Milano

22 Nov

“If no ones here that would be finnneee,” my song in my cabin of the overnight train to Napoli. My feet are cold and dinner was a yogurt, some granola, and a chunk of dark chocolate. Mmmm. I was feeling homesick tonight. And just when I think traveling on my own is boring and blah, a concert starts up at the Milano Centrale Train Station! A huge stage is set up in one of the wings, and tons of people are all hoarding in to see the concert. Who knew November 25 was women violence awareness day?

The band started up fully equipped with a ukalele, bass, flute, and singers. They did one song, something reggae-esque and a lady started lecturing something about anti-violenze. I headed to the train.

This crazy afrikan guy with rotten teeth sits down in my cabin. GREAT. His breathe smells and he wont stop trying to communicate, even though I am writing with earphones on. This guy is actually really funny. He seems to be obsessed with perfecting the shades so they are closed completely. He keeps messing with them. Even when he leaves for a smoke, he reaches his hand back inside the door of the cabin to straighten the friggen shades before closing the door. I am laughing aloud. Priceless.

The rest of the train ride went okay. The funniest part was when an old Italian man entered our cabin around midnight clapping in rhythm and yelling something that I think means “get up.” I awoke with a start and he sits down and passes out. Meanwhile, I am shaken and flustered… what the…?? I finally attempt to find a comfortable position to get some sleep, pass out and wake to half of my body numb. Shake. Reposition. Repeat. All night long. FINALLY, as it will, the sun did rise. My window seat gave me a great advantage of seeing the first bit of light rise from beyond the mountains. First a pale yellow, which in minutes became a dazzling red-orange-yellow atop foggy gray mountainside. The silouhettes were intense – a perfect blend of colors I could never recreate in photo, painting, words, or reproduction of any kind.

No comments yet

Leave a Reply