BootsnAll Travel Network



Notes From Paris, Part Three: Arabic Culture and the Latin Quarter

This is Part Three of a series from when I was staying in Paris for two weeks.

Sights seen/Things done, and cost: 

1. Bought Arabic sweetmeats: 50 cents

2. Took the metro to a station near the mosque: 1.40

3. Bought two figs at the outdoor market: 40 cents

4. Visited 3 Islamic bookstores along the way to the mosque: free

5. Visited the mosque: 3 dollars

6. Walked thru the Latin Quarter: free

7. Visited the University. Art Exhibit. : free

8. Visited the Arabic Institute: went to exhibit; went to top of building to look at one of the best views of Paris: free

9. Spent time in bookstore in Arabic Institute, bought two postcards: 2.oo

10. Ate lunch in front of the Arabic Institute: free

11. Walked along the Seine, and looked at all the outdoor art along the river: free

12. Ended up in the Botanical Gardens: free

13. Walked home, bought a loaf of bread and some cheese and fruit: 4.00

Total cost for the day: $ 11.40 usd

Today I got up pretty early and decided to head to the Paris Mosque. It is near quite a few other things I wanted to see, including the Arabic World Institute and the Latin Quarter.

The idea of today was to make it a day where I experience a different side of Paris-not just the cookie cutter Eiffel Tower experience, but more multicultural. I decided to have my focus today be on Arabic and Islamic culture, as I know nothing about it whatsoever. It’s very easy to not know much about it, since I am American and we Americans are not exactly encouraged to learn more.

I stopped off at the falafel place near my apartment. Ahbib, the guy who runs the place spoke excellent English and I told him about my plans for the day. He was very kind and very happy that I was taking an interest in his traditions. He sold me some little sweetmeats, a kind of little roll soaked in honey and then covered in sesame seeds. I got a whole parcel for just 50 cents! And he told me that the same sweets would cost me at several dollars at the Arabic Institute or the Mosque.

I head to the metro station near my house. It’s a zoo, as everyone is going to work at this hour. Next time, I will avoid this rush and leave the house a little later. I’ve heard that people get pick pocketed on the metro when it’s crowded, and it’s definitely crowded enough for that to easily happen, but it doesn’t. I somehow manage to make all the right train changes and realize that the metro is fantastically well organized and much easier than I was previously making it out to be. (It’s a funny thing: when you are with other people, who know where they are going-as I was when I arrived and the following few days afterwaards in Paris-you don’t pay any attention to anything on the metro, so it seems overwhelming. Then after few tries on your own, it seems so simple!)

I get off at the stop by the mosque. It turns out there is a farmers market that day. I want to take pictures of all the cheese sellers, vegetable and fruit stands, and the other things but it seems like the people won’t like the idea. There are also some amazing pashimas and Indian goods there , sold very cheaply. I buy some figs from a man from Jordan and he gives me directions to the mosque. He also suggests an Islamic bookshop along the way.

I find the bookshop. It seems to be called, “Al. Bustane.”, and it’s run by this old, extremely tidy looking man, who is very friendly. There are loads of books on Islam, prayer beads, little caps, prayer rugs…there is also an adjoining room, with all titles in English and French. He speaks English so we talk for awhile and he knows all about the history of the Paris Mosque. I visit a few other bookshops along the way, and everyone is always very nice and friendly.

I keep walking, hit by new sights, smells, flavors. It smells of Indian food, incense, and another smell I can’t place-kind of like candy. It’s a sweet smell.

I discover the source of the smell just as the mosque comes into view-a shop is making honey candy.

The mosque itself, from my view at first, doesn’t look like much. Then I round the corner and see the tall tower. it’s beautiful.

I walk up to the front of the mosque, which is across the street from a small park. The park and the steps of the mosque are filled by beggars, all women. One woman passerby has given a beggarwoman a shawl, and the beggar woman doesn’t want it. She seems to know the woman who has given her the shawl and so she doesn’t want it. She spits on it and throws it into the street. Another beggar woman runs out across the street and takes the shawl, gently placing it back in the first beggar woman’s hands. The woman cradles it in her arms.

Along with this strange scene is another one stranger still-white women tourists wearing miniskirts and tank tops, being wrapped in gray cloth so that they can enter the mosque. They look tan, fit, healthy-out of place next to these beggar women, who look somehow lumpy and nondescript in their ample clothes. The tourists also look embarrassed, like they don’t like having to be all covered up by the gray sheets.

I walk up the steps and go in. No one stops me to cover up-I’m wearing a long black skirt that comes almost to my ankles and a tshirt. While I’m getting directions about where to go to pay the admission fee, the tourists have decided they can’t take walking around in sheets and have given up entering the mosque. They take off their sheets and carefully fold them, handing them back to the men at the doorway, who look off into the horizon or stare into the garden at some distant speck of dust. The girls leave red faced and in a huff.

The office is run by Mohamed the day I am there. He is a volunteer, as they all are. He speaks some English and has been to, of all places, Las Vegas. But he dreams of going to Montana. I learn this while chatting about the mosques history and looking at badly photographed pictures of the mosque they are selling as postcards. Mohamed also teaches me to say thankyou in Arabic.

I wander around the mosque for over an hour. It’s beautiful. There is something about the style of Arabic architecture, tile work, and even gardens that are perfectly pleasing to the eye. Every color, design, pattern and shape is all thought out ahead of time, to make it the most pleasing possible. It’s a joy of blues, greens and cool white.

I sit in the garden and imagine I am somewhere in the Middle East. This is probably the closest I will ever get.

They are going to close for prayer. People, in particular men, have begun to arrive and have entered the prayer hall. Outside the prayer hall are hundreds of pairs of shoes, all neatly lined up. I’m not allowed in the prayer hall, of course, but I glance in and it’s stunningly beautiful, with every available space being taken up by woodwork, tile work, and carpets.

I decide it’s time to go and start to head towards my next stop, the Arabic World Institute, which means wandering thru the Latin Quarter. When I first read the words “Latin Quarter”, I thought it meant Latin like Latino! But the name actually comes from the fact that students and their teachers all spoke in only Latin here until around the Revolution.

The Latin Quarter is fantastic-it’s full of used bookstores, cheap eateries, and loads of students. It’s very laid back and casual, and it’s fun to wander thru the streets. I finally end up in front of the Sorbonne, Paris’ most famous university.

It looks interesting, so I decided to take a look. It turns out there is a big exhibit of students art there today, as well as a famous painter. The students all speak English, and they smile and point the way to the exhibit. It turns out it’s free, too. Perfect. Not only that, there is free coffee!

I leave the Sorbonne and make my way to the Arabic World Institute. This is actually something I have been wanting to see since I read about it. Of course, I wanted to see the inside of the place , but I have to admit that I was equally interested in seeing the outside of it as well.

The building is hard to describe, but I will try: it’s like a huge silver box, made up of squares, each square being a bunch of metal bits that are mechanized and open and close. It gives the effect of a Borg ship from Star Trek or something like that,all in glass and aluminum. The squares are all slowly opening and closing at different times, so the building never looks quite the same.The building was designed by the famous architects Nouvel and Soria.

Once inside the building, things are a bit tricky. No doubt because it’s the Arabic World Institute, you have quite a screening process to get thru. The museum is quite pricey for what you get, so I skipped it and instead looked at a free temporary exhibit of Arabic scientific artifacts. Arabic culture was remarkably advanced and had much more scientific knowledge than anyone else did for much of history. Afterwards I went up to the 9th floor, which has a fancy place to spend alot of money for a cup of mint tea..but I skipped that and just looked at the fantastic view of the city.

The bookstore inside the Institute is amazing-it’s the biggest Arabic bookstore in Europe and it has loads of music, too. My favorite thing were all these postcards written in Arabic script of famous quotes. I bought I a few of these as I thought they would make nice gifts.

After a lunch of or figs and sweetmeats, I wandered down to the Seine. This river truly is romantic, filled with barges and tourists paying for somewhat overpriced ferry rides, with the banks of the river lined with people out walking their dogs and young couples holding hands.

This particular part of the Seine is also lined with a a really fabulous collection of outdoor sculpture-and it’s free, too. Some of it I really liked, and some of it I thought was  extremely ugly-but either way, I enjoyed looking at most of it and the walk led me to the entrance of the enormous Botanical Gardens.

Wow. These were insanely beautiful, and full of Parisians as well, who  were out enjoying the nice sunny weather.

I just walked around for hours!! I thought to myself, ” If everyday in Paris is like this, I will be in love with this city!”

The gardens have been described by some as Eden like, and I would have to agree. However, breaking up all this beautiful monotony are these annoying uniformed people who walk around and tell you to get off the grass. Apparently, it’s just for show. Odd.

There are also a fair share of scam artists, pickpockets and so on around, so that made photgraphing difficult when I had to grip my bag the whole time. And, in spite of looking like the perfect garden to stare off into space into while dreamily reading a novel, it’s not really possible due to the number of undesirables waiting for you to let your guard down so they can steal your camera and cheese sandwich.

But, nonetheless, the garden is spectacular. French people think so, too- they would much rather spend their days off in these beautiful gardens than their tiny apartments, and they walked around exclaiming over the size of the dinner plate dahlias as much as I was.

I realized I had to walk home still, although I could have taken the metro. I decided to walk and pick up a few things for a light dinner on the way back.

I actually found my apartment! Made it up the skinny flights of stairs! Made myself a cup of coffee and flopped on the couch!

A beautiful, full, and exciting day. What will tomorrow bring, I wonder?

gigi



Tags:

3,334 responses to “Notes From Paris, Part Three: Arabic Culture and the Latin Quarter”

  1. Aw, this was a very nice post. Taking a few minutes and
    actual effort to make a good article…
    but what can I say… I hesitate a lot and never manage to
    get nearly anything done.

  2. John Webber says:

    My spouse and I absolutely love your blog and find a lot of your post’s to be what precisely I’m looking for.
    Does one offer guest writers to write content in your case?
    I wouldn’t mind writing a post or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write with regards to here.
    Again, awesome website!

  3. Hi there! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with
    Search Engine Optimization? I’m trying to get my
    blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very
    good results. If you know of any please share. Many thanks!

    Feel free to surf to my web page :: madden mobile coin buyer

  4. This is the cause we created our latest Appnana Guitar that is hadk which will be available PC, on Android, iOS units.; This way, the suppliers
    of the hack resojrces state that get any card you’ll have the opportunity
    for nanas thbat are limitless and you want within the gains made available from the original
    app.; for evaluation,I May spot AppBounty someplace in between FreeMyApps and FeaturePoints.;
    I’ve been implementing that I really coul mazke certain that
    is legit and AppBouty requirementts since a year ago.

  5. Each cell has a hard and fast communication system that serves all mobile units inside that cell.

    My site Lords Mobile Wiki

  6. Hello my loved one! I want to say that this post is awesome,
    great written and come with approximately all significant infos.
    I’d like to peer more posts like this .

  7. Today, it seems that airlines add fees for everything related
    for travel. Fees for checked baggage continue to increase.
    Therefore, the a great idea to pack so that you can carry-on your travel bag or anyway have
    one less bag to look at. You may have friends who have health issues from carrying
    bags that are too heavy. Whether traveling by air,
    train or car, there are some travel packing tips you should
    remember when getting organized and prepared to pack for your next cruise.

  8. Hi, I log on to your blog daily. Your writing style is witty, keep up the good work!

  9. babyfon info says:

    It’s awesome in favor of me to have a web site, which is helpful designed for
    my experience. thanks admin

  10. Dexter season 5 episode 2., ‘Hello, Bandit,’ is the beginning of America’s favorite
    serial killer turning to his Dark Passenger to cope with his despair.
    The murder of his wife Rita has shaken Dexter’s url
    to humanity and human comments. While Dexter thinks the kids would benefit
    from grief counseling, he consistently on the use human prey to improve his predicaments.

