BootsnAll Travel Network



Spicy food and other delights!

Cyclone? Tornado? Independence Day?

There is a giant cloud outside that looks like it may spawn 10 or 12 tornadoes (see photos), so I decided to spend some time commenting on a few random topics instead of heading out for dinner.

First of all, spicy food. It’s no secret that Thai food is HOT. Aside from rice and possibly fish sauce, chiles are the most commonly found ingredient in pretty much any sort of food. Even the fresh fruit vendors package up your pineapple or guava or papaya or bananas with a bag of sugar mixed with crushed chiles – there is no escaping it!

No escaping it, unless you happen to be foreign. If you are foreign, Thai people will be terrified to serve you spicy food, issuing warning upon warning if something that you order has any sort of flavor to it. They will then go prepare it without said flavor, pleasing many westerners out there but certainly not pleasing me!

There is quite a bit of Thai food that is prepared relatively spice free, as the consumer is expected to add their own mix of spices from the standard selection on the table: sugar, crushed red pepper, fish sauce and chopped chiles. However, there are also many foods that are hot to begin with, such as any sort of curry and, my favorite, Pad Kaprow Gai (chicken stir-fried with fresh basil and many chopped chiles).

Any time that I tried to order such a dish, the cook would suddenly look very nervous, saying “hot!” or simply “phet,” which is the Thai word for spicy. I would nod, encourage them, try to convince them that it’s okay, I really CAN handle it! They would reluctantly give in and then examine me as I ate, curious as to whether my head would explode.

I probably received the most warnings at school. Around Teacher Appreciation Day, there was free lunch for all of the teachers, delicious self-serve things in pots, prepared by fellow teachers. I went downstairs and was excited to see a giant pot full of hot red curry, one of my favorites! I started to ladle it onto my plate of rice, only to be interrupted by another teacher jumping in to save the day! “Oh no, spicy! You don’t want! Bamboo soup there!” she excitedly informed me, pointing to a boring-looking pot of broth. I smiled and shook my head, pointing at the curry saying “good!” She looked concerned, but let me be.

During the course of eating that wonderful curry, I had THREE different teachers pass by and tell me “Spicy! You don’t like, bamboo soup!” Keep in mind that I was already halfway through my meal and was well-aware of its temperature…I had to wonder if the bamboo soup was included strictly because of the farang teachers!

Anyways, I took that experience as my cue to learn a VERY important phrase: Di-chan chaep phet!” which means “I like spicy food.” It has been magic, and although most Thais will give me a doubtful, worried look when I say that, at least they cook my food correctly and let me eat in peace!

The issues at school are no more – I’ve established myself as a chile-eating farang who can actually handle it! The food stands that I frequent know what I like and start to make my plate before I can even say anything, giving me a knowing smile and saying “Ajarn, phet!” The lady who grills Thai sausage down on the street below my room now knows to add the bag of chiles when she packages my meal, the pad thai girls no longer leave out the spice and the fruit guy knows that I want the condiments with my fruit. All in all, I feel pretty proud of myself – it’s not every day that Thais will put chiles into a blonde girl’s food!

While I’m on the topic of food (one of my favorites), I’ll go ahead and mention a few more incredible recent discoveries! First and foremost, the icecream that is sold on the street. Most Thais are lactose-intolerent and the icecream is (hand)made with coconut milk in lieu of cream. There is usually some sort of nut mixed in, pistachios or cashews, then it is scooped not into a cone or into a bowl, but into a hotdog bun (which is first filled with chopped fresh coconut)! A bit of sweetened condensed milk is poured on top and then, for 10 baht, you have an amazing, not-too-heavy icecream sandwich to enjoy!

A lighter but equally delicious dessert involves a bowl full of crushed ice, chopped fruit, coconut milk and sugar syrup. I’m in love with this concoction, though there are a few strange things that Thais use as toppings for both this and for icecream… corn and kidney beans! Yes, both of these things are used as a dessert ingredient, specifically for iced desserts. I’ve yet to try either one, but the day will come…I’ll make sure to report on it when it does!

Next there is the fresh-squeezed juice. On every corner you can find a vendor squeezing oranges, pineapples and whatever else they happen to have straight into plastic bottles, which are then capped and sold for a mere 10 baht apiece. Refreshing!

I can’t forget the Khao Tom Gloo-ay, which are pieces of banana hidden in a big ball of sticky rice then wrapped in a banana leaf and grilled. There is a woman who sells these right at the gate to our school for 5 baht apiece…every day I would want to try one, but could never wait that long to eat breakfast. I finally held off a few days ago and bought a couple of freshly grilled treats for my morning meal – I am now forever changed! Those things are like crack, I can’t imagine NOT having them for breakfast now!

There is another specialty downstairs that I’m trying not to make a habit of consuming – fresh donuts! Basically there’s a woman with a big wok full of oil, throwing in balls of sugary dough then scooping them right out and into a pile next to the wok. You walk up, fill up a plastic bag with however many you want and grab a plastic bag of chilled milk. You then dip the doughnuts into the milk and try to savor it before the heart attack hits! (You can also stop at the man next to her and pick up a few small skewers of grilled chicken, just in case you need some protein with that sugar)

Despite this wonderland of food, I’ve managed to actually drop a few pounds. As I’ve said before, it’s coming largely from lifestyle – if I want to take the subway or a boat, I walk for 20 minutes. If I want room furnishings or groceries, I walk there then carry things back. If I want to mail something, I walk to the post office. I walk home from work everyday, I walk 10 minutes to do my laundry and, of course, I walk any time that I want to eat something. I have no fridge or kitchen or hot water, so there is always a journey involved.

On top of these things, I’m no longer sitting at a computer all day, I NEVER sit in a car, I’m able to run more than my injuries had allowed over the past two years and, very importantly, my beer consumption has DROPPED. Austin is full of delicious microbrews and relaxed patios that persuade you to just “have one more,” whereas Thailand is full of not-so-tasty Asian beer and crazy karaoke bars. I think it’s for the better!

Enough of my mindless rambling, I’m now starving and am going to go brave the storm – I’m sure that whatever I find will be well worth it!



Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “Spicy food and other delights!”

  1. Gabe Says:

    Speaking of warnings…..i should NOT have read that before dinner! Thanks to your blog…i just found the only “thai” restaurant Waco has to offer! I cant wait to eat spicy thai food for every meal 🙂 I am already working on the phrase “Di-chan chaep phet” but when they look at me with crazy eyes…feel free to jump in and correct my pronunciation!

  2. Allison Says:

    If you say Di-chan, you’ll be calling yourself a girl 😉 You want to say Pom…

    It’s one of the easiest phrases to say, and they usually understand…Pom Chop Pet! I hope that your dinner was good – in six days we’ll be sharing the real deal!

  3. Posted from Australia Australia
  4. Gabe Says:

    Thanks for tip 🙂 I bet that would have been a good laugh!

  5. Posted from United States United States
  6. Mom Says:

    OK – How in the world are you ever going to have the desire to move back to Austin, Texas? Thailand makes even Austin sound routine and boring. Can you imagine moving back to Denton? Well, guess that’s been off of your list of things to do for several years now, huh?

    And I have to tell you…the picture of those storm clouds nearly brought tears to my eyes; you know how I adore storms, tornado warnings and the loud rumble of thunder…It’s July in Texas and I’m really missing the weather changes. In fact, I never watch the weather anymore because I know what the forecast is. Enjoy those storms for me!

    I love you A.

    I’ll talk to you soon.

  7. Allison Says:

    Eh, Austin is far from boring! I will definitely be happy spending a good amount of time in Asia and the price shock when I get back is going to be TERRIBLE, but Austin is so much cleaner and comfortable! Even with the travelling I’ve done, I still think it’s one of the best cities in the world! Besides, America is where the people who matter to me are!

    But you are right, Denton won’t ever happen 😉

    The monsoon storms are really neat in one way (ie while I’m at school or in bed) and really irritating in another (ie they start right about the time that I have to walk home from school and continue through the time that I want to go eat dinner and run errands). Regardless, that cloud was pretty incredible and, amazingly enough, all it did was pour for about ten minutes!

  8. Posted from Thailand Thailand
  9. Mom Says:

    Hey Gabe, I’m really glad that you are finally there with Allison. Really, I am. Howver, you are cutting into her “blog-writing” time and that is my connection to her. So….one of you , I don’t care who…please start writing and keeping us informed. You both have a huge fan base here in Denton, Texas and we are waiting to here about your next big adventure.

    Love ya’ll,
    Mom

  10. Gabe Says:

    Sorry 🙂 We have been chasing monkeys / elephants in the rainforest. Trust me….there will be plenty for AMAC to write about. I will do my best at making sure she gets that done soon!

  11. Posted from Australia Australia
  12. Charles Says:

    So much good food…..sooooooo hungry!!!

  13. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply