Mallorca

23 Nov

I spent three weeks in Mallorca; it was relaxing, invigorating, and totally beautiful! The farm was exactly what the pictures were… and the family who ran it and workers were kind and offered some insightful conversations.

We went to a delicious dinner on our last week in Mallorca during the festival. Unfortunately, this is the only photo I have of almost everyone together.
fam

Turn your head left to meet Juan (Hoo-an). He was an inspiration and a truly great human being. He has been ‘woofing’ (working on organic farms for just room and board) for 15 or so years. He practices martial arts, tai chi, and enjoys walking in the mountains in his spare time. AND he’s single ladies! Woo!
hjuan

This is Brendan. He’s English and owns the farm with his wife, Connie, and two sons. He’s funny, neurotic, and yells cuss words at their labrador puppy ‘doughie’ every time he pees on the floor (at least 6 times per day.)
Bren
This is doughie. I loved him.
doughie

Kyle and I…
me and ky
…rented a car for a weekend and explored the island. The car was stick so Kyle drove… the roads were insane.
view of roads
Totally narrow, cobblestoned, and there was a roundabout every 15 minutes. We found the coolest secret beach called Sa Calobra…

and checked out the biggest fair on the island… Dijous Bo! Farmers brought their livestock to show or sell. We saw tons of animals… horses, chickens, cows, pigs (alive, and for eating)… etc.
horses

crazy horse guy

pigs suckling

dead pig
Local entrepreneurs also brought their homemade goodies for selling
yum

While on the farm the work was simple yet involved many muscles I’m not accustomed to using. We pulled weeds, picked lemons and veggies, and collected rocks.
lemons
before…
before
after…
after
Rrrrocks don’t ‘rock.’ At all.
kyle rocks

rocks

After a long day’s work, we swam in their fresh water pool that also doubled for a container to water the fields. We usually swam just around sunset, which made for a magical atmosphere.
pool

The sunset views from the farm were totally spectacular. I found myself living with the sun and moon cycles. I watched the sun rise and set just about every day. I felt totally ‘at one’ with the land, the sky, and myself.
sunset

sunset 2

Nature has so many ways of expressing its beauty. We watched, one day, as a hawk soared down from the sky after circling for a few minutes to pick up one of our hen’s chics. She tried to fly to chase after it, but only made it 3 feet into the air. Afterwards, the hen squawked constantly for 20 minutes… mourning the loss of her little yellow baby. It was beautiful. The circle of life.

All kinds of fruit grew on the trees in Mallorca. Lemons, limes, oranges, pomagranites. You name it.
lem

limes

pom

No comments yet

Leave a Reply