  11. sex says:

    Hey! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are
    you using for this website? I’m getting tired of WordPress because I’ve had problems with
    hackers and I’m looking at options for another platform.

    I would be great if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

  12. djarum says:

    We had been amazed at exactly how much tar and nicotine is blocxked down after just one cigarette so we would certainly
    state that claim to reduce tar and nicotine holds true to reality.

    Feel free tto surf to my blog :: djarum

  13. The council members decide to give more. And every person sitting here tonight
    – city and non-city residents need to have give
    better. Five dollars, ten dollars, whatever is affordable to
    scholarhip. I am going to stand behind my words and write a
    check to area of Sacramento. I hope everyone will do the really.
    For Parks, Police, Firefighters, and Golf!

  14. bim 100 says:

    This is often a story of passion and passionate differences, experienced
    by couples facing the strategic and often wrenching shifts taking place on the home front.

    One aspires to maintain in your dream house filled with
    the warmth, beauty and romance of a log home, while the other agonizes in the concept.

  15. Hi there! I understand this is sort of off-topic however I needed to ask.
    Does running a well-established website like yours require
    a large amount of work? I am completely new to running a blog however I do write in my diary daily.
    I’d like to start a blog so I can easily share my experience
    and thoughts online. Please let me know if you have any ideas or tips for new aspiring blog owners.

    Appreciate it!

  16. How persons do backseat passengers . that speak different different?
    Do you know a real challenge lot of Spanish speaking people?

    May bother you at all when people engage in a Spanish conversation in your presence.
    The conversation could about and also your you
    were not sure! That is the reason you should become fluent in Speaking spanish.

  17. It’s an amazing post for all the web visitors; they will take advantage from it I
    am sure.

  18. Genia says:

    Why viewers still use to read news papers when in this technological globe everything is existing on net?

  19. Buying a brand robe can be confusing a few start looking into
    all the different styles, fabrics and colors of robes available a marketplace.

    Part of these include kimono style robes, shower wraps, spa robes, hooded
    robes, and beach parcels. The majority among these shower wraps and robes are on 100% terry cotton cloth.
    Other common fabrics that these notice are velour, bamboo and cotton, Turkish cotton or cotton and polyester combinations, fleece, polyester fabrics, as well as 100% Organic Natural cotton.

  20. Computers can main part of our life now 24 hours. We use it
    for our social media outlet, be it facebook, twitter, You Tube, or simply emails.
    Have got on it 2,3, or 4 times a day. We depend on it to assistance personal data like our online banking, our
    bills are all paid online, we shop on line and we order food online.
    You might say we that more than our cars, vans, and SUVs’.

  21. siwakong.org says:

    We alll will react slightly in a different way (sometimes dramatically) to completely different strains of marijuana with various rahges of thc, thc-a, cbd, cbg, cbn.

  22. Hi there, all is going perfectly here and ofcourse every one is sharing data, that’s in fact
    good, keep up writing.

  23. Myra says:

    Do you have a spam problem on this site; I also am a blogger,
    and I was wanting to know your situation; we have created some
    nice methods and we are looking to exchange techniques
    with others, why not shoot me an e-mail if interested.

  24. The Sydney Best Removalists have friendly and trained staff.
    They help to bring along all your stuff additionally provide the
    boxes for that safe packing of the crockery additional related target.
    They ensure apparently of your valuable and precious things and subjected to testing expert in safe moving of the merchandise.

    There are many removals companies and you’re able to have a whole lot of choices but you should first consider what
    identify and are usually the your necessities? If you want that your furniture eliminated without any damage right now there is no scratch to them then essential definitely consult the best removalists Down under.

  25. Although it is currently legal to own a boa constrictor
    in New Brunswick, other provinces have analysis on snake ownership at this time.
    The pet store, Reptile Ocean, has posted
    condolences to the boy’s family on their Facebook internetsite.
    They also claimed to be shutting down their page due with regard to
    an influx of negative criticism. The snake may be
    found and captured in the policeworldwide police. Although details are
    sketchy off this particular animal, constrictors can grow to be as long as 13 feet.

  26. You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find
    this topic to be actually something which I think I
    would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for
    me. I am looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!
    fotbollströjor

  27. Good respond in return of this matter with firm arguments and explaining the whole thing regarding that.

    Check out my web blog – csgo skins price

  28. Alica says:

    My relatives all the time say that I am killing my time here
    at net, except I know I am getting familiarity daily by reading such good
    articles or reviews.

    My weblog … car accident reports (Alica)

  29. Bennett says:

    Hello! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with us so I came to look it over.
    I’m definitely enjoying the information. I’m bookmarking
    and will be tweeting this to my followers! Fantastic blog and wonderful style and design.

    my web site – senior real estate (Bennett)

  30. There is definately a great deal to learn about this subject.
    I like all of the points you made.

    my page: Watch this for more information

  31. I must thank you for the efforts you’ve put in writing this site.
    I’m hoping to see the same high-grade blog posts from you in the future as well.
    In truth, your creative writing abilities has motivated me
    to get my very own blog now 😉

  32. Their probabilities oof Android 2.1/2.2 and bᥱyond getting on even morе and more gadgets.
    Remember, it’s a genuine figures video game աith installs and activations now and Android haas simply Ьegan tο gain floor in emerging markets.”

  33. Nice post. I learn something totally new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon on a daily basis.
    It will always be interesting to read through articles from other authors
    and practice something from other sites.

    Here is my web site :: madden mobile coins no survey no download

  34. Great info. Lucky me I recently found your blog by
    accident (stumbleupon). I have bookmarked it for later!

  35. Fundamentado nos estudos sobre a saúde da senhora,
    Ca de útero é segundo maior índice mundialmente mecionado pelo ministério da
    saúde com 19.260 novos casos no tanto as mulheres são orientadas a realizar examinação preventivo, porém nem constantemente cumpre com seu papel
    de mulher cuidadora. http://web-ide.ir/ranking/index.php?a=stats&u=sheldongallant5

  36. I blog quite often and I genuinely appreciate your information. This article has really peaked my interest.

    I am going to take a note of your blog and keep checking for new details about once per week.
    I subscribed to your RSS feed too.

  37. kiddy seat says:

    What’s up to every , as I am genuinely keen of
    reading this website’s post to be updated regularly. It contains
    pleasant stuff.

  38. home gym says:

    What’s Happening i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I
    have discovered It absolutely useful and it has helped me out loads.
    I hope to give a contribution & assist different customers like its aided me.
    Great job.

  39. My brother recommended I would possibly like this blog.
    He used to be entirely right. This publish actually made my day.
    You cann’t believe simply how much time I had spent for this
    information! Thanks!

  40. Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It truly useful & it
    helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back
    and aid others like you helped me.

  41. Excellent way of describing, and fastidious post to take data concerning my presentation subject, which i am going to present in institution of higher education.

  42. Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long as I provide
    credit and sources back to your site? My website is in the exact same niche as yours and my visitors would certainly benefit from a lot of the information you present here.
    Please let me know if this alright with you. Regards!

  43. I all the time emailed this webpage post page to all my friends, because if like to read it afterward my links will too.

  44. Rosemary says:

    I like this weblog very much, Its a rattling nice berth to read and find information.

    My web-site real estate agent (Rosemary)

  45. Greetings! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a team of volunteers
    and starting a new project in a community in the same niche.
    Your blog provided us useful information to work on. You have done a extraordinary
    job!

  46. Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on sites I stumbleupon everyday.
    It’s always helpful to read through articles from other
    authors and practice something from their sites.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *