BootsnAll Travel Network



Maya, what a big pyramid you have

Went to Palenque today (Nov. 21). Wowee!

what a view

This is a city of Mayan ruins in the middle of the jungle. There were a lot of German tourists there, as most places. So, how did we get pictures with so few people in them? It’s all in the timing. You just wait until the schnitzel cart pulls into the parking lot and then you have the place to yourself.

the palace

Nice setting. The guide book refers to a “Crazy Count” who took up residence in one of the buildings in the middle of the 19th century. How is that crazy?

another one

We were relieved to have sun after a full night of heavy rain. But man, it was humid.
Remember, it is not the heat.

lots o steps

We’re not staying in Palenque town but in a hippie enclave called Panchan, in the middle of the jungle. It’s quite interesting. There’s a vegan restaurant run by tattooed, dreadlocked chicks and an Italian place with a wood-fired oven to make incredibly delicious pizza. We’re talking 2 Amys quality. Yep, we drove all the way to Mexico for Italian food. In the jungle.



Tags:

One Response to “Maya, what a big pyramid you have”

  1. beth Says:

    Wow. The photos are amazing and the writing is great. Erin is enjoying this as well. “Maya, what a big pyramid you have” had me LOL! The pyramids in DC are oh so much smaller! Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy!

    Beth

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. bro Says:

    Terrific pictures, terrific storytelling! I wish I were there, too.

    Jimf

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. dorothy Says:

    Fabulous pictures! Wow, it looks amazing. (And now I want pizza…)

  6. Posted from United States United States
  7. Jules Says:

    Italian tattooed, dreadlocked chicks And pizza, too !
    gadzooks man !

  8. Posted from United States United States
  9. sis Says:

    Hey little bro. What an adventure! I really feel like I’m along for the ride. Those roads don’t sound like too much fun but the pictures look amazing. Pizza in the jungle, who’d have thought. the Escher-like structures looked cool – how did you find them?

  10. Posted from United States United States
  11. Lydia Says:

    Hi Giselle and Dan:

    Just wanted to let you know that Mike, Daniel and myself will be missing you this holiday! But, we’ll eat some tofurkey for you (well, maybe not enough to cover Dan’s hunger). It doesn’t seem you are lacking for good veggie food though. I am really enjoying the blog. Love Lydia

  12. Posted from United States United States
  13. Marcus + Amyra Says:

    Dear Giselle and Dan:

    A nice Thanksgiving day anywhere in Mexico! Enjoy, take care and lots of adventures!

  14. Posted from Brazil Brazil
  15. Gatt Maffney Says:

    Sounds like you ate at Palenque Pizza! Lori and I dined there. That’s where a little kid came up to our table and said that if we didn’t buy one of his braided bracelets he’d get beaten by his mom when he got home.

    We were like, kid, if you don’t get away from our table, we’re gonna beat you so bad your mom won’t recognize you.

    “Signos! Signos!”

  16. Posted from United States United States