BootsnAll Travel Network



Farewell (to ships) Again

Yes, it has been ten days or so since my last entry. I will choose to blame that on the numbness that has resulted from all of these days at sea, not on some sudden immense workload that has required my attention, mainly because my workload has remained at a level that still allows me to spend my evenings in the sauna.

But alas, the final countdown has begun! Normally, the countdown to the day my contract ends begins a good two months in advance, but given the short duration of this stint on board, I did not begin mine until August 23rd, some ten days before my sign-off date of September 4th.

An ‘end of contract countdown’ does not simply involve marking each passing day on the calendar with a big red ‘x’. Of course that is part of it, but its just not the whole process. During lunch or dinner, someone is bound to be sitting all alone, staring off into the distance with an expressionless face, occasionally chewing their mashed peas in mechanical fashion. Someone will approach them, just as I did to the Chief Sommelier yesterday evening, and ask the simple question, “Are you ok?” The response I received was one that I have heard so often before. “27 damn days left!” our wine expert declared.

This then becomes my moment to brag, responding with the vastly more impressive phrase of “only 10 days left for me!” Now you might envision that such an interaction would create some friction between the two parties, but actually, this exchange usually leads to a fascinating occurrence. Inevitably, my proud response is going to be overheard and immediately reduced to meaningless waste as someone else shouts out from across the mess, “2 days and I’m free!”

After a few more proclamations are belted out for all to hear and envy, another person, with shoulders sunk and glassy eyes, will eventually end the game by softly stating, “128 days left for me” The sound and comprehension of those words ignites a flame of self-satisfaction in every single other person, offering a glorious feeling of relief that will propel their waning energy and motivation to last them until the end.

I must say, this has been a pretty decent two months. I have become even more familiar with Southampton, Hamburg and Red Hook, Brooklyn than I thought possible. I have also created a solid routine of work, gym and spa and socializing. I met some great people, had to deal with less complaints in a two month period than ever before (I was only screamed at twice!) and I enjoyed the most stress-free contract of my five years at sea.

Of course my cabin flooded that one night and I suffered a particularly nasty cut above the upper lip from a rushed shaving incident early on in the contract. But that is about all I can complain about really. All of the other grumbles and minor annoyances I have mentioned over the weeks, well, they are just a necessary part of ship life. It helps us feel slightly more normal. Not having to deal with the frustrations of life of land, we need something to occupy our minds and meaningless conversations.

There was a time when I never thought I would be back working on board the ships, yet I returned. That was several years ago. This last instance was probably the third or fourth time the same scenario has repeated itself. When I leave on September 4th, walking out of the gates of the Brooklyn cruise terminal, I again shall leave with the understanding that this was my last contract.

In the hopes of ensuring that this was my final contract, I have formulated a plan, to continue writing and as equally important, to choose a place to live for a while. So, if anyone has any recommendations, I’d love to hear them. I am looking for a large town to medium city, WARM for most of the year, relaxed atmosphere, walkable, diverse and preferably with at least one Indian restaurant! If anyone out there who happens to be reading this has a place they would like to offer for rent, or knows someone who has a place for rent, in a location that fits the above to some degree, please let me know!

\I am excited to get back to land and continue writing and hopefully to see many of you who are reading this and whom I have not seen for some time.

Thank you for reading, there will be plenty more to come…



Tags:

5 responses to “Farewell (to ships) Again”

  1. Andi says:

    I nominate Charlottesville, Virginia – great culture, a university, excellent Indian food – plus, then maybe I could meet you in person.

    Meanwhile, I’ve nominated you for a blog award – http://www.andilit.com/?p=254 – Thanks so much for continuing to write so that I can continue to read.

  2. Derek Old Lyme Ct. is the perfect place for you to spend some time.
    and you can watch our cottage at the same time.
    good luck and see you soon.
    Grandma and Leo

  3. Suki says:

    HAWAII – YEAH – HAWAII —-Haha. I had to nominate my favorite place.

  4. Kerry says:

    San Luis Obispo, CA. Halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco. University, Sun, 15 minutes to Surf, Hiking. At least one Indian restaurant. Paradise!

    I stubled across your blog, and enjoyed it very much. Thanks for sharing your adventures.

  5. Paula Braxton & Michael Greco says:

    We would nominate Chicago but, we aren’t that cruel! We have enjoyed reading your blog feeling our own ship memories rushing back thru our minds. If you would like to come for a visit you are more than welcome, Michael and I would love to have you:) KEEP WRITING BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE READING!!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *