BootsnAll Travel Network



Camino de Santiago No. 4: Hobbling to Akerreta

I left Zubiri in the morning in better spirits, determined to do what I could as far as the Camino was concerned.

Having spent the previous night nursing both my ankle and my psyche, I had decided that the injury happening so soon was perhaps a blessing in disguise.

From the very start of the Camino, I had been really surprised by all the rushing around to be the fastest, the best, and so on. Maybe this was because although I just spent a week in the States before arriving in Spain, I´m still living by Central American time and values. I have to admit a certain amount of culture shock upon arrival to Spain, which seemed to have only worsened with the start of the Camino.

But I think it is also that here I am in one of the most beautiful places I´ve ever seen-and, I want to see it. I don´t just want to get thru it. I want to experience it, I want to savor it.

So I began to see the injury as a gift, really. It´s forcing me to create my own Camino, to go my own way-which is slower and perhaps more interested in the journey than in the arriving at any particular destination. In fact, I realized that I may never arrive in Santiago at all-and if and when I do, the Compostella(the paper saying you walked the last 100 km) may end up not being terribly important to me.

So, this new revelation in mind, I dawdled over a breakfast of apples and granola, and then hobbled out to meet a new day on the Camino.

With this more enlightened(for me, anyway) and relaxed approach, the next few hours were heavenly. Every old building I passed, I touched. Every pasture of cows and sheep, I stood and watched. Rounding a corner and hearing the tinkling of cowbells sounded like a beautiful eerie song to my ears. Stopping at makers along the Camino, I made time to pick a few flowers and place them on the gravestones. Another walker, a man from Australia, walked with me for a bit and told me about his divorce and his spiritual reasons for walking the Camino, and then disappeared on ahead of me. A woman watering her flowers outside her enormous stone cottage stopped and shook my hand, wiping her muddy hand on her housedress first. A man with an enormous dog- which came lumbering towards me down the path and scared me to death-apologized and invited me for coffee and eggs with his wife.

Meanwhile, other walkers walked by me, poles and walking sticks clanking into the earth.

I arrived in Larrasona, a tiny hamlet, just as the sun was coming out in all its glory. I walked around a bit, hoping the refugio would open soon. However, it was too early, and so I decided I could make it to Trinidad de Arre, the next stop in my booklet.

I didn´t quite make it…I ended up stopping in front of this absolutely beautiful hotel in Akerreta, a tiny vilage. I was struck by the beauty of the building before I realized it was a hotel.

A group of tourists were in front of it, waiting for a taxi. Actually, they were walking the Camino as well, but doing it in high-style, walking only the parts they chose, staying at hotels, and sending taxis on with their bags the entire way. One of them was a doctor, who insisted on looking at my ankle.

A chair was brought out and my poor ankle was shown to the doctor, as well as his wife and all of their friends, the owner of the hotel, and a man walking by with his dog.

¨You need to stop. You can´t possibly walk on this ankle.¨, he said. Great. Unfortunately, I was far from Tinidad de Arre-actually, 12.5 kilometers!

The owner of the hotel offered a room. Someone had cancelled, so it was a huge double room, but he would give it to me for the single price. With breakfast. And dinner, all organic, from his garden. I gasped at the price, but-what was I to do?

The room he gave me was magnificent. I can safely say that it was the nicest room, the nicest view, the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in in my life.

The hotel has been a real labor of love for the owner and his wife, who only opened it four years ago, after many years of work. It is classic for the region-a kind of 3/4 story house, which was divided into sections. The animals lived on the bottom floors, with the familiy in the secons story, and the dovecote above on the third story. My room looked out onto the entire Basque valley, and was actually an original bedroom, with the original hand hewn wood, original tiny shuttered windows, and even original furniture.

The owner gave me a tour of the place, and it was so beautiful. He said he wasn´t in it for the money-he was doing it because he loved his part of Spain, he did it as a labor of love. He said that most people just let these old buildings fall down now, and then move the rubble away to build new ugly apartment buildings. How sad.

