BootsnAll Travel Network



Grupo Ultramar

Rafael is the best

One of the most trying things about traveling is the constant pounding you take from strangers’ indifference. Actually, that would be one of the most trying things about everyday living. However, when you come across someone who shares an idea or the excitement of travel, it makes a strange place feel like home.

We had the good fortune to run into Rafael del Campo Quintana at Ultramar, a customs agency. When we told him we were driving through the Americas he said, “I want to go!” He was only half-joking, but he has taken on the cause of getting our car out of Peruvian customs as if it were his own. He broke out a map of Peru on his computer, and we talked about all the places we should visit. As a contrast, the first agency we ran into told us because the car was more than 5 years old we could not import it; we would have to ship it back to Panama. They said that was probably our only option. We are going with Rafael.

Tomorrow we are supposed to go to the port to see if the car is in one piece. At the risk of sounding like an unabashed advertisement, if you ever need customs agent services, we can give you Rafael’s number in Lima. He is a good person.



Tags: ,

2 Responses to “Grupo Ultramar”

  1. Damon Says:

    Dan, Dan, Dan … If I told you once, I told you ten times: Just carry around a roll of twenties and start slipping them to people. You’ll be amazed at how fast you get your car out of customs. That’s how every country except the US works, dude. Believe.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Gatt Maffney Says:

    Dan, Dan, Dan! Please tell me you’re not really wearing a shirt emblazoned with “BANANA REPUBLIC” while traveling through Central America.

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Giselle Says:

    Matt, please check your map. Peru is not in Central America! (But when we were in Central America, Dan either avoided wearing that shirt, or it was in the laundry pile.)