New Jersey Ramblers

19 Mar

 

Two siblings, two backpacks, conquering the universe with the power of ANICCA.

The journey has begun with no destination in mind.  A rough draft of our physical location is what we will follow, and continue on wherever the wind blows.

      march:       japan
      april:          taiwan, thailand
      may:          cambodia, vietnam
      june:          laos, malasia
      july:           indonesia, australia
      august:               ?  ?  ?

Any suggestions on places to volunteer?  Vacant homes to squat?  Beautiful forests to camp?  Mountains to climb?  Cheap internet locations?  Let us know!

We are learning so much every day, like:
– how not to use a Japanese rice cooker
– how not to navigate the Tokyo railways
– how not to find cheeseburgers in the trash
– how not to walk under an umbrella without getting wet

 It’s superfun traveling with Bubby.  Most people we meet are so surprised we are NOT a couple.  EW.  It’s sad to see a culture where even husband and wife don’t express emotion, not even a single “I love you.”

The best thing is the laughs.  We keep getting these rediculous delerious laughing attacks which usually result in either drool, snot, and/or staring passerbys. 

Did you know Bubby has a great singing voice?  Me neither.  This boy is fantastic.  I feel like I hardly knew him, and now we’re growing to be very close friends.  I couldn’t imagine a more compatible traveling partner.

I will continue to update this site as much as possible, though I have been debating a lot about the old ‘travel for me’ / ‘travel for people back at home’ argument.  I’m attempting to find lots of happy mediums in my life.  It’s a struggle for an “extremist” like me to find contentness in complacency.  Moderation and balance are so boooring.  Yet healthy, right?  This is where I am as of now.  Trying to find that logical area between madness and monotony.  If you know a short cut, let me know.

 Love,
Melissa

3 Responses to “New Jersey Ramblers”

  1. Eva Rumianowski 30. Mar, 2008 at 5:32 pm #

    Dan and Lissa, you look so happppyyyy… Wish I was was you. Miss you both. Love, Momma

  2. yuji 31. Mar, 2008 at 3:18 am #

    Dear Melissa, Dan(^_^)v.
    I had you show blog.
    Did you arrive at Osaka safely?
    Because it is hard, I cannot understand the English well, but, as for the next, is it gone to Thailand?
    Do you leave the airport of Osaka?
    There is not my linguistic ability and is sorry that I did not get communication.
    I came to enter the hot spring, but was not able to enter by suspension of business unfortunately today. However, I feel glad that I was able to meet two people.
    As for two people, it seems to be taken a trip to the world inside, and such a thing may be a daily occurrence, but, at the opportunity to get to know with a foreigner, it is rare for me.
    I do my simple self-introduction now.
    The age is 45 years old.
    Work is landscape gardening business. The birth is Kagawa.
    A family is a wife and the eldest son of junior high student two years, four families of the second son of the sixth grade at an elementary school.
    I pray for the trip that a journey is splendid carefully continuing from now on.

  3. Genevieve 04. Apr, 2008 at 10:52 am #

    I’m so glad to hear you’re having such a wonderful time! You guys look amazing (not in a couple way but in a super tight sibling way). I miss you two so much, my heart goes a little crazy when i think about you guys.
    Take Care!
    G

Leave a Reply