BootsnAll Travel Network



Kanagroo Stalking at the Doctor’s Nose

KangaroosIn Tenterfield, we visited a really small boutique vineyard called the Doctor’s Nose, named after a hill in the nearby ridge line. We had a great tasting and conversation with the proprietor. As we were leaving, I asked how frequent kangaroo spotting’s really are. As in, is it a big deal if you see one like spotting a deer at home or is more like seeing squirrels in the park? According to our host, it’s a daily occurrence in the bush. He offered to take us on a ride through his property to look for the roos that had been around his house that night.

Doctor's NoseSo we hopped in this little Datsun-ish truck and took off through the fields. At first we were on dirt roads, but we soon we driving straight through the grass. Tall grass, several feet high. He knew the land well enough to avoid hitting a hidden bolder, which was interesting. After scouring the area, he spotted a roo. It was laying beneath a tree in the next pasture. We approached the fence and they took off. Three of them. Apparently, during the day, one kangaroo will keep watch while the others sleep. Our guy had spotted the look-out. We followed them to an adjoining pasture and watched them until they were out of sight. A very impressive sighting.

I saw a few more on our trip home, but nothing close to the Doctor’s Nose.

– Carrie



Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *