BootsnAll Travel Network



Camino de Santiago No. 3: Walking To Zubiri

So, last off, I was walking along with my two new friends. We were doing quite well, walking along at a good pace, and I was finally mastering the use of my walking poles.

We stopped off at a little bar in Viskarret, a tiny vilage not conssiting of much but the aforementioned bar, where we rested and ate bocadillos and drank hot coffee. After the bar, we took off again,keeping along at a nice pace-but frankly, it was much too fast for me. I felt like I didn´t have time to see anything at all-only time to concentrate on the walking and using the poles and watching for traffic and looking out for slippery rocky bits.

I was grateful when my two companions decided to continue on without me. I slowed down considerably, taking breaks as I needed them. I scribbled in my drawing book, wrote notes in my journal, and enjoyed the absolutely breathtaking views.

Many people on the camino stopped and talked to me-but I found that if I walked with someone else, I concentrated not on the surounding beauty, but on having a conversation. So I usually would just send them onwards with a wave and a smile, perferring instead to have my part of the trail to myself.

One thing that really struck me as I walked was how fast everyone was going-many people only had a defined amount of time to either complete the entire walk, or to complete one stage of it. It seemed a bit competitive as well, and people´s conversations were often about how much one was carrying, and how light their load was; how fast someone was; and so on. Hardly anyone talked of spiritual things, or even historical things along the way. Rarely did anyone seem to stop and relax, or breathe in the absolute beauty of the countryside. I found this somewhat astonishing.

Many people seemed to be walking the walk as a walk; as something to check off one´s list as having done; and so on. Although I am aware there are many different ways to do the Camino, on this first day alone, I became aware of the exhausting pace people tried to keep up with-and this colored my perception of the Camino greatly.

I was feeling somewhat disenchanted with the whole experience, when I met a wonderful woman and her sister, who were doing the walk in memory of their mother. Just walking with these two incredible souls, who were very observant about the plants and wildlife along the walk as well, rejuvenated my spirit considerably.

At about this time, the Camino began to decend into Zubiri. The booklet I had brought along about the Camino had said ¨The camino descent into Zubiri is difficult in bad weather…¨Well, the weather was getting worse by the moment. In fact, it had not stopped raining the entire day, and only seemed to be getting worse.

The descent was difficult for many reasons: It was very steep; it was very rocky-a sort of slippery slate; it was muddy; and I had to concentrate so much not to slip and fall, that I barely looked up to see what was next. The rain made everything slick and wet, and the mud on my boots soon covered the lower half of my pants, as well.

I saw three people fall along the way. Everyone was always very nice and helpful to each other, and when someone fell, everyone stopped and helped the person.

I finally fell myself.

Falling down, especially at the start, had been a worry for me. I do not have the best ankles for various reasons, and so I was worried that they would not be strong enough to handle parts of the Camino.

Still, I wasn´t expecting to fall so soon. I basically twisted my right ankle quite badly.

There was no choice but to keep going, and so keep going is what I did. I was in tears, as I was thinking about what this would mean for my Camino journey, and whether I was an idiot to attempt it at all. Other people who had also fallen on their first day were going thru the same thing, and it was impossible to cheer anyone up-we couldn´t even take off our shoes to look at our injuries in the pouring rain and mud anyhow.

The walking poles I had bought the week before saved me. I was able to actually walk all the way to Zubiri-a total of 15 miles journey within the first day-in spite of having an injury.

When I finally got to Zubiri, I gratefully hpbbled to the refugio in the center of town, took off my boots and socks, and surveyed the damage to my ankle. It looked better than I thought it would-sort of purplish and swollen, though, which wasn´t promising. It hurt like hell.

I wrapped it, elevated it, iced it, and lay on my bunk bed thinking about my dream of doing the Camino de Santiago. Maybe I would not be able to do it. Maybe I should just stop. Maybe it was insane with my ankles to attempt it.

I think what made it especially difficult was that I was surrounded by people who were really into doing the whole thing, or most of it, as quickly as possible. I sort of felt idiotic that I was already injured, and not wanting to keep going. Many other people were starting to arrive at the refugio at this point, and they were unwrapping their bandaged feet, ankles, knees, and toes..popping pain killers, even.

I was so tired from all the walking and the stress of having to figure out what to do next, that I fell fast asleep. When I awoke, I went outside, only to find my two friends that I had started out with(the Australian woman and the the Englishman) waiting outside. They had arrived hours before, and were talking about meeting for dinner. We agreed to meet a bit later, and I showed them my very ugly ankle.

Everyone gave me alot of advice on how to treat it, and I followed all of it. The main thing I decided to follow was the advice of a man from Madrid, who told me that ¨my Camino is my Camino¨, and that I should just skip any difficult parts(parts that my ankle couldn´t handle). He gave me alot to think about-and he had great maps of the Camino as well, which we spread out on my bunk bed. He helped me figure out a better route, with no major downhill parts and so on.

How grateful I am to this stranger-no doubt because of him, I´m still on the Camino.

By dinner I was in much better spirits-and the dinner itself was really lovely. The Englishman had a Spanish wife, and so had been living in Spain for many years-his Spanish was impeccable, his mastery over the menu a gift. We had the most extraordinary meal, a true Basque meal, of a salted cod and potato cold salad and tiny red peppers stuffed with salted cod so creamy and delicate it melted in my mouth. 

Walking back to the refugio was not as pleasant, the town of Zubiri(like many others) seems to been taken over by modern apartment complexes, which are of brick and quite undistinguished. The old parts of the town were not near the refugio, and so the town did not seem to have much charm.

This time, the refugio was a pleasant place to sleep-only 24 people to a room!  By some miracle, we had no snorers. Or perhaps I was so tired that I slept thru them all.

Gigi



Tags:

217 responses to “Camino de Santiago No. 3: Walking To Zubiri”

  1. Jim P says:

    okay, so I will continue comparing the Camino to my PBP experience because what you write reminds me of it. When I was struggling with sweating the details before the ride, my roomie told me his plan was to go slow, sleep a lot, take lots of pictures, and finish in 89 hours and 59 minutes (90 hour time limit). This reminds me of (my camino is my camino). It is so true. It put me at ease, and helped me have my own experience, which was beautiful, hard, daunting at times, but overall, beautiful.

  2. My brother suggested I may like this web site. He was once entirely right. This post truly made my day. You can not consider just how much time I had spent for this info! Thank you!

  3. I regard something really interesting about your weblog so I saved to fav. If you have more time, please visit my site: http://thoitrangdahoi2015.wordpress.com

  4. Thankyou for helping out, fantastic information.

  5. Fantastic goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you are just too excellent. I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it sensible. I can’t wait to read much more from you. This is actually a terrific web site.

  6. Darell Lope says:

    Very interesting subject, thank you for posting.

  7. Ruben Moyler says:

    I simply could not depart your web site before suggesting that I extremely loved the usual info a person provide on your guests? Is going to be back regularly to investigate cross-check new posts.

  8. Darius Sahm says:

    I truly appreciate this post. I have been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You have made my day! Thank you again!

  9. Real great info can be found on blog . “Never violate the sacredness of your individual self-respect.” by Theodore Parker.

  10. Carlo Falke says:

    obviously like your web site however you have to test the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very troublesome to inform the reality on the other hand I will surely come back again.

  11. I’m extremely impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it’s rare to see a great blog like this one nowadays..

  12. Una Hyldahl says:

    We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your web site provided us with valuable information to work on. You’ve done an impressive job and our whole community will be thankful to you.

  13. Sandy Nore says:

    naturally like your web site but you need to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it very troublesome to inform the truth nevertheless I will certainly come again again.

  14. You are my inspiration , I own few web logs and sometimes run out from to brand.I believe this website holds some rattling excellent information for everyone. “The best friend is the man who in wishing me well wishes it for my sake.” by Aristotle.

  15. Nidia Olney says:

    Hello, i think that i saw you visited my weblog thus i came to “return the favor”.I am attempting to find things to enhance my site!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

  16. This is really interesting, You are a very skilled blogger. I’ve joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your fantastic post. Also, I’ve shared your website in my social networks!

  17. I’ve been surfing online greater than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is lovely worth sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all site owners and bloggers made excellent content as you did, the net will be much more helpful than ever before. “Oh, that way madness lies let me shun that.” by William Shakespeare.

  18. Some genuinely nice and utilitarian info on this internet site, besides I think the style and design has fantastic features.

  19. I really like your writing style, superb information, thanks for posting :D. “Much unhappiness has come into the world because of bewilderment and things left unsaid.” by Feodor Mikhailovich Dostoyevsky.

  20. Appreciate it for helping out, wonderful info. “The laws of probability, so true in general, so fallacious in particular.” by Edward Gibbon.

  21. My brother suggested I might like this blog. He was entirely right. This post truly made my day. You cann’t imagine simply how much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

  22. Enjoyed looking through this, very good stuff, regards . “Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect.” by Steven Wright.

  23. Absolutely written content, Really enjoyed reading.

  24. Kayce Boas says:

    Utterly pent content material, thanks for selective information. “The bravest thing you can do when you are not brave is to profess courage and act accordingly.” by Corra Harris.

  25. Trey Umanzor says:

    Hello, i think that i saw you visited my site thus i came to “return the favor”.I am attempting to find things to improve my website!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

  26. Odell Vrias says:

    You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and extremely broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

  27. Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your site and in accession capital to assert that I acquire actually enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I’ll be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you access consistently quickly.

  28. This is very interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your magnificent post. Also, I’ve shared your web site in my social networks!

  29. Utterly pent written content , thanks for selective information .

  30. I’ve recently started a blog, the information you offer on this web site has helped me tremendously. Thanks for all of your time & work. “My dear and old country, here we are once again together faced with a heavy trial.” by Charles De Gaulle.

  31. I have read several good stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how so much effort you set to create this sort of magnificent informative site.

  32. Just want to say your article is as astonishing. The clarity in your post is simply nice and i can assume you’re an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the enjoyable work.

  33. I have read some excellent stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how so much effort you set to create any such magnificent informative website.

  34. Simply a smiling visitant here to share the love (:, btw great style and design .

  35. Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire actually enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I’ll be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you access consistently quickly.

  36. What i don’t understood is in truth how you’re now not actually much more smartly-favored than you might be now. You’re so intelligent. You recognize therefore significantly in relation to this topic, produced me in my opinion consider it from numerous various angles. Its like men and women don’t seem to be involved unless it’s something to do with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs nice. At all times deal with it up!

  37. As soon as I found this internet site I went on reddit to share some of the love with them.

  38. I think this is among the most vital info for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But want to remark on few general things, The website style is ideal, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

  39. I like this blog so much, saved to my bookmarks. “Respect for the fragility and importance of an individual life is still the mark of an educated man.” by Norman Cousins.

  40. huissiers says:

    huissier paris…

    huissiers paris…

  41. Wow, awesome blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is excellent, let alone the content!

  42. Some genuinely excellent info , Sword lily I found this. “The world is the sum-total of our vital possibilities.” by Jose Ortega y Gasset.

  43. leather backpack…

    handbags…

  44. Carlos Simi says:

    As soon as I found this internet site I went on reddit to share some of the love with them.

  45. Hey very nice web site!! Guy .. Excellent .. Superb .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds also…I’m satisfied to search out a lot of helpful info right here in the put up, we want develop more strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing.

  46. of course like your web site but you have to test the spelling on several of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling problems and I to find it very bothersome to inform the reality however I’ll surely come back again.

  47. Thank you so much for providing individuals with an exceptionally memorable possiblity to discover important secrets from this web site. It’s usually very lovely plus stuffed with amusement for me personally and my office fellow workers to search your web site at the least thrice per week to see the new stuff you will have. And indeed, I’m actually satisfied considering the good creative concepts you give. Certain 2 areas in this article are particularly the most suitable we’ve ever had.

  48. Kiyoko Choen says:

    This is really interesting, You are a very skilled blogger. I’ve joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your fantastic post. Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks!

  49. Carlo Falke says:

    hello!,I like your writing very a lot! share we communicate more about your post on AOL? I require an expert in this space to resolve my problem. May be that is you! Having a look ahead to peer you.

  50. Cammy Gailis says:

    Real nice layout and superb subject material , very little else we require : D.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *