BootsnAll Travel Network



Tilcara

From Salta I had a short bus journey to Tilcara a small town in the far north of Argentina only a couple of hours from the Bolivian border. It was noticeably very different from the rest of Argentina, very little European influence, traditional style adobe buildings, cobbled streets and very few descendents of European people. Hardly anyone there spoke a word of English, whcih was good for me as I´ve got very lazy with speaking Spanish when there are people that can speak English. The hostel I stayed in was really nice, a group of cabins around a central courtyard with hammocks. I was sharing with 3 Argentinians so even there I had to speak Spanish.

I arrived in the town in the early afternoon and soon realised it was going to have to be a very relaxing few days. Here they seemed to have a siesta which lasted from midday to about 6pm and everything would shut. THe next day I went to Humahuaca, another small town a bit further north. It was similar to Tilcara and it was interesting jsut top walk around the main square, and I went up to a big statue on a hill overlooking the town. In the afternoon I went back to Tilcara and had a good walk up to a waterfall on the edge of town and then another walk to a small lake the other side of town.

The following day I went to see the Pucara, a partially restored pre-hispanic fort on a hill over looking the town. THen I went to the archaeology museum where a lot of the finds from the fort were displayed.

In the evening I got the bus back to Salta so that I could get another bus further south the following day. But I´ve had a bit of a change of plan. As it is a really nicecity and I´m staying in a nicehostel, I´ve decided to stay a bit longer and have arranged to start some Spanish lessons tomorrow.

Tags: ,



Leave a Reply