BootsnAll Travel Network



Sucre

I  arrived in Sucre late afternoon, so just had time to have a quick walk round the centre before it got dark and it seemed like a really nice city.  And it was, I ended up staying longer than I planned.

The next day I explored more of the city and went to a really interesting museum about indigenous art from the area.  It was all about how the traditional designs and techniques had been forgotten but in the last few decades there had been a big effort to revive the traditions.  In the evening I went to the main Gringo cafe to watch the film-documentry about the mines in Potosi, after having been there a few days ago it was really interesting hear about the mines from the point of view of 2 boys that had to work there.
The next day I went on a trip to a cement works just outside of town where there are thousands of dinosaur footprints in a cliff face.  Can´t decide whether I believe they are real or not, despite our guides insistence that thay had been verified by a team of Swiss paleontologists.  But I started to have my doubts when the guide described one of the dinosaurs as being a similar species to the Loch Ness monster, and I really don´t think he was joking.  On the tour I met a nice couple from London and an Irish guy and spent the rest of the day with them.  I was suppossed to be catching a bus that evening but was persuaded to stay and travel with the English couple the next day.
In the morning I went to the museum of Bolivian history, basically they have been in a lot of wars and lost all of them, so the country is about half the size it used to be.  We went to a nice cafe over looking the city for lunch, before having to get the bus in the evening.  As usual in Bolivia,  at the bus station there was chaos and we ended up being delayed leaving for over an hour because of some pricing scam.  But we did eventually arrive in Santa Cruz the next morning.

Tags: ,



Leave a Reply