors Middle East B2B Directory, dapoxetine hcl manufacturers directory. Browse china dapoxetine hcl products posted by dapoxetine hcl manufacturers, suppliers, factories, exporters, Buy Priligy Dapoxetine

  6. Write A Book says:

    I seen your website using google and that i must say, this is probably the best well prepared articles I had locate from a while. I have got bookmarked your web sites for more posts.

  7. I believe everything wrote made a ton of sense. However, think on this, suppose you composed a catchier title? I am not saying your content is not solid, but suppose you added a post title that makes people desire more? I mean this blog name is kinda vanilla. You ought to look at Yahoo’s home page and see how they create article headlines to grab people interested. You might try adding a video or a picture or two to grab readers excited about what you’ve got to say. In my opinion, it could bring your blog a little bit more interesting.

  8. Devis says:

    This website was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I’ve found something that helped me. Thank you!

  9. you’re actually a good webmaster. The website loading velocity is amazing. It seems that you’re doing any unique trick. Also, The contents are masterwork. you have performed a great activity on this topic!

  10. Thank for your great in infomation. Beside , I want to recommend my service to give an opportunities to invest a apartment: chung cu the golden palm

  11. The U.S. National Instituute on Aging is als anticipated to release
    the results of research oon the safety of testosterone.

    my web page – http://ava.pe.kr/xe/board_ZRNF53/467454

  12. Google says:

    Check below, are some totally unrelated internet sites to ours, even so, they may be most trustworthy sources that we use.

  13. Google says:

    That is the end of this article. Here you will come across some web sites that we feel you’ll value, just click the links.

  14. The facts mentioned inside the write-up are several of the top readily available

  15. chat gratis says:

    always a massive fan of linking to bloggers that I enjoy but don’t get lots of link appreciate from

  16. just beneath, are numerous completely not associated web sites to ours, even so, they are certainly worth going over

  17. climax says:

    that could be the end of this write-up. Here you’ll come across some internet sites that we feel you’ll value, just click the links over

  18. Here is a great Weblog You might Obtain Fascinating that we Encourage You

  19. Sites of interest we have a link to

  20. we came across a cool web-site that you could possibly take pleasure in. Take a look in the event you want

  21. Car Wreckers says:

    Every as soon as inside a even though we opt for blogs that we read. Listed beneath would be the newest web sites that we decide on

  22. one of our guests not too long ago encouraged the following website

  23. check below, are some completely unrelated internet websites to ours, however, they’re most trustworthy sources that we use

  24. just beneath, are several completely not related internet sites to ours, on the other hand, they’re certainly worth going over

  25. Skill Saw says:

    that is the finish of this report. Here you’ll discover some internet sites that we consider you will enjoy, just click the hyperlinks over

  26. although websites we backlink to beneath are considerably not related to ours, we feel they may be essentially really worth a go by means of, so possess a look

  27. car wreckers says:

    Here is a great Weblog You might Uncover Intriguing that we Encourage You

  28. here are some hyperlinks to websites that we link to due to the fact we assume they are really worth visiting

  29. adam and eve says:

    we came across a cool web site which you might delight in. Take a search in the event you want

  30. anal lube says:

    Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine a couple of unrelated data, nevertheless genuinely worth taking a search, whoa did one find out about Mid East has got a lot more problerms at the same time

  31. check below, are some totally unrelated internet sites to ours, nevertheless, they may be most trustworthy sources that we use

  32. bondage gear says:

    we like to honor quite a few other net web-sites around the net, even if they aren’t linked to us, by linking to them. Below are some webpages worth checking out

  33. katun says:

    Here are a few of the web-sites we advocate for our visitors

  34. Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine several unrelated data, nevertheless really really worth taking a search, whoa did one study about Mid East has got a lot more problerms at the same time

  35. check beneath, are some entirely unrelated web sites to ours, having said that, they are most trustworthy sources that we use

  36. iPhone says:

    Here is a superb Blog You may Discover Intriguing that we Encourage You

  37. here are some links to web sites that we link to mainly because we feel they are really worth visiting

  38. we came across a cool web page that you may possibly delight in. Take a look if you want

  39. Solar Of Hawaii – Buy Solar panels & Complete Solar Systems- Solar Systems Services including #1 rated Solar World & Mitsubishi Electric Solar Power on the Big Island of Hawaii. Professional Solar Installation Available in Hawaii.

  40. that would be the finish of this article. Here you’ll discover some web pages that we believe you’ll appreciate, just click the hyperlinks over

  41. just beneath, are numerous completely not related web pages to ours, nevertheless, they’re surely really worth going over

  42. Solar Of Hawaii – Buy Solar panels & Complete Solar Systems- Solar Systems Services including #1 rated Solar World & Mitsubishi Electric Solar Power on the Big Island of Hawaii. Professional Solar Installation Available in Hawaii.

  43. Beau Peed says:

    Hey there would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re working with? I’m looking to start my own blog in the near future but I’m having a hard time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique. P.S Sorry for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

  44. Hi, I think your site might be having browser compatibility issues. When I look at your blog in Opera, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, very good blog!

  45. The data mentioned within the post are a few of the ideal obtainable

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *