Japanland: Dragons, sunsets, and bamboo

31 Mar

Questions, questions.  Prior to leaving I had many.  One Mr. Lee verbalized on my arm:

Thankfully, the answer was “Yes.”

japan

 Rain in Japan comes and goes in a matter of minutes.  These fashionable raincoats bubs picked up have been VERY useful. 

 There are many funny signs in Japan.  I try to make many funny faces to combat them.

 There is one week where all the trees are beautiful with cherry and plum blossoms all throughout Japan.  They start to bloom in the south and work their way to the north.  Here are some of the most beautiful trees we saw:

 

Temples get boring after you have seen three or four (there are well more than 20 in Kyoto alone!)  We tried to make the photos interesting…

 We saw some Japanese cats and fish.  We took a 10 day Vipassana Meditation Course… (www.dhamma.org)…. and we were zen and full of anicca.

In the cities… many Japanese people are entertained by huge Pachinko parlors… kind of like slot machines only little metal balls come out instead of coins, and you try to redirect the little metal balls into holes in the machine.  It was expensive to try, but we did it.  Bubs face will dictate the amount of fun-ness….

One of our favorite budget meals turned out to be banana peanut sandwiches topped with strawberry jam.  Healthy, right?

Things you find on the street are both random and informative.

Bamboo is a strong and mighty plant.  Mom says it will take over our yard if we plant it.  Someone in Japan didn’t listen to their mom.

As it turns out, Japanese women visit relatives graves daily each morning, offering fresh flowers, fruit, and cans of beer.  Danny was amused.

Older women often show off their sexy kimonos on the streets.

Narrow Tokyo lanes were often full of deceptive garbage bags.  We thought many were full of cheeseburgers.  We were fooled.

At many Tokyo intersections, all the lights go red at once.  The crosswalks not only go across in all directions, but there are diagonal crosswalks, too!

We met Adam Shane’s friend Yuko for drinks, kareoke, and fishy fun!  She is, by far, the coolest girl in Tokyo! 

We crashed this dude’s kareoke going-away party with hits such as “Don’t go away” and “Bohemian Rhapsody.”

We sang and partied all night, and when the sun rose it was time for the FISH MARKET!  Huge tunas, a bell-ringin auction, and lots of fresh underwater creatures were seen all around.

The sushi was so delicious!  It was Danny’s first sushi experience, and he loved it.

Goodbye Yuko!  It was so much fun!

When in Tokyo, you must have MULTIPLE nights out in a row.  Doing this will, in fact, make you silly.

Our guide, Volfgang (who we often called “Volfy”) wanted more drinks at 8 am.  We made him settle for 900yen coffee.

After all this city fun, we needed a vacation from our vacation.  We decided to hitch a ride to the mountains… and volunteer at Chiiori (www.chiiori.org) in the Iya Valley.

One of our rides gave us 2000 yen and came back to check if we were okay three times.  He refused to try to communicate, unless we were translating on his cell phone.  Excellent human being.

We tested the tent for the first time at the rest stop that night.  “The coffin” was.. well.. cozy. 

Just a few hours outside the city and the sights were already easier on the eyes.

The Chiiori Project.  I’m proud to say I was involved.

The onsen (outdoor spa) at dusk overlooking the mountains…

Danny, at work…

Me, taking a break…

The crew, Omo-san is the neighbor in the center.

Rejuvenated and back to Osaka for a final crazy week of “Japanese underground music culture!”

And finally, a song:

Which do you dance for
Which makes you shine
Which will you choose now
If you won’t choose mine
Which will you hope for
Which can it be
Which will you take now
If you won’t take me
And tell me now
Which will you love the best.

– Nick Drake

2 Responses to “Japanland: Dragons, sunsets, and bamboo”

  1. momma 13. Apr, 2008 at 5:56 pm #

    I miss my crazy kids, but I’m so glad you are having so much fun. Wish I was with you both. Love you guys, Momma.

  2. patti McDougall 26. Apr, 2008 at 7:17 pm #

    Melissa,
    I love the wonderful life you are creating for yourself!
    You are so my IDOL!!
    love, Patti and fam

Leave a Reply