Best of all, the hotel had one of the only surviving original ovens in the Navarra region-the only other one is in a monastery-and it was in incredible condition. You could actually walk into it, and the ovens were enormous. The chimney alone was two stories tall.

Everyone else staying at the place were either doing the Camino or they were locals, visiting families as it was First Communion time for kids of that age in the area.

Dinner was a luxurious affair, with my own solitary table, my own bottle of wine(!), a fanatastic soup of salted cod; lamb; and salad of white asparagus(famous in this area of Spain) and a creamy dessert made of sheeps milk that you ate drizzled with honey.

I have to say, it was worth it. My ankle and mind well rested, I blissfully fell asleep, and awoke the next day ready for Trinidad de Arre.

gigi



Tags:

266 responses to “Camino de Santiago No. 4: Hobbling to Akerreta”

  1. I have been looking into a number of your stories and i must say great stuff.

    I will certainly bookmark your website.

    Here is my weblog; phone psychic reading

  2. bike trailer says:

    It’s amazing to pay a quick visit this web site and reading the views of all mates on the topic of this article,
    while I am also keen of getting familiarity.

  3. schwab login says:

    Hi there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing
    several weeks of hard work due to no data backup. Do you have any solutions to prevent hackers?

    schwab login

  4. hello there and thank you for your info – I’ve certainly picked up something new from right here.
    I did however expertise a few technical points using this site,
    since I experienced to reload the website lots of
    times previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering
    if your web hosting is OK? Not that I’m complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will often affect your
    placement in google and can damage your high-quality score
    if advertising and marketing with Adwords.
    Anyway I am adding this RSS to my email and can look out for much more of your respective
    fascinating content. Make sure you update this again soon.

  5. Just desire to say your article is as amazing. The clarity to your post is simply excellent and
    that i can think you’re knowledgeable in this subject.
    Fine with your permission allow me to clutch
    your feed to keep up to date with imminent post.

    Thanks a million and please carry on the enjoyable work.

    gmail.com login

  6. Hi there, I enjoy reading all of your article
    post. I like to write a little comment to support you.

  7. my aol email says:

    my aol email
    toolbar can be a web browser application add-on that enables you
    to search for pictures, media, videos and go shopping for merchandise about the web without being
    forced to navigate out of….

  8. I’m gone to inform my little brother, that he should also visit this webpage on regular basis to take updated from hottest information.

  9. It’s an remarkable article designed for all the
    internet visitors; they will obtain benefit from it I am sure.

    bank of america online sign in banking

  10. I have been surfimg online more than 3 hours today, yet I
    never found any interesting article like yours.
    It’s pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all webmasters andd bloggers
    made good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful thjan ever before.|
    I could not resist commenting. Very well written!|
    I’ll immediately snatch your rss feed as I caan not to find your email subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service.

    Do you have any? Kindly allow me recognise iin order that I
    may subscribe. Thanks.|
    It iss appropriate time to make some plans
    for the future and it’s time too be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I wish to suggest
    you some interesting things or tips. Perhaps yoou can write next articles referring to this article.
    I want to read even more things about it!|
    It is peffect time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be
    happy. I’ve read this put up and if I may I want to recommend you
    some interesting issues or tips. Perhaps you could write next articles relating to this article.

    I wish to read more issues approximstely it!|
    I’ve been surfing onlin greater than 3 hours these days, but
    I never discovered any interesting article like yours.
    It’s lovelyy vlue sufficient for me. Personally, if all site
    owners and bloggers made excellent content aas you probably did, the internet will
    be a lot morde helpful than ever before.|
    Ahaa, its good discussion regarding this paragraph at thius place at this
    webpage, I have read all that, so at this time me also commenting att this place.|
    I am sure this paragraph has touched all the internet visitors, its
    rerally really nice poset on building up nnew webpage.|
    Wow, thyis piece of writing is good, my sister is analyzing these things, thus I amm going to tell her.|
    Saved as a favorite, I love your web site!|
    Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you writing
    this post and the rest of the site is reeally good.|
    Hi, I do believe this is a gdeat website. I stumledupon it 😉 I am going to come back once again since I saved as a favorite it.

    Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you be rich and
    continue to guide other people.|
    Woah! I’m really loving the template/theme of tjis site.

    It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s tough too get
    that “perfect balance” between superb usability and visual appeal.
    I must sayy you have done a awesome job with this. Additionally,
    the blog loads very fast for me on Firefox. Superb Blog!|
    These are truly wonderful ideas in about blogging.
    You have touched some pleasant points here. Any way keep up wrinting.|
    I love what you guys are up too. This kind of clever work and reporting!
    Keep up the superb works guys I’ve incorporated
    you guiys to my blogroll.|
    Hello! Sommeone in my Facebook group shared this site
    with us so I came to give it a look. I’m definitely enjoying the information. I’m bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my
    followers! Excellent blog and terrrific desogn and style.|
    I lovfe what you guys aare up too. This type of clever work
    and exposure! Keep up the fantastic work guys I’ve included you
    guys to my own blogroll.|
    Hey would you mind stating which blog platform you’re
    using? I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m having a hard
    time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.

    The reason I ask is because your design and stygle seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something unique.

    P.S Sory for getting off-topic but I had to ask!|
    Hey woyld you mind letting me know which hoeting company you’re utilizing?

    I’ve loaded yourr blog in 3 different browsers and I must say this blog loads a
    lot quicker then most. Can you recommend a good internet hosting provider at a fair price?
    Cheers, I appreciate it!|
    Everyone loves it when individuals come together
    and share ideas. Grezt site, stichk with it!|
    Thank you for tthe good writeup. It inn fact was a amusement account it.
    Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! By the way, how could we communicate?|
    Hi there just wanted too give you a quick heads up. The words
    in your post seem to be running off the scteen in Chrome.
    I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to doo with internet browser compatibility but I
    figured I’d post to let you know. The design loook great though!
    Hope you get the issue solved soon. Cheers|
    This is a topic that is close to my heart… Take care!
    Where are your contact details though?|
    It’s very straightforward to find oout any topic on web as compared to textbooks, as I found this paragrraph at this web page.|
    Does your website have a contact page? I’m havkng problems locating it but, I’d
    liike to shoot you an e-mail. I’ve got some ideas for your blog
    you might be interested in hearing. Either way,
    great site and I look forward to seeing it expand over time.|
    Hello! I’ve been reading your website for a long time now and finally got the bravery to go ahead
    and give you a shout out from Huffman Tx! Just wanted to mention keep uup thee great job!|
    Greetings from Carolina! I’m bored to death at
    work so I decided to browse your website on mmy iphone during lunch break.
    I really like the information you provide here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home.

    I’m amazed at how quick your blog loaded on my phone ..

    I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, excellent site!|
    Its such as you learn my mind! You seem to grasp so much approximately this, such
    as you wrote thee e-book in it or something. I hink that you
    can do with a few % tto drive the messagfe house a
    bit, bbut other than that, this is magnificent blog. Agreat read.
    I’ll certainly be back.|
    I visited many blogs except the audio quallity for audio songs current at this web site is
    genuinely wonderful.|
    Hi, i read your blog from time to time and i oown a similar onne and i was just curioous if yyou get a lot of spam comments?
    If so how do yyou prevent it, any plugin or anything you can recommend?
    I get so much lately it’s driving me crazy so any support is very much appreciated.|
    Greetings! Very ueful advice within this post! It’s the little changes thwt produce the largest changes.
    Many thanks for sharing!|
    I seriously love your site.. Pleasant colors & theme.
    Did you mke ths amazing site yourself? Plrase reply back ass I’m wanting to create my own site and would like to learn where you
    got this from or what the theme is named. Appreciate it!|
    Howdy! Thhis article could not be writtedn much better!
    Reading through this article reminds me of my previous roommate!
    He continually kept talking about this. I will
    forward this article to him. Pretty sure he will have a very good read.
    Thank you for sharing!|
    Amazing! This blopg looks exactly liuke my old one!
    It’s on a totally different subject but it has pretty much thhe same layout and design. Superb choice of colors!|
    There is definately a great deal too find out about this
    issue. I rerally like all the points you’ve made.|
    You made some decent poiints there. I checked on the web to
    learn more about the issue and found most individuals will go along with ypur views
    on this website.|
    What’s up, I log on to your blogs regularly.

    Your story-telling style is witty, keep dooing what you’re doing!|
    I simply couldn’t go away your websitte prior tto suggesting that I reakly enjoyed the usual info a
    person provide ffor your visitors? Is going to be back often in order
    to check out new posts|
    I need to to thank you for this wonderful read!!
    I certainly enjoyed every little bitt of it. I have ggot you bookmarked to look at
    new things you post…|
    Hi there, just wanted to mention, I liked this
    post. It was inspiring. Keep on posting!|
    Hi there, I enjoy reading through your article.
    I wanted to write a little commjent to support you.|
    I always spent my half an hour to read this weblog’s articles
    or reviews all the time along with a mug of coffee.|
    I for all time emailed this website post page to all my contacts, since if like to read it then my contacts will too.|
    My programmer is trying to convince mme to move to .net from PHP.
    I have always disliked the idea because oof the costs.

    But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using Movable-type
    oon a number of websites for about a year and am worried about switching
    tto another platform. I have heard good things
    about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can transfer all
    mmy wordpress posts into it? Any help would be really appreciated!|
    Hello! I could have worn I’ve visited this web site before but after breowsing througgh a ffew of the posts I realized it’s new to me.
    Anyways, I’m definitely pleased I discovered it and I’ll bee bookmarking it and checking back frequently!|
    Great article! That is the type off information that are meant too bee shared around the
    internet. Disgrace on Google for not positioning
    this submit higher! Come on over and seek advice frtom my website .
    Thank you =)|
    Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It
    really useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and aid
    others like you helped me.|
    Hello, I do believe your web site mighgt be having browser compatibility issues.
    Whenever I ttake a look at your blog in Safari, it looks fine however when opening in Internet
    Explorer, it’s got some overlapping issues. I simplyy wanted to give yoou a quick heads up!
    Other thaan that, great website!|
    A perfson necessarily lend a hand to make severely posts I would
    state. This is the first time I frequented your web page and thus far?
    I amazed with thee research you made to make this actual submit amazing.
    Great job!|
    Heya i am for the primary time here. I came across this board and I in finding It truly helpful & itt helped me out a lot.
    I hope to present one thing again and aid others like you
    helped me.|
    Hey there! I simply want to offer you a big thumbs
    up for your excellent information you’ve got right here on thjs post.
    I am coming back too your web site for more soon.|
    I every time used to rdad article in news papers but now ass I amm a user of web therefore from now I aam
    using net for content, thaanks to web.|
    Your mode of describinhg everything in this piece
    of writing is really good, every one be able to simply understand it,
    Thanks a lot.|
    Hello there, I found your website by means of Google at the same time as searching for a comparable topic, your
    website got here up, itt seems to be great.
    I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    Hi there, simply changed into aweare of your
    weboog thru Google, and located that it iss truly informative.
    I’m goihg to watch out for brussels. I will be grateful when you
    proceed this in future. Many folks mkght be benefited out
    of your writing. Cheers!|
    I’m curious to find ouut what blog platfoorm you have been working with?
    I’m havihg some small security issues with my latest blog
    and I would like to find something more safeguarded.
    Do you have any suggestions?|
    I am really impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your blog.
    Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself?
    Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a nice blog like this
    one today.|
    I’m extremely impressed along with your writing skiills
    as smarfly as with the structure in your weblog.
    Is this a paid subject orr diid you customize it your
    self? Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing, it’srare to look a great
    blog like this one nowadays..|
    Hi, Neat post. There’s an issue with your
    site in web explorer, might test this? IE still is the market chief
    and a big element of people will leave ouut your magnificent wriring because
    of this problem.|
    I’m not sure where you are getting your information, but great
    topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more.
    Thanks for magnificent information I was
    lookinng for this information for my mission.|
    Hello, i think that i saw you vissited my web site so i came to “return the favor”.I’m trying to find things to improve my
    site!I suppose its ok to use a few of your \

  11. When someone writes an article he/she keeps the image of a user in his/her mind
    that how a user can be aware of it. Therefore that’s
    why this paragraph is great. Thanks!

    My web page :: stereo install kits

  12. What’s up to every body, it’s my first visit of this webpage;
    this web site carries awesome and really good information in favor
    of readers.

  13. Hey! Quick question that’s totally offf topic.Do you know how tto make
    your site mobioe friendly? My site looks weird when browsing from my iphone 4.
    I’m trying to find a template or plugin thatt might be able to
    correct this issue. If you have any suggestions, please share.

    Appreciate it!

    my website; does oram plus work (inchem.cau.ac.kr)

  14. Only problem.; You could make let us review what a hack
    application that’s online is centered on to enable support you know the way this firm
    that is a gratifying.; Yoou may not gget points if you have downloaded the app or if you neglect to cokmplete the application’s training.; More often it happens that APPNana
    returns us wwith points only when we purchase some factors or register our phone number someplace.

  15. coffee info says:

    Hello, i think that i saw you visited my weblog so i
    came to “return the favor”.I’m trying to find things to improve my web site!I
    suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

  16. When I initially left a comment I seem to hhave clicked the -Notify
    me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on whenever a comment
    is added I receive 4 emails with the same comment. Perhaps
    there is an easy method you are able to remove me from that service?
    Thanks!

    Feel free to surf to my web-site … Serovital-hgh dietary Supplement where To Buy

  17. Good day! I know this is kinda off topic but I was
    wondering which blog platform are you using for this website?

    I’m getting fed up of WordPress because I’ve had problems with hackers
    and I’m looking at alternatives for another
    platform. I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

  18. It’s amazing in support of me to have a web site,
    which is good for my know-how. thanks admin

  19. Yes! Finally someone writes about barclay bank credit card barclaycardus.com login.

  20. Facebook supplies a mobile version of their web site.

    aol email signature instructions

  21. Howdy, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar
    onee annd i was just curious if you get a lot of spam feedback?

    If so how do yoou prevent it, any plugin or anything you can advise?
    I gget so mucfh lately it’s driving me insane so any support is very
    much appreciated.

    Look into my web page – clear pores face wash

  22. Yesterday i get my brazilian body wav https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6hp4Ndf7vU and im verry happy.They look cool and yes i’m glad i choosed this model.

  23. Simple aand WIFI MASTERKEY KNOWLEDGE- Cost Benefits data prices by
    connecting to frtee disributed WiFihotspots.- Fast and Uncomplicated: just search
    for the violet kkey – Secured aand Secure: All distributed password are not unveiled.;
    Remember that this does NOT remove out of your
    paalis factors — they’ll however get all-the designated factors for any applications theey download.; Even though appbounty runs inside your browser
    smoothly (chrome, opera or others), you still have to get the bounty bcks app online.; The FeaturePoints app
    that iss mobile will be downloaded by consumers to smartphone or their tablet.

    Also vksit my homepage – appbounty hack with jailbreak

  24. Outlook 2002, also called Outlook XP, is a contact client.
    Attaching photos to a email message permits you to share your chosen pictures with relatives and buddies.

    hotmail.com/sign in

  25. itunes login says:

    Definitely believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason appeared to be
    on the net the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get irked while people think about worries that they just don’t
    know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top
    and defined out the whole thing without having side-effects ,
    people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more.
    Thanks

    itunes login

  26. Such betterscooter.com http://adf.ly/6249830/banner/www.scamadviser.com/is-betterscooter.com-a-fake-site.html are exceedingly fine, and they also seem great! Exclusively idea can be.. that they acquire damp attractive quite easily, although they implement waterless very quickly! I adore these products!

  27. thc.wiki says:

    I am realy loving the theme/design of your weblog.
    Do you ever run into any browser compatibility issues?

    A number of my blog readers have complained about my site not
    working correctly in Explorer buut looks great iin Safari.
    Do you hace any tips to elp fix thiss issue?

    Also visot my blog post: thc.wiki

  28. How to Deposit Into a Chase Online Checking Account.

    gmail.com login sign in

  29. Import the MIDI file you wish to convert to MP3 into i – Tunes.

    Windows XP Won't Recognize a CD or DVD in the Drive.

    itunes login trouble

  30. I visited several web pages but the audio quality
    for audio songs present at this web page is in fact superb.

  31. I’m impressed, I have to admit. Seldom do I come across a blog that’s
    both equally educative and engaging, and without a doubt, you’ve hit the nail on the head.
    The problem is something not enough men and women are speaking intelligently about.
    I’m very happy I found this in my hunt for something regarding this.

    my web site Standard-Boxen wechseln im Auto

  32. This site was… how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I’ve found something that
    helped me. Thank you!

  33. I got this web site from my friend who shared with me
    concerning this site and now this time I am visiting this web page and
    reading very informative articles or reviews at this place.

  34. Wow, this paragraph is nice, my younger sister is
    analyzing these things, therefore I am going to let
    know her.

  35. kiddy seat says:

    Good information. Lucky me I recently found your blog by accident (stumbleupon).
    I’ve book-marked it for later!

  36. magnificent publish, very informative. I wonder why the
    opposite specialists of this sector don’t realize this.
    You should proceed your writing. I’m confident, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!

  37. Fastidious response in return of this query with real arguments and telling everything about that.

  38. Hi there to all, the contents existing at this website are genuinely amazing for
    people knowledge, well, keep up the good work fellows.

  39. Hi there! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are
    you using for this site? I’m getting tired of WordPress because I’ve had issues with hackers and I’m looking at options for another platform.
    I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

    my web page :: factor receivables

  40. I blog quite often and I really appreciate your information.
    Your article has really peaked my interest.
    I’m going to bookmark your website and keep checking for new details
    about once per week. I subscribed to your Feed as well.

  41. Kenneth says:

    Hey I am so happy I found your web site, I really found you
    by accident, while I was looking on Yahoo for
    something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say thanks for a remarkable post and a
    all round interesting blog (I also love the theme/design),
    I don’t have time to browse it all at the minute but
    I have saved it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep
    up the superb work. http://elijahtruebridge.wikidot.com/blog:4

  42. Very nice post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to mention that I’ve really loved browsing your blog posts.
    In any case I will be subscribing for your rss feed and I am hoping you write once more very soon!

  43. Very quickly this website wil be famous amid all blogging viewers, due to it’s nikce articles

    Look at my web page – low Cost flyer Printing miami

  44. site says:

    Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article.
    I’ll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of
    your useful information. Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly comeback.

  45. We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in ouur community.
    Your web site offered us with valuable information to work on. You’ve done aan impressive job annd ourr whole
    community will be thankful to you.

    my blog – cheap flyer printing winnipeg

  46. Normally Idon’t read post on blogs, but I would like to
    say that this write-up verey compelled me to check out and do so!
    Your writing taste has beenn amazed me. Thanks, qite nice article.

    My web-site low cost flyer Printing tampa

  47. What’s up, this weekend is nice in favor of me, since this occasion i am
    reading this wonderful educational piece of writing here at my
    house.

  48. stroller says:

    Hi! I’ve been following your site for a long time now and finally
    got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from New Caney Tx!
    Just wanted to mention keep up the good job!

  49. nhân sâm hàn quốc

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *