BootsnAll Travel Network



Drama for yo momma

Well, I’m not in Nepal anymore…

I planned on extending my visa for the last time in Pokhara, since I’d been in KTM for so long and there are many more tourists there than before. I was going to extend it on the last day possible, because why do today what you can put off till tomorrow? Pokhara is that mellow. Anyway, I broke down and did the responsible thing and went to the immigration office sooner than later.

I had tried to extend it (my visa) in KTM, but they told me I needed my India visa first (since I was going there next) and a bus or plane ticket out of the country. If I bought a ticket to show immigration in KTM, then I would have to go back there (6 -14 hours) to catch the bus to India, which is just extra (bus) time and money. Apparently it’s much more difficult to extend your last visa (after 120 days), so I grabbed my Indian visa and took a bus to Pokhara.

When I got to the Pokhara immigration office, they (3 people) were just staring at my passport for a while, finally they told me I had been there (Nepal) for 120 days. I said “yup” and they told me I have to have a bus/plane ticket out of the country, so I showed them my ticket that I bought that morning. They all stared at that for awhile, then they told me that I had been in the country for 120 days, and I said “very good, is there a problem”? They finally let me know that your last visa can only be extended in KTM. So, I took a deep breath and asked if someone could help me solve this problem. They said “oh yes, we’ll send someone by taxi to KTM and they’ll do everything for you.” I asked how much that would cost and they said 3,000 RS (about $50), plus the cost of extension ($30)! So, I told them “shit, I really love Nepal, but I guess I’m going to India in two days!” This is what did it for me, they told me (really calm and the guy took an extra step, so I could smell the Dal Baht on his breath) sir, you already have a ticket for Nov 17th, either you HAVE to go to KTM and the office will be closed when you get there (festival), or you send one of OUR employees. I’ve learned a lot about myself on this trip, one of the things I’m realizing is that when I’m cornered I become very illogical (super un-Spock like) and quite stubborn! I ended up telling them “no, I don’t HAVE to do either and if I need to buy a new ticket to India then that’s fine with me.”

When I walked out of there, I was asking myself what the hell I just did that for? I love Nepal and Pokhara and it’s perfect trekking weather, the best two months of the year. Oh well, guess I’m going to India in two days, I told my friend Pete (from England). I had to repair for India as best I could on two days notice, so I did what any hardened, experienced traveler would do, I ate all the things that I might not find in India! One of those things got me sick and I was hoping it wouldn’t last till my bus ride the next day!

Woohoo!

I took the bus to the boarder puking out the window, a very enjoyable way to see the country side. The whole row of people behind me were re-examining there breakfast as well. When your head is hanging out the window of a nasty Nepali bus and you have chunks coming out of your nose and mouth, you see the country from a different point of view. Anyway, the last two hours were ok. I got to the boarder and had to find the hotel that had my ticket to Gorakpur, the next town in India. Oh, I didn’t have to buy a new ticket, but I had couldn’t cancel, I could only change the times and dates(would have saved money if I could have canceled and done it all as I went).

I found the hotel at the boarder and some scumbags told me that the bus was late and it would stop in front of the hotel. I had a bad feeling (which I pay attention to much more on this trip), but I did just empty my stomach and my legs weren’t under me yet. I ended up waiting there and then they asked if I wanted to change money, luckily I changed some in Pokhara, so I knew the rate. I asked the rate and commission and agreed to change 10,000 Nepali RS, I had a nice round number in my pocket just for this reason. They tried to short me 1,000 Indian Rupees, so I got up grabbed my money, which they wouldn’t let go of. I stopped and looked at the scumbags with the eyes of a man who had just puked all morning and has nothing left to loose and told them “don’t make me do this”. I was surprised at how pissed I was! I didn’t need to say another word, they handed it to me and I put on my backpack and walked out. I found the bus about a minute later and the owner came to me and apologized. He asked if he could change money for me since I wouldn’t be able to do it in the next town. 1.6 Nepali = 1 Indian, so I gave him 10,000 Nepali for 5,900 Indian including commission. Just as the bus was ready to leave, the scumbags came on and told me that I owe each of them 50 RS (Indian). I told them that I’m not giving them one RS and if I have to get off of this bus, they’ll both need enough money for a hospital, so do the math. They told me to get off, I said OK, I put on my backpack and they ran out. That was that, and lucky too, because I would have been in trouble with my big backpack attached to me!

Anywho, I spent the rest of the night in the train station buying my ticket to Delhi for the next day at 5:00 pm, before I found a hotel (a real shit hole)! I slept maybe two hours that night due to some unwanted company… Rats and Cockroaches! The Cockroaches were all over my bed (they were the BIG one’s that fly too), but at least the rats stayed off. They (rats) were busy trying to get into my backpack, so I had to grab my pillow and start swinging, so that I could try to hang my pack up somewhere with out getting bit! That was a loooong night and I slept with the light on! The next day the neighbors were looking at me really weird. They heard me cursing at the cockroaches before I would kill them and then laugh out loud at it and ask it’s friends why they are running away! I’m a fruit-loop!

I just arrived in Delhi this morning and it really isn’t as bad as I was expecting. It’s madness, but there is enough to do here, so I guess I’ll stay a couple of days. I just wanted to let everyone know where I’m at. I’ll be heading to the north soon and I’ll let you all know where I’m at when I arrive. Later.



Tags:

Leave a Reply