BootsnAll Travel Network



Warm Oak Benches & the Groovy Choir

I missed the White Star Crew Party last night.  Held once a month or so, these dark, fraternity-esque gatherings take place in the luggage loading hall, a wide expanse of metal floor located in the middle of the ship on Deck 1.  This is the area where passenger’s luggage is offloaded and loaded during our turnaround days; but on White Star Party nights, it transforms into a rave hall, a hot and steamy metal warehouse where crew of every nationality attempts to release a month’s worth of frustrations in a few measly hours.   The floor is usually sticky with beer spillage, the music alternates between trance and R&B and the lack of light provides the perfect cloak for all the hanky panky. 

Free Heineken and Sutter Home is dished out by the plastic cupful and the only decorations are black canvas sheets hanging from the ceiling, sealing off areas that might be dangerous for the rowdy party goers.   

It is United Nations meets Girls Gone Wild and Animal House.   

Over my years on the ships, I have attended more than my share of these parties, but this time I had no desire.  As the party raged on last night, I was quite content to be dreaming and drooling in my bed.  I dreamt of Hawaii actually, more specifically of driving a boat onto the beach and crashing it into a home owned by a famous actor. Regardless of the content, this dream state allowed me to rest for yet another 10 hour period, a length of available sleep time simply unheard of when we are sailing around the Mediterranean or Caribbean.   But as all we are doing is crossing the Atlantic over and over again, 10 hour journeys into the depth of night have become both common and expected.  When the violent hissing of my automatic porthole washer wakes me up yet again, there is no longer reason to complain.  I could not possibly need any more sleep. 

I am not only resting during the night either.  Almost every evening I have been visiting my favorite location on the ship, the Canyon Ranch Spa.  Thanks to the stripes on my shoulders, I am one of a handful of crewmembers that is granted the most sought after privilege of being allowed to frequent this magical oasis.  At 7:00pm I normally head up to Deck 7, duck into the back crew entrance of the spa and immediately enter a state of pure relaxation, finding myself far removed from anything resembling ship life.   

Birds chirp melodiously, waterfalls cascade from the sky and the most pleasing scents sift through the air.  For one hour I alternate between the meditative aromatherapy sauna, the warm oak benches of the Finnish sauna, the pore cleansing steam room, the hot water foot massage module, the tropical rain showers, the jacuzzi and the deep tissue massaging water jet located in the middle of the tranquil pool.   

Usually there are only one or two guests in the facility at this time of day, as most are dressed in their tuxedos, sipping sparkling wine and shaking hands with the Captain.   And so, in complete peace and quiet I reenergize with my free nightly pass to the most luxurious spa at sea.  Such is the life I live.  In the end, despite the negative aspects of life on board the ships, I actually get paid to go to the spa, paid to rejuvenate and spoil myself as often as I want.  Paid to spend a night in Hamburg as well.  Can you see why it is so difficult to leave? 

My day is coming to an end right now, as our Tour Office has just closed for the evening and all of my work is complete.  It is 5:00pm and the “Groovy Choir” is screaming in absolute disharmony outside of my office.  Twice a voyage guests meet in the Grand Lobby and join our Jazz Trio for a 1.5 hour session of sing-a-longs.  At the moment they are shouting out an absurd medley that includes the theme song to the Flintstones, Lean on Me and What a Wonderful World all at the same time.  As always happens when the “Groovy Choir” is performing, I am starting to feel a headache rapidly approaching.   

But I am not worried.  It is certainly nothing that the aromatherapy sauna cannot instantly remedy. 



Tags:

One response to “Warm Oak Benches & the Groovy Choir”

  1. We are enjoying reading your every day blog, We certainly can see how life on the ship is so pleasanat. Enjoy while you can.
    Weather here has been just fair but keeping busy. Keep in touch.
    Love,
    Grandma

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *