BootsnAll Travel Network



First Day With the Ngobe-Bugle

So I´m here in Soloy, writing on a computer in the school´s computer lab-which was donated by Bill Gates. It´s a little surreal.

Soloy is kind of the unofficial capital of the Comarca, which is an independently governed territory of several groups of indigenous people in Panama. It is the dry season right now, so it´s rather hot and dusty. The town itself is rather spread out; there is no town center, jst a sprinkling of tiendas and few comedors which serve rice and chicken. There is no electricity, no running water, no paved roads-you have to sit in the back of a four bu four for several hours to even get here.

I am here to work with Medo, which is an grassroots organization that helps the Ngobe people in a variety of ways.

A bit about the Ngobe: They are the largest group of indigenous people in Panama. They have an extremely conservative culture, but they are surprisingly modern at the same time. The men wear western clothes, while the women wear these long, voluminous colorful dresses, with sailor like collars and puffy sleeves.

The first few days I was here, I was living in the Health Center-Panama has free health care centers all over the country, and this is one of them. They treat the Ngobe in the area there for all types of ailments, including tuberculosis. There is a compound next to the center where tuberculosis patients live with their families.

I am now temporarily staying in the schools dorms until some other alternative can be drummed up, as there was no space for me in the health center.

Yesterday was my first day here, and there is so much to tell of my impressions here. There is dire, extreme poverty; there are very very thin dogs everywhere; there are houses made only of a few pieces of metal or thin sticks. The poverty is constant and shocking.

At the same time, there is a certain energy coming form the people and the inhabitants, a cetrtain hopefulness. It´s not there all the time, but it is there. There are many community aid organizations here-both Panamian and international, and a dizzying array of projects, from a new public school, to road improvements, and going on at the same time.

The womens dresses are particularly appealing-sort of almost like something you would see in a circus, very very bright colors, with trims of triangles or zigzags of constrasting colors. Orange with red and blue. Hot pink with yellow stripes and purple zigzags…I am supposed to wear these while here, and I am having one made for me. It should turn out quite interesting-they come down to the ankles, so since I´m so tall, they have to make a special one just for me! That should make for some good photos!

I am working with Adan, who is Ngobe himself, and is the director of Medo. Today I got a better idea of what my jobs will be here, and they are numerous. here is a partial list:

Teacher of English for the doctors and nurses at the hospital
Teacher of English to the Ngobe children
teacher of English to the Ngobe adults
Help Adan with his English
Build compost bins for garden
Work on/improve watering system for garden
Improve library
Start kids group for recycling project
Latrine project
Work with the Artesian womens group
Develop ecotourism ideas for Adan

It´s alot. !!!

It´s beautiful, and outside of two peacecorp volunteers, it´s just me and the Ngobe.

gg



Tags:

7 responses to “First Day With the Ngobe-Bugle”

  1. Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice at the same time as you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a weblog site? The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit familiar of this your broadcast provided bright transparent concept

  2. part bmw says:

    Good to get visiting your page once more, its been years for me.

  3. Great goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you are just too magnificent. I really like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it smart. I can’t wait to read far more from you. This is really a great web site.

  4. Wool lining, gentle rubber soles as well as a sheepskin shaft are additional to these boots A few years ago, a small interaction with the surrounding friends envy boyfriend small booksWell the obvious answer is your feet are like warmed toast in winter – ugg boots act like a second skin and can warm feet even in temperatures as low as 30 degrees These classics are also available in the metallic style as well It is wise to wait for sales at the end of the season when most websites offer their boots at great discounts Walking in the house even requires something cosy and soft to keep us warm These elegant pairs are with normal and deluxe lace up and highly resistant to any damages Every season has its own charm You can easily avail these marvelous collections from online stores but before that make sure, you are availed with genuine sheepskin boots at your destination

  5. barrage lalla takerkouste au maroc – agence du bassin hydraulique de tensift…

    This is my expert…

  6. barrage lalla takerkouste au maroc – agence du bassin hydraulique de tensift…

    barrage lalla takerkouste au maroc – agence bassin hydraulique tensift…

  7. The article gives a broad review without being too much for the reader

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *