BootsnAll Travel Network



How To Eat Wasp Larvae

Last Friday, I was suddenly caught in a torrential downpour. I was walking along the road to get to class-when the rain began to come down, turning the road into a reddish, muddy river.

When it rains here, it doesn´t rain-it pours. You stop whatever you are doing and take shelter in whatever is closest(or you slog your way thru it to get to your destination). I had no umbrella, and was wearing flip flops…so I thought heading for  shelter would be the wisest choice.

There were a few hamlets of houses near me-and I ran to the one that had the best overhang, thinking I could just sit under that for awhile. As soon as I showed up on this particular family´s ¨porch¨, they all came over to get a closer look at the gringo.

There were about 20 people living in this particular hamlet, aged 1 to 50 or so years old. There were no men to be seen-only women and children. It turned out that a few of the kids had been in my English class for kids a few weeks ago, so I was luckly welcomed not as a visitor, but as a friend. I had a packet of coffee in my backpack, so I offered them the coffee, and we all sat around drinking it and watching the rain.

I happened to have my camera, so I asked if I could take some photos of the kids. As I snapped away, suddenly it seemed that 40 or more kids were there-it turned out the whole neighborhood heard I was there, and all the kids came racing over. Most people have rarely seen themselves in a photograph(except for the standard Panamina ID photo), so everyone loves seeing themselves in a picture.

I had been there about 2 hours, when they offered me lunch. I am very nervous about eating stranger´s food still(since getting so ill in the very recent past), but I could see that they were boiling the water and so on, and besides, the meal seemed to consist of solely white rice. Sure, I said.

About half and hour later, one of the women brought me a tin plate with a heap of rice on it..and..an equally large heap of wasp larvae.

Let me first say that I had heard that the Ngobe ate wasp larvae, although I had never seen them do so. Many Ngobe think this is a ¨backwards¨custom, something from the past. However, in a place where money is little and protien sources are expensive, it´s a viable food source for many people here.

That said, um, wasp larvae is not easy to eat. For one thing, it sort of looks like it´s moving around, even when it´s quite dead. Secondly, it looks like what it is-whitish, maggot-like creatures. Third, it´s very, very chewy.

Here is my advice for those of you who try to eat this particular food in the future:

1. Don´t let your mind start playing tricks on you-it is dead, it´s not moving. And if it is, well, you´re going to have to be polite and eat it anyway. If it is moving, sort of look away while you mush it on to your fork. This will avoid you noticing if it is squirming or not.

2. It´s very chewy. Very. The best way to deal with this is not to chew too much, or you will be chewing away for ages. Just get it into your mouth and swallow quickly. Try to follow each swallow with some drinking water-if you have any. This helps it from getting lodged in your throat.

3. Smile alot. It´s a big deal for your hosts to give you so much of what is a very precious, protien rich food. They are giving you the best of what they have, and you should try to demonstrate that you are very pleased. Avoid grimacing or turning green.

One of my Ngobe friends here has offered to prepare wasp larvae for me in banana leaves, and I think I´m going to take her up on this offer-just to try it. Practice makes perfect, after all.

gg



Tags:

53 responses to “How To Eat Wasp Larvae”

  1. Oh Gigi, I was keeled over with laughter! I’m fortunate to have escaped this particular treat but it did bring to mind a certain feast in rural Algeria some years ago when a lamb was massacred – and I was offered one of the eyeballs swimming in a bowl of soup. The situation simply did not permit me to decline, so I slipped it into my mouth with a spoon, hoping it wouldn’t touch the tops of my teeth – the thought of biting into it was just too much. So I opted for the only alternative open to me – I swallowed it. A bit like a large warm marble making its way down your throat.

    This is the fun part of travel, isn’t it! 😉

  2. Kathy Moore says:

    What are you going to eat when you get back to Winters next month? It is amazing what you go thru to keep from hurting feelings. Is there anything you are really hungry for? You are right about our buying habits. We probably throw away more food than your friends have seen. You are exhibiting what is best about our country.

  3. Hiya! My partner and I frequently write guest posts for other website owners to help gain exposure to our work, as well as provide great content to weblog owners. It’s a win win situation! If you are interested feel free to email me at: Vache49@gmail.com so we may discuss further. Many thanks!

  4. Denis Opel says:

    Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again very soon!

  5. I’ve been browsing online greater than three hours as of late, but I by no means found any fascinating article like yours. It’s lovely worth sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made just right content as you did, the internet will probably be much more helpful than ever before.

  6. I am really inspired with your writing skills as well as with the format on your weblog. Is that this a paid theme or did you customize it your self? Anyway stay up the excellent high quality writing, it is uncommon to look a great blog like this one nowadays..

  7. I seldom drop comments, however i did a few searching and wound up here this blog name. And I do have a couple of questions for you if you do not mind. Could it be simply me or does it look like a few of these responses appear like coming from brain dead folks? 😛 And, if you are writing on other social sites, I would like to keep up with everything new you have to post. Could you make a list of every one of all your social sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

  8. My wife and i got relieved Chris could carry out his analysis by way of the ideas he came across out of the site. It’s not at all simplistic to just be handing out secrets and techniques that a number of people may have been making money from. Therefore we fully grasp we’ve got you to give thanks to for this. The entire explanations you have made, the simple blog navigation, the friendships you will help engender – it’s got everything awesome, and it is assisting our son and the family do think that situation is exciting, which is certainly especially essential. Thanks for the whole lot!

  9. That was a perfect write-up. I do not agree with every single single thing that you said but still good nonetheless. On a side note, I am so ecstatic that the NFL is back. It seems like I been patiently waiting forever. This has to be my favorite time of the year. Sorry, I’m rambling. lol

  10. I have really learned result-oriented things through your site. One other thing I would like to say is the fact newer computer operating systems have a tendency to allow additional memory to get used, but they as well demand more storage simply to function. If an individual’s computer cannot handle extra memory as well as newest computer software requires that memory increase, it can be the time to buy a new Computer. Thanks

  11. generic ambien manufacturers 鈥?buy ambien fast shipping

  12. Hallo es jeder, es ist meine erste besuchen an diesem Website und post wirklich fruchtbar Unterstֳ¼tzung der me, halten Entsendung wie Artikeln oder Rezensionen .

  13. iherb.com says:

    I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great.
    I do not know who you are but certainly you’re going
    to a famous blogger if you aren’t already 😉 Cheers!

  14. Simply wish to say your article is as surprising. The clarity to your put up is simply great and i could assume you are knowledgeable in this subject. Fine along with your permission let me to clutch your feed to stay updated with impending post. Thanks 1,000,000 and please keep up the enjoyable work.

  15. LynneWDursch says:

    If you are going for best contents like myself, just visit this
    site every single day because it offers feature contents, thanks

    Also visit my blog: LynneWDursch

  16. here says:

    I simply want to mention I am just very new to blogs and certainly loved your blog site. Likely I’m want to bookmark your blog post . You amazingly have amazing well written articles. Regards for sharing your blog site.

  17. MendyKCriton says:

    Hello, its pleasant post concerning media print, we all be familiar with media is a wonderful source of data.

    Feel free to surf to my web-site – MendyKCriton

  18. best site says:

    I simply want to say I’m beginner to weblog and really enjoyed this website. More than likely I’m want to bookmark your site . You absolutely have excellent posts. Thanks a lot for revealing your website.

  19. EllisOWalema says:

    Hi, I actually do believe this is a great blog.
    I stumbledupon it 😉 I’m planning to return once again since I
    book-marked it. Money and freedom is the best way to change,
    may you be rich and then help others.

    Also visit my web page – EllisOWalema

  20. OdisBRaybuck says:

    Once I initially commented I appear to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added-
    checkbox and from now on when a comment is added I become 4 emails with exactly the same
    comment. Perhaps there may be a way you are able
    to remove me from that service? Thanks a lot!

    Feel free to surf to my web blog – OdisBRaybuck

  21. MerlinHRevis says:

    Hmm is anyone else having problems with the images on this blog loading?
    I’m trying to determine if its a problem on my end or if it’s
    the blog. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

    Here is my web-site MerlinHRevis

  22. UteYPresho says:

    Amazing! This blog looks exactly like my old one!
    It’s with a completely different topic but it really has virtually exactly the same page
    layout and design. Excellent selection of colors!

    Feel free to visit my webpage; UteYPresho

  23. RandeeKPetry says:

    What’s up to every one, because I am actually eager of
    reading this website’s post to be updated on a regular basis.
    It consists of fastidious stuff.

    Feel free to surf to my website :: RandeeKPetry

  24. SherryWRigby says:

    Hi, i read your site occasionally and so i own a comparable
    one and so i was only curious when you get lots of spam remarks?

    If so how do you control it, any plugin or anything
    you can suggest? I recieve a whole lot lately it’s
    driving me mad so any assistance is quite much appreciated.

    Look into my web blog SherryWRigby

  25. DarenVRoches says:

    It’s a shame you don’t possess a donate button! I’d definitely donate to
    this particular outstanding blog! I suppose right
    now i’ll be happy with bookmarking and adding your Feed to my Google account.

    I look forward to brand-new updates and may share this blog with my Facebook group.
    Chat soon!

    Also visit my web blog … DarenVRoches

  26. ZulaWLaramie says:

    After I originally commented I seem to have
    clicked the -Notify me when new comments are
    added- checkbox and from now on each time a comment is added I recieve 4 emails with similar comment.

    There must be a method it is possible to remove me from that service?
    Thanks a lot!

    My web-site: ZulaWLaramie

  27. WildaQEasdon says:

    Every weekend i utilized to head to see this website,
    because i want enjoyment, because this this site conations really
    good funny stuff too.

    Feel free to surf to my webpage – WildaQEasdon

  28. OraMOncale says:

    Hello! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with SEO?

    I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good results.
    If you know of any please share. Many thanks!

    Take a look at my site; OraMOncale

  29. CarlRLebel says:

    Asking questions are actually fastidious thing should you be not understanding
    anything fully, but this bit of writing gives good understanding even.

    Feel free to surf to my web site … CarlRLebel

  30. ArleneSMurri says:

    After I initially commented I seem to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are
    added- checkbox and from now on each time
    a comment is added I receive 4 emails with exactly the same comment.
    There has to be a method you can actually
    remove me from that service? Thanks!

    Also visit my website: ArleneSMurri

  31. DennyXRape says:

    Greetings! Extremely helpful advice in this post! It’s the little changes that produce the very best changes.
    Many thanks for sharing!

    My homepage :: DennyXRape

  32. EmeldaILutts says:

    You actually make it seem very easy together with your presentation having said that i find this matter being really something that I do believe I might never understand.
    It appears too complex and very broad for me personally. I
    am just anticipating for your next post, I will try to find the hang than it!

    Also visit my web blog: EmeldaILutts

  33. ChanVGarra says:

    Heya i’m the first time here. I found this board and so i
    discover it truly useful & it helped me to out a good deal.
    I really hope to give something back and help others such as you aided
    me.

    my web-site … ChanVGarra

  34. Gallagher says:

    Awesome and keep doing good work. visit my channel for fun time. … https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8lXnImfKEjqFlTMo31sTqw/videos

  35. click site says:

    su016c Wow, great article post.Really thank you! Want more.

  36. see this says:

    Hi there, There’s no doubt that your blog could possibly be having browser compatibility issues. When I look at your web site in Safari, it looks fine however, if opening in Internet Explorer, it’s got some overlapping issues. I merely wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other than that, wonderful website!

  37. Anytime That i bring Smart Balance Wheel http://adf.ly/6249830/banner/www.fashionhoverboard.com I noticed individuals consider everybody! 🙂

  38. more says:

    I simply want to say I am just new to blogging and actually enjoyed this web-site. Very likely I’m planning to bookmark your blog . You definitely come with tremendous article content. Regards for sharing with us your web page.

  39. Harold says:

    This is great stuff. I am just in the process of setting up a social media plan for one of my clients. You just made my life easier! Thank you!!!

    http://allin1panel.com/blog/social-media-marketing-diaries/

  40. keywords everywhere competition

    I found a great…

  41. Jak jeździć oszczędnie

    […]How To Eat Wasp Larvae » TravelBlog Archive » true life planet[…]

  42. buy usa proxy

    I found a great…

  43. buy best proxies

    I found a great…

  44. Erlinda Matarrita

    I found a great…

  45. cheap usa proxy

    I found a great…

  46. senuke proxies

    I found a great…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *