BootsnAll Travel Network



Indiana Jones to the Rescue

For two days we walked through squalid streets, lanes and fields containing shocking amounts of refuse and waste, both human and animal. The 120 degree temperatures typical of the pre-monsoon season created such an unbearable stench that the public urinals of Delhi suddenly seemed pleasantly aromatic. The massive 16th century mosque and palace that we had come to visit was often only barely visible through the thick screen of trillions of flies surviving off of the garbage and ferociously trying to enter our mouths. There was no electricity in the village, and hence, no fans, and often no water, to provide relief in our guest house room. As we lay drowning in sweat, the massive black biting ants teamed up with the mosquitos to attack us non-stop throughout the night as hundreds of mini-cockroaches invaded our backpacks.

It was a tough couple of days in the village of Fatehpur Sikri, some 20 miles outside the city of Agra. Although the palace and mosque were definitely worth a visit, their grandeur was easily overshadowed by the troublesome conditions. When we finally boarded the Kerala Express train for our return trip to Delhi, we agreed on what we needed to do once back in the capital city.

We needed to feel normal. We needed to spoil ourselves.

In some countries there is a uniqueness of being able to ski the slopes in the morning and surf the waves in the afternoon. In India, it is also possible to be in two very opposite environments in a very short period of time. After spending the morning among some of the poorest people on the planet, amid piles of trash and shit up to your waist, you can sit in an air-conditioned, upscale ice cream parlor in the evening, eating spoonfuls of chocolate sundae among the wealthy.

Not only did we indulge in cool and creamy deserts but we also visited trendy coffee shops, leafy, immaculate parks (Lodhi Gardens – well worth a visit!) and one of the fanciest cinemas I have ever stepped foot in. As Indiana Jones drove through the jungles of Peru last night, we grabbed handfuls from our tub of popcorn and laughed out loud simply because we needed to. When the ´cinema waiters´ passed by during intermission asking if there was anything they could do to further enhance our experience, we asked for nothing as we were already far more than satisfied.

And now, well, let´s just say that I thoroughly enjoyed my high-pressure shower and I anticipate a most comfortable night´s sleep in my room of cooled air, without having to swat and scratch and itch. Actually, I anticipate a few of these glorious nights, which will most likely be the last few that I will have in India during this visit.

My time here is coming to a close as it is simply time for me to move on. I have a few options at the moment and a decision should be made shortly. Meanwhile, if you need to get in touch with me, I´ll either be watching ´Iron Man´ at the cinema or drinking a Passionfruit Milkshake in the comfy cafes of Connaught Place.



Tags:

One response to “Indiana Jones to the Rescue”

  1. Andi says:

    Something so glorious about knowing you’re in India watching the same movie I am here in Maryland – and that you’re having a glorious experience while I’m having a pleasant if normal one.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *