BootsnAll Travel Network



Delhi Living

Two weeks in I suppose it’s time to write! Already I’ve been socially faux pas-ing all over the place. Yvonne and I became the two most unpopular girls in school yesterday when we sat at the warden’s table for lunch. All the other people in our hostel were sitting at the tables for regular folk and the only two foreigners in the building strutted right up to the top to sit with the bosses. Not a good move for making friends.

I should probably back up a little bit and introduce the people I will be rambling on about for the rest of the summer. Yvonne is my team-mate, from Hong Kong, currently studying in the US. We’re living in the Indian All Women’s Conference Centre, a place where working women from all over India (and now with us – the world) come to stay when they’re working in Delhi. Our other two team mates are Delhites so they stay at home and we all get together Monday to Friday in our shared office to try and write a case study for UNICEF.

We’re working on toilets at the moment. It’s supposed to be a general health type programme for schools but toilets seem to be the only thing anyone’s interested in around here. Clean drinking water is often forgotten about when someone visits to brief us on the programme. One chap got so excited he spoke to us for three and a half hours when he was supposed to have been on a day off.

Our job seems to be to go to the countryside and see if SWASTH+, which was part of UNICEF’s programme in two Indian states, has made a difference to the hygiene standards in some schools. I say ‘seems to be’ because no one seems sure. Our plan is to head down to Karnataka next Sunday, find some people who may not have washed their hands before this programme came riding in to town, and see if they are now scrubbing after using the facilities. Also have to check if the school still has ‘facilities’.
By the end of this summer I will be full of funny toilet stories, my friends will be amazed. Our research supervisor, Sindhu, has been telling us great tales of how when she was a student they used go to the villages to see how the people there were getting on with their newly constructed toilets. These people have only ever had mud huts and when some billy from the city came along and built a cement structure next to their house they rejoiced that they now had a cement home. And so the toilets were rarely used as toilets. The villagers used pull a slate over the latrine so the unsightly toilet could not be seen and then use their new room for a host of other activities. By August we will hopefully be saying that this is no longer the case, and that the people of Gulbarga have embraced the new technology.
Being back in India is great fun. Yvonne now knows to run away quickly whenever anyone asks me where I’m from. It usually goes a little like this:
“I’m from Ireland”

“Oh! The UK!”

*Loads shotgun*

Ok, so I haven’t loaded my shotgun yet but I’m getting there. I like to ask the Indian people how they’re getting on with the British Raj these days and generally they get the idea.

I passed a pop quiz on my first day here. Every time I got a taxi into town I passed the President’s palace and India Gate, a lovely arc type structure. And every taxi driver likes to take a few moments to explain both to me. Instead of being rude I sit there and nod. Once I may have nodded with too much enthusiasm. The guy pulled over, whipped out a photo album and went through all of Delhi’s famous sights. He wouldn’t believe that I’d seen them all before and just wanted to go to town so I started naming them all as he flipped. After getting about ten in a row correct he finally gave in and were on our way again.

I passed a pop quiz on my first day here. Every time I got a taxi into town I passed the President’s palace and India Gate, a lovely arc type structure. And every taxi driver likes to take a few moments to explain both to me. Instead of being rude I sit there and nod. Once I may have nodded with too much enthusiasm. The guy pulled over, whipped out a photo album and went through all of Delhi’s famous sights. He wouldn’t believe that I’d seen them all before and just wanted to go to town so I started naming them all as he flipped. After getting about ten in a row correct he finally gave in and were on our way again.

Photos will be up once I get another break from toilet training.



Tags:

27 responses to “Delhi Living”

  1. They dissolve slowlly over three to four months, releasing small quantities of testosterone into the blood stream, but speeding up
    when needed by the bocy – duribg strenuous activities, for example – and slowing down during quiet times, a characteristic no
    other type of hormone therapy can offer.

    Visit my weblog; http://bayareamags.xyz/blogs/viewstory/203189

  2. Adviuse patients of the potential increased cardiovascular risk associated with testosterone replacement therapy.

    My homepage – http://epicgraph.com/profile/VelvaVenn

  3. Based onn our findings, we’re requiring labeling changes for all prescription testosterone productts too represent the possible increased risk of
    strokes and heart attacks associated with testosterone use.

    Here is mmy site http://www.greenacre.co.za/index.php/component/k2/itemlist/user/601988

  4. Elma says:

    Testosterone therapy curgs normal testicular function, and therefore it is crucial to comprehend shrinkage of the testicles will probably happen with long twrm use in additon to cause infertility for a
    guy oof any age Another common effect of testosterone therapy
    comprises changes to red blood cells , and any man getting testosterone theapy should be monitoring consistently byy a medical provider to assess treatment response and handle consequences of therapy.

    Look into my blog – teztosterone therapy benefits (Elma)

  5. Since the publication of the Society’s 2006 CPG, there have been important advances in measurement and testosterone testing.

    Feel free to visit my webpage –dr. dov j rand

  6. Louella says:

    Pharmaceutical companies and for-profit clinics have reaed huye gains by convincinhg comparatively healthy men that taking supplemental hormones will make the more attractive, more pokwerful and virile.

    My web-site; testosterone therapy cost ftm (Louella)

  7. Ensure the analysis of hypogonadism was verified wih laboratory testing, before initiating testosterone replacement therapy.

    Also viit my web-site; http://asin.ncity.net/wiki/index.php/%EC%82%AC%EC%9A%A9%EC%9E%90:TiaraDimarco

  8. Jayson says:

    Human Growth Hormone replacemet therapy can provie loots of benefits, several benefits have been shhown over
    and over.

    my homepage – testosterone therapy benefits (Jayson)

  9. High levels of testosterone lower the danger of high blood pressure and heart attack and
    promote good halth in men.

    My web-site … http://the1gate.com/index.php/component/k2/itemlist/user/71464

  10. Benny says:

    You’re no longer getting optimum outcomes from dieting, and work outs that arre disciplined.

    Check out my page – anti aging supplements rsviews (Benny)

  11. I’ve heard about tthe side affects off HGH and testosterone, so I’m
    not into trying those.

    Visit my bllog post; testosterone therapy cost uk

  12. Of course I also pick up matching shower curtains
    and rugs. If you are unable to see the property a second or third time you still have ways of
    ensuring you’re not walking into a lemon. But isolation is not healthy over long periods of time.

  13. Of course I also pick up matching shower curtains and rugs.
    Also if you can keep a binder that will hold all the information including brochures and online printouts, this will help you to stay organized.
    Chances are you won’t walk into parties and many social gatherings to you may sometimes need to force the issue with others.

  14. Yet even Dr. Rajat Barua, the author of the veteran study,
    acknoeledged that the mechanics linnking testosterone levels and cardiovascular troubles are too poorly understood – and the signs is overly mixed
    – tto recommend testosterone therapy for cardiovascular issues alone,
    much lewss for men with normal testosterone levels.

    Also visit my webb blog: http://inordertolive.website/wiki/User:Addie62527534760

  15. After obtaining info from the electronic record systems of 150
    clinics and 15 hospitals, the researchers looked at the combined cardiovascular event
    rate of heart attack, stroke and death in men with low testosterone who received testosterone therapy and
    in those who didn’t.

    My website – http://inordertolive.website/wiki/User:AnitraForster68

  16. Guys with sleep apnea experience frequent, but short, intervals oof interrupted breathing while they sleep.

    Here iss my blog post – testosterone therapy side effects hair loss – http://www.nwseran.com/?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=user&id=1395801

  17. High testosterone levels correlate with behaviour that is high-risk, however, including smoking
    and increased aggressiveness, which might cancel out these heealth benefits.

    My blog; http://kmmecca.com/?document_srl=354432

  18. Particularly, men with smaller testicles endure more from shrinkage while on treatment than men with biggedr testicles.

    Alsoo visit my web page; http://175.204.227.125/nc/?document_srl=3239808

  19. Ernestine says:

    Before taking a testosteronne injection, tell your physician about all other medicines, nutritional supplements and herbal products you’re taking.

    Here is my web blog – testosterone therapy side effeccts
    heart (Ernestine)

  20. This empowers yur body to revive the functions that was weakened when the number oof
    your testosterone decreased.

    Look at my ppage :: dr dov rand nj

  21. Girls start to experience menopause after a certain age and there are symptoms like
    decline in sexuyal desire, in addition to night sweats and
    hot flashes.

    my blog post :: http://red1611.nflint.com/xe/?document_srl=161102

  22. Besides aging, supplementation of tthe hormone will reduce the body’s natural
    ability to produce testosterone.

    Take a look at my homepage … http://weld-metal.ir/?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=user&id=192371

  23. Carol says:

    Previous studies aree conducted in men on testosterone replacement
    treatment andd its cardiovascular effects, with distinct results.

    Heree is myy homepage … testosterone therapy side effects depression (Carol)

  24. Brayden says:

    In people with human immunodeficiency virus infection or other chronic diseases, testosterone was
    shgown to improve energ and moood levels in patients with normal
    testosterone levels.

    Feel free to visit my homepage … testosterone therapy sside effects
    anger (Brayden)

  25. Yet men appropriately diagnosed with testosterone deficiency shouild
    contemplate treatment after ample dialogue about the threats as well as benefits
    person to their specific health status.

    Also visit mmy site – http://dudugagu.com/wow/676917

  26. Anny man with prostate cancer contemplating hormone theraly should figure out from
    their doctor exactly how large the gain is
    anticipated to be in their specific situaion to allow them
    to weiggh it against the listt of possible side effects,
    ” Nguyen included by eoectronic mail.

    Heere is my site; http://amazeh.com/?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=user&id=150699