BootsnAll Travel Network



Face the Other Way for Pete’s Sake

When you gotta go, you gotta go.  That’s how Ghanaians feel, or at least that’s what we assume from the astounding amount of public urination we’ve witnessed in the past couple of months.

In the US, people usually seek discreet places, behind a tree or shrub, say, when a restroom is nowhere near.  In other countries we’ve seen a little less discretion — sometimes a truck driver would just stand at the side of the road, turn away, and go.

In Ghana they don’t even bother turning around.  They face the road while urinating.  Why?  Is it to give all the passersby a better view?  Do they think they’re less likely to be hit by a passing car?

It happens all over — on country roads, city streets, residential areas, beaches.  We went for a walk on the beach at Prampram on Saturday.  Part of it appears to be a public toilet.  Charming.

Initially we thought it was only men who engaged in this behavior.  Wrong.  Last weekend we saw a woman in a nice dress, standing near a bus stop with lots of other people nearby,  standing with her legs straddled and a stream of liquid falling out.  She also appeared to be holding her underwear to one side to keep it out of the way.  No private parts showed, but yikes.



Tags:

2 Responses to “Face the Other Way for Pete’s Sake”

  1. Angela Says:

    No pictures of this phenomenon?

    Thank you. 😉

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Shira Says:

    and happy hanukkah too!

  4. Lydia Says:

    I finally have something to add to the conversation.

    I read a book of traveling through Mozambique http://www.amazon.com/Both-Hands-Waving-Journey-Mozambique/dp/0795701446
    and one of the most disturbing things that Justin Fox wrote about was the use of the beaches for toilets. Quite disgusting.
    I guess I am just drawn to potty talk.

    On the other hand, the fact that you don’t have to worry about finding a bathroom that is acceptable on some travels would be quite a relief! There are moments during my travels I would have much prefered a beach!

  5. Posted from United States United States
  6. Jules Says:

    Wow ! Who would have guessed that Ghana had so much in common with Hoboken on a Friday or Saturday night.

  7. Posted from United States United States