Vehicular Emancipation

18 Jun

For the last eight months I’ve been enjoying the fruits of home.  Clean underwear, tap water, comfy bed, friends and family in hugging distance, a sexy vehicle in which to transport my lazy self to work and play.  Though I sometimes think and talk about past and future travels; I’ve found myself comfy and settled into the habitual patterns of life.

Whenever that happens the universe seems to well up in anger.  It roars, “STAY ON YOUR TOES!  ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!  BE AWARE!  DON’T TURN TO MUSH!  CONTEMPLATION AND MODERATION, NOT STAGNATION!”In a fit of rage, I’m sure, the universe manifested five tattooed local jerks to steal from me in my one place of New Jersey solace; Island Beach State Park.  

My big buddha bag full of wallets, car keys, and fancy water bottles… Dougie’s backpack with spanish books, fishing tackle, and a driver’s license… GONE.We grabbed a guy in a jeep to give us a ride from the jetty.  What a heartsore, to see Dougie gathering bits and pieces of his things strewn across the tire tracks in the sand, book pages blowing in the wind.As we approached the A-23 exit ramp a thought occurred to me; My car keys were in my bag.  My car was parked at A-23.  My.  Car.

A-23 parking lot was barren.  Two vehicles, neither mine, stared me down.  I laughed nervously in the back seat while our driver attempted to contact IBSP police.  As we blasted down the ‘boring black road’ I envisioned myself in a car chase from some action movie.  This was the most excitement I’ve had since coming home, and strangely enough, it was actually kind of fun.It turns out, my sexy escort is gone.  The officer gave me very little hope of it being found; the only way ‘these people’ could be caught is if they are stopped for speeding or a faulty tail light.  My inspection sticker is good until 2011.

Luckily, I left the car in dire need of an oil change.  (Haha!)  I only paid insurance up to the end of June.  It’s possible for me to ride my bike and take the bus to work in Princeton in the morning.  In order to do this, I’ll have to cut back my currently unmanageable schedule (good excuse to have more free time!)Ultimately, I feel liberated.  Freed from the daily 45 minute commute, control over route or traffic, and lonelillies as I consult my daily demons.

The universe always keeps me on my toes.  It’s time to start learning this lesson.

One Response to “Vehicular Emancipation”

  1. patipatins 15. Feb, 2011 at 3:26 am #

    I love this story and the way you did “accept” the path it went…Have good expirience in your new travel! ejoy it all min. and sec.!! ONE LOVE

Leave a Reply