BootsnAll Travel Network



I Find A Place To Live

So last off, I had no real place to live.

After checking out several possibilities, of which there were very few indeed, I decided to ask a woman who works at the hospital if I could live with her. She immediately beamed, and said yes!

So that afternoon, the ambulance-the only car around at the time-took me to my new home.
My new home is with the Ngobe family of Catalina , her son Arturo, his cat Mieko(ngobe for cat), and their dog, Rocky(named after the movie series). Also visiting at all hours, eating, sleeping, and hanging out, are about fifiteen to twenty members of Catalina´s family. I couldn´t tell you their names just yet-I can´t remember them all.

The house is situated on a rather large lot, surrounded by trees and flowering plants, as well as a grassy lawn. It is a cement cinderblock house, similiar to the one I lived in in Guatemala. It is a very upscale house for Soloy-most people live in shacks of one or two rooms, made of planks or sticks bound with jute. An added bonus is that her house has solar panels, so I have electricity and also get to watch an occassional Bruce Lee movie with Arturo(they charge a car battery and run the VCR off of that.)

Catalina is wonderful, really wonderful. She always seems to be joyful, and is constantly fretting if she thinks I am not content. Arturo is unusual for being a single schild, as most people here have somewhere between eight and fifiteen children-and he is the center of attention, as you would expect. One thing I really like about him is that he really loves his cat, Mieko, and he plays with it and feeds it snacks alot. This is unusual here, as people do not feed their dogs or cats at all here-maybe a scrap occassionally, but alot of the time, they are literally starving. Mieko is quite plump.

Also living at the house are a very large pig, which stays tied up onto a tree in the yard. He is actually tied up right near one of my windows in my bedroom, and he gets quite noisy when he is not happy. They are fattening him up with maiz and other things for Arturo´s big birthday bash in May. I´m sort of relieved I won´t be here to eat him, as he seems like a very smart pig.
There are also abouit twenty chickens and one rooster, who run about all day long underfoot, even into the house, looking for crumbs.

Rocky the dog is a new addition-they just brought him down from the mountain yesterday-he´s small, very skinny, brindel colored, with enormous ears. He was starving up there, so they brought him down with them. When they brought him home yesterday, they tied him up with the innertube of a bike tire, and the dog couldn´t even lay down-I told them to untie him, and made him alot of spagetti, which he ate like he hadn´t eaten in days. He is a bit mean, and apparently had bitten people before, and I am hoping that by feeding him I will disuade him from biting me in the future.

My living with Catalina is a new thing in the community-it´s the first time they have ever done a ¨homestay¨here. One of my jobs while here is to train some of the families how to have a guest, a volunteer ofr otherwise, in their home. There are alot of new things for them to learn-and for me too.

more later,
gg



Tags:

9 responses to “I Find A Place To Live”

  1. Jim says:

    I´m sort of relieved I won´t be here to eat him, as he seems like a very smart pig.

    This is about the funniest thing I have ever read. Your gift of altruism is rivaled only by your gift of turn of phrase! :o).

  2. Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I in finding It really useful & it helped me out a lot. I’m hoping to offer one thing again and aid others such as you aided me.

  3. Excellent article again. I will be anticipating for your upcoming post;)

  4. Robbie Landers says:

    I’ve read over this article and if I could I desire to suggest to you some fascinating things or suggestions. Perhaps you and I can discuss them.

  5. Adalin says:

    Howdy anyone. I used to be just surfing cyberspace for enjoyable and came on your site. Fantastic post. Thank you a whole lot for sharing your working experience! Its fine to find out that a lot of people even now set in an energy into controlling their websites. I will be sure you test back again from time totime.

  6. I have learned new things via your website. One other thing I want to say is that often newer laptop os’s tend to allow more memory to be used, but they additionally demand more storage simply to perform. If a person’s computer is unable to handle much more memory as well as newest software package requires that memory space increase, it could be the time to shop for a new PC. Thanks

  7. Timmy Anauo says:

    I will right away grasp your rss feed as I can not to find your email subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Kindly allow me recognize so that I may just subscribe. Thanks.

  8. Apryl Denker says:

    It’s super that I found a webpage like this. This is everything what I was looking in the Internet! That website made available notes, what are very interesting for me. I will recommend this website to my friends!

  9. Good site! I really really like how it is easy on my own eyes and the info are very written. I’m asking yourself the way i might be advised every time a fresh post has been manufactured. We have subscribed to your supply which usually must do the key! Have a very great day!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *