Yang Yang Salmon Festival

22 Nov

Every year salmon swim upstream in October, before they lay their eggs. (Had I known they didn’t lay the eggs yet, I would have thought twice about partaking.) Every year YangYang has a big salmon festival to commemorate the event. You can buy fresh salmon, eat fresh salmon, learn about salmon, make salmon prints, and take pictures with killer salmon. You can also pay a mere fee of 20,000 won to catch a salmon with your hands!

Of course I hesitated, I didn’t want to kill a salmon. But then, I thought about how delicious that salmon would be. I thought about natives, painful hunger, and the respect and dignity involved in killing something for your own survival. Then I thought about my hunting skills. How am I supposed to live off the land in 5 years if I haven’t really tried to kill something? Especially a fish? “Okay, I’m in.”

Salmon are THIS BIG?  How am I supposed to catch THAT?  scary salmon.

Trip threat, all gloved up and ready to go

its COLD.

Traditional drumming begins, the countdown, and... SALMON TIME!

here we go..

AHHH I GOT ONE!

WE ALL GONE ONE!

Regret.  Poor Sammy's last words..

Amy told me:  They're not painting him while he's dying, its just an inkmassage!

How sad, that this is what your life has been reduced to.

CLOSE YOUR EYES!

Worth it?

Enough salmon to feed us for weeks..

2 Responses to “Yang Yang Salmon Festival”

  1. momma 26. Nov, 2007 at 10:45 pm #

    Awesome … and a killer fish! Yummy for you!

  2. patti 21. Dec, 2007 at 10:41 pm #

    What is this about living off the land in 5 years? Tell me more. Please e-mail me. Awesome. (I love the tender picture of you looking so loveingly at that salmon.)

Leave a Reply