The Birth of Lamby

28 Nov

So yesterday Katrina shouted something including “bambini” and “baaa” to me across the yard. I have no idea how I understood, but hurried over to where Ales was stooped. He held one hand onto a sheeps collar and the other onto its tail. Meanwhile, the sheep is bleating for dear life, and I notice what can only be described as a 2 year olds snot rocket just dangling there. Yes, out of the sheeps… well… backside. Within the gelatinous mucous I notices two very small hooves… OOH ITS HAVING A BABY!






With each baaaa the mother squeezed a bit of this jelly lamb out. My favorite part was when just the hooves and head were showing and the lamb (through the mucous water balloon) opened its mouth and stuck out its toungue! After two minutes Ales got impatient and reached his hand in there and tried tugging on the slimy jello legs. This nearly impossible task was abandoned when Katrina approached, and, with a womans gentle touch, pulled the little slippery monster onto the ground. As soon as the snot sack it the dirt it kinda exploded-splashed. The Momma sheep started eating, yes, EATING the snot membrane. She licked the haby clean, head first, adn that little lamb opened her lovely lamb eyes and took her first rhaspy lamb breath. The cutest high-pitched internal mmmaaaaaa was heard and all three of us laughed. I felt bad that I wasnt of much use as a bystander during the birth, but I sprinted when Katrina mentioned a need for a towel.



The lamb was getting stronger and braver by the minute. She attempted standing (front knees, back feet down, wobble, fall). My overbearing farm friends liefted the baby to the Mommas utters and tried to force nursing upon the little thing! I gasped, as this was totally against my own birthing-nature philosophy. My brain shouted “Let her figure it out! She can do it!” but then again, what can I really know about this sort of thing. I have never birthed anything before, maybe they know what they are doing. I kept my mouth shut and squatted there with the baby and Momma for the next hour and some. I laughed with the baby kept stumbling. It reminded me of my little babies at Lakeview… always so excited then they fall.. but always get up and try again. I watched her take her frist knobby steps, and sighed as Momma nudged the aby with her snout in the gentlest motherly way. After over an hour the baby was walking like a pro-sheep.

Now walking, the lamb kept searching for the nip but couldnt find it. Ales came back out and said this is a bad sign… if she doesnt eat soon she wont have the energy to LIVE! So he held the Momma and I lifted up that sticky sweet lamb and shoved her face as gentle as possible at what can only be described as teh longest nipple I have ever seen! As I felt up the Momma and inserted her… well, teet, into the babys mouth I was so proud! She sucked away, and I helped! Without me, this little lamb would never have foudn the teet and would wither and die! I reveled in the nursing for the next few minutes, with a glazed over smile, as I daydreampt all things baby.

No comments yet

Leave a Reply