BootsnAll Travel Network



A Short Rant On Why I Want To Save The World

So I’ve gotten a few emails lately..about the new look of this blog, and it’s changeover to a different kind of theme than what it was in the past. It’s got a new subtitle, a new blog list, and a whole new…character.

Now, when I started out, I was perfectly happy just saying I was volunteering and traveling for awhile. But–I’ve changed the subtitle to reflect the most recent changes I’ve gone through. The new subtitle says, “woman saves world–and self”.

In spite of the fact that some people think it’s ridiculous to even try to do such a thing, let alone say it..I’m really quite content with the change. It makes sense to me and to the direction my life seems to be taking.

I was reading a volunteer site the other day..one of sites where you pay to go somewhere and volunteer for a few weeks. In their online introduction, they said , ” Never think that you are going to change the world by being  a volunteer. You will be very disappointed if you go into a volunteer placement with that expectation.”

Well, this sort of chatter made sense to me..a year ago. But now it seems incredible that people are actually told that they will not change the world, save the world, cause a revolution, create a miracle..just by volunteering or by leading  a life of service.

I mean, why not? Why can’t it change the world? Why can’t we save the world?

It’s this attitude that often brings me down. I really dislike it when I come across it in literature or in individuals.

I have not found it to be true, and I’ve been volunteering and traveling the globe for a year now.

What I have found to be true, however, is that change happens within. In order to change the world, I’ve got to allow my world as I know it to be turned inside out. Everything I know, everything I believe has to be tested.

Those of you sending me emails who don’t like the changes in the blog..you frustrate me. I do not know how to convince you that change is possible.

I have thought this over and decided on a solution. Please come join me in Panama this following summer and live in the jungle for a few weeks with an indigenous tribe. I will be working in the mountains in a very remote location teaching English, basic health care, and lots of other things. It will be a gritty two weeks for you, but it will literally change your life. You will cast aside your idea that change–world change is not possible. You will cast aside the idea that you are not only vital for that change to happen–you are the change that is going to happen.

End of rant. Thank you for listening.

And–any interested parties–please contact me. I will be in Panama from May until sometime in October, and you are very welcome to join me there.

gigi

and some food for thought…

” Life’s most urgent question: What are you doing for others?” – Martin Luther King Junior

” Teach this triple truth to all: A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the only things that will renew humanity.”- Buddha

” Start with what is necessary, then with what is possible; and suddenly, you find you are doing the impossible.” – St. Francis of Assissi.

” Conciously or unconciously, everyone does render some service or another. If we cultivate the habit of doing this serivce, deliberately, our desire for service will steadily grow stronger, and will make not only for our own happiness–but that of the world at large.”- Mohandas Ghandi



Tags:

63 responses to “A Short Rant On Why I Want To Save The World”

  1. I’ve been working in overseas development for 15 years and was a journalist for 15 years before that. If I didn’t think I could change the world – even a tiny bit – I wouldn’t have done any of it. And if I CAN’T change the world, then I’ve been wasting my time… and I don’t believe that for a minute.

    I challenge anyone to spend time with Gigi among the Ngobe. I’m one of the fortunate ones who visited her briefly in Panama earlier this year, and it brought home to me how incredibly fortunate I was to have the choices I have. Perhaps your contribution, however small, will help increase the choices the Ngobe have.

  2. Ali says:

    I think changing the world happens more like Pay It Forward. You just do what you can, and in return ask others to help more out.

  3. ugg says:

    Flexcin Reviews

  4. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts.Any way Ill be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon Use Links Twitter is a great place to share the linky love, whether it be for a post on your own website or blog or to help out a fellow business owner both should be done and done often.

  5. I think you have remarked some very interesting points , thankyou for the post.

  6. certainly like your web site but you need to take a look at the spelling on several of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling issues and I to find it very troublesome to inform the truth nevertheless I’ll definitely come back again.

  7. You are my breathing in, I own few blogs and infrequently run out from to post .I believe this website has some real fantastic info for everyone. “Only the little people pay taxes.” by Leona Helmsly.

  8. Vernie Gola says:

    Very interesting info !Perfect just what I was looking for! “If you want to test your memory, try to recall what you were worrying about one year ago today.” by Rotarian.

  9. Elvis Chuma says:

    Thanks for the sensible critique. Me and my neighbor were just preparing to do some research on this. We got a grab a book from our area library but I think I learned more clear from this post. I am very glad to see such fantastic information being shared freely out there.

  10. Hi my loved one! I want to say that this post is awesome, nice written and include approximately all important infos. I’d like to peer more posts like this.

  11. F*ckin’ amazing things here. I am very satisfied to peer your article. Thank you a lot and i am looking forward to contact you. Will you please drop me a e-mail?

  12. Jc Petrocco says:

    I have been absent for some time, but now I remember why I used to love this web site. Thanks, I’ll try and check back more frequently. How frequently you update your website?

  13. I think you have remarked some very interesting details , thankyou for the post.

  14. You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

  15. Jim Cabada says:

    I really like your writing style, superb info , thankyou for posting : D.

  16. I enjoy you because of each of your work on this website. My daughter enjoys participating in research and it’s really easy to understand why. My partner and i know all regarding the lively manner you render advantageous secrets through your web blog and therefore strongly encourage response from other people on that concern and my girl has always been discovering a lot. Have fun with the remaining portion of the year. You’re conducting a powerful job.

  17. You have brought up a very fantastic details , regards for the post.

  18. Ron Adorno says:

    I gotta bookmark this internet site it seems invaluable very useful

  19. I’ve been browsing on-line greater than three hours lately, yet I by no means found any fascinating article like yours. It is lovely value sufficient for me. Personally, if all website owners and bloggers made just right content as you did, the net shall be much more helpful than ever before. “No nation was ever ruined by trade.” by Benjamin Franklin.

  20. I have read a few excellent stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how a lot attempt you set to create any such wonderful informative website.

  21. Good write-up, I’m regular visitor of one’s blog, maintain up the excellent operate, and It’s going to be a regular visitor for a long time.

  22. I genuinely enjoy reading on this web site, it contains excellent blog posts. “A short saying oft contains much wisdom.” by Sophocles.

  23. Myra Beucler says:

    Very fantastic info can be found on web blog . “You don’t get harmony when everybody sings the same note.” by Doug Floyd.

  24. I really appreciate this post. I’ve been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You’ve made my day! Thx again!

  25. Thanks for the sensible critique. Me & my neighbor were just preparing to do some research about this. We got a grab a book from our local library but I think I learned more clear from this post. I am very glad to see such wonderful information being shared freely out there.

  26. Good write-up, I am regular visitor of one’s web site, maintain up the excellent operate, and It’s going to be a regular visitor for a lengthy time.

  27. You are my intake, I own few blogs and rarely run out from post :). “Yet do I fear thy nature It is too full o’ the milk of human kindness.” by William Shakespeare.

  28. Keena Pauda says:

    What i do not understood is in truth how you’re no longer actually much more smartly-liked than you may be right now. You’re very intelligent. You know thus significantly relating to this topic, produced me individually consider it from so many various angles. Its like men and women don’t seem to be interested until it is one thing to do with Woman gaga! Your own stuffs nice. All the time maintain it up!

  29. I went over this website and I think you have a lot of excellent info, saved to my bookmarks (:.

  30. Allen Burgin says:

    Just a smiling visitor here to share the love (:, btw outstanding design. “Individuals may form communities, but it is institutions alone that can create a nation.” by Benjamin Disraeli.

  31. I got what you intend, thankyou for putting up.Woh I am glad to find this website through google. “Spare no expense to make everything as economical as possible.” by Samuel Goldwyn.

  32. Ruben Moyler says:

    I am really impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it’s rare to see a great blog like this one nowadays..

  33. We’re a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your website provided us with valuable information to work on. You have done a formidable job and our whole community will be grateful to you.

  34. Anja Friberg says:

    I’ve recently started a site, the info you offer on this site has helped me greatly. Thank you for all of your time & work.

  35. I went over this internet site and I conceive you have a lot of wonderful information, saved to bookmarks (:.

  36. Livia Ocejo says:

    Great blog here! Also your site loads up fast! What host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your host? I wish my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

  37. I think this is one of the most vital info for me. And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The website style is ideal, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

  38. Dead indited written content, Really enjoyed reading through.

  39. Irish Zielke says:

    Usually I don’t read article on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very compelled me to check out and do it! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thank you, very great article.

  40. Wow, amazing blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is magnificent, as well as the content!

  41. Cyril Kopko says:

    I went over this web site and I think you have a lot of excellent info, saved to bookmarks (:.

  42. Clair Im says:

    obviously like your web-site however you have to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very troublesome to inform the reality then again I will definitely come again again.

  43. Phyllis Ripa says:

    I gotta favorite this web site it seems handy handy

  44. Phyllis Ripa says:

    I was suggested this website by my cousin. I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my trouble. You’re incredible! Thanks!

  45. Martin Blais says:

    I do agree with all the concepts you’ve offered to your post. They’re really convincing and can certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are too short for newbies. May just you please extend them a bit from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

  46. Lucio Wollin says:

    You have brought up a very great details , regards for the post.

  47. Kayce Boas says:

    Only wanna comment on few general things, The website design and style is perfect, the subject material is real superb. “The sun sets without thy assistance.” by The Talmud.

  48. I’m commenting to let you know what a awesome experience our girl developed reading through your web page. She came to understand a lot of details, including what it is like to have a wonderful helping nature to get other people very easily learn specified complicated subject matter. You actually did more than our expectations. I appreciate you for displaying those important, trusted, explanatory and even unique guidance on this topic to Emily.

  49. Rocco Wayns says:

    Thankyou for helping out, great info .

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *