Lahu Village, Thai Yoga Massage

12 May

How do I start to describe this experience? 

 Marnie told me when I was first thinking of joining the Pyramid Yoga course about how things just fall into place when you find your path.  Maybe it’s a bit like the time Jessy and I were stuck in the woods behind Sayen Gardens; we were trudging through thicket and stickers and mud and branches to the eye with all kinds of difficulty.  The sun was going down and it was scary, but we wouldn’t turn around (probably my stubbornness).  After 20 or 30 minutes of  pushing through bushes and climbing over brush we came across a lit path made of concrete, about 20 feet to our left.  It was there all along.  We were going the same direction of the path, parallel.  Ironic, but that’s the way my life is positioned.  I’m resistant to doing things the easy way, seemingly, exuding all kinds of extra effort.  But the path is right there, twenty feet to my left. 

Hah. I find myself now, at 25 years old, with a teaching degree, without a job, in the mountains of northern Thailand, studying Thai yoga massage.  How I got here, I’m not sure.  But I think somehow I have found my path.  I’m sure theres some thicket and bramble.  But at least I have a direction.  Thankfully. This massage course was fused with buddhist concepts surrounding insight meditation, yoga of mindfulness, and the connection of touch.  I have always believed in the importance of touch, and it’s connection with contentment.  The Thai massage I learned integrates yoga stretching positions, internal energy lines, chakras, reiki, acupressure, and aromatherapy.  It is awesome.  After a good massage your body experiences restoration, energy, and clarity.  I WANT TO SHARE THIS. 

Our course was set in the Lahu Village, in a time where villages that are mostly untouched are people zoos, only this village wasn’t that way. People didn’t perform for us. Kids hit us with sticks. We awoke to the sound of pigs snorting and roosters crowing at 4 am. The village was ALIVE. The children were so beautiful. Learning massage amidst all this was the icing on the cake of the course. Unforgettable.   

2 Responses to “Lahu Village, Thai Yoga Massage”

  1. jessie 12. May, 2008 at 9:05 am #

    Lissa, It’s so ironic that you mentioned sayen gardens, because just yesterday – mother’s day – mom, mikey, paul and i walked through sayen gardens for the azaela festival and i told paul all about that exact incident.

    you’re writing and experiences bring tears of joy/jealousy to my eyes!!

  2. brody 12. May, 2008 at 10:37 am #

    dope! guess i just missed you up north there. thats a shame this sounds really cool. are you headed into laos by chance?
    drone_@hotmail.com

Leave a Reply