Goodbye New Jersey, Hello Gangneung!

28 Feb

Let me start by saying, I LOVE THIS PLACE. Everyone I’ve met is overly helpful and nice. My school is tiny and close-knit. There are three teachers TOTAL (including me), a director, and an office manager. The kids are like anime cartoons… pigtails, overexaggerated facial expressions, and weird laughs. If they are bad I am allowed to make them stand against the wall and hold a chair over their head. !!! I’m excited for that.

My flight to California started at 6:30am after a loooong sleepover night with the girls…
girlies
… a visit from sarmer…
sarmer
… and a confusing wait at Newark airport. Bubbs and I…
bubby and me
…saw this guy sleeping on the ground at the airport. 5 seconds later, he disappeared. WEIRD.
guy sleeping

I slept almost the whole way to California. I never heard from Jake, so I just hung out at the terminal to wait for my connecting flight to Seoul. The 747 I flew on was sooo sexy. Everybody had TV screens right behind the seat in front of you. I sat next to a Tae-kwon-do GRAND MASTER… 10th don. (He gave me his business card!)
map

I arrived in Seoul around 7 pm the following day.

Its weird crossing the date line, all of a sudden the day is just GONE. POOF. I met Lana, another girl teaching through Park English, who mentioned she might have an extra laptop for me to purchase from her! It was so funny to see my Korean escort waiting at the gate…

He grabbed my bags and headed out to his taxi-minivan. He was walking so fast, I had to jog to keep up with his pace. Then out of nowhere he starts running. I’m thinking ‘this dude is making off with my stuff’ so I sprint to keep up. He lands at the car, huffing and puffing, and loads up my stuff. I was so confused, but I guess he was in a hurry. We didn’t speak a word during the next HOUR ride to the Seoul main bus terminal. He carried my bags in and bought my bus ticket to Gangneung. He even waiting with me until the bus came, loaded my bags under it, and helped me to the correct seat in the bus! That’s what I call service! The bus ride was three hours. Julian, my director, and her husband were waiting in the parking lot for my arrival. When I got off the bus the first thing she says is: (and I quote) “Oooohh you cut your hair! You look like Brad Pitt!” ??!??!!?!

Julian and her husband deposited me at my new place. I LOVE IT.
door
my kitchen…
kitchen
balcony-ish… woo!
balcony

real bed, not a mat on the floor (thank you!)
bed
weird light fixture

sliding door to my kitchen
sliding door

Yes, it is TINY, but it is adorable. I love the heated fakewood floors. I lay on them every chance I get, especially when watching Korean cartoons. My apartment is so cute. I have everything I need in that apartment, minus a music playing device. (Which is killing me at the moment.)

I met this amazing girl, Amy, who I work with. She took me around town my first night. First we went to the ‘DC Mart, which is a small appliance-ish store.
DCmart
Then, to my first KOREAN MEAL! Mmmm processed fish in broth on a stick.

We’ve been hanging out ever since. I’ve done some wandering around on my own. I found the post office, a bunch of shops, and a really beautiful square.
square

My first experience grocery shopping was highly amusing. They sell pheasant eggs for under a buck, so I decided I’d try those. They are actually quite delicious, but hard to crack. They have this thick skin on them. I had a nightmare that I cracked one and there was a dead baby bird in it.
eggs
closeup..
egg closeup

We met some Korean dudes at the PCbong internet place down the block. We went to dinner with them last night…
korean friends
… then to the Kareoke bar! It was weird and fun and I loved every second of it. You rent out a room in this place that has couches, tamborines, a big TV, and a disco ball. You have to leave your shoes at the door, like all Korean places, and they lend you some slippers…
(haha sar I know you are gagging right now!)
slippers
You have a choice of about a million Korean songs or a few hundred English ones. I sang Metallica, Alanis, Janet Jackson, Radiohead, amongst others with my new friends. It was SO MUCH FUN.
kareoke
k2
k3
Now today, here I am. Back at the PCbong checking my email at 1 am. I just ordered a calling card from none other than www.callingcards.com. I can call home for 2.7cents per minute if it works out!

I’m a little nervous to start teaching on Monday. I’ve been practicing guitar, and my madeup “Good Morning” song. I hope the kids like me. I can’t wait to show them pictures of Bubby and everyone.

Wierdly enough, I haven’t gotten sad or homesick at all yet. I am totally in love with this place. Its not at all what I expected. Its so much better. I miss everyone tremendously, but yet in another way I realize how fantastically amazing this experience is for me. Ahh Korea. Dynamic Korea. Sarang He Korea.

10 Responses to “Goodbye New Jersey, Hello Gangneung!”

  1. Adam Shane 03. Mar, 2007 at 12:38 pm #

    Vlelissa! =)

  2. MARE BEAR 03. Mar, 2007 at 1:12 pm #

    I’m so glad you’re loving it, VLelissa! Your apartment is pretty effin swanky. Can you actually walk between the fridge and the sink? Photos are so amusingly deceiving. So, i’m on the blog connection hotlist, but not on the magic list that scores me your mailing address, or you’d already have air mail coming to you. WHats the deal? Add my ass!

    Love, Mare

  3. Jess! 04. Mar, 2007 at 9:24 pm #

    Lis, I just shared all of these amazing photos with the fam, gathered around our kitchen table. We – mom dad and mikey – are so psyched for you. Your apartment is adorable and those eggs look fowl. I cant wait to see pics of the cartoon korean kids. i’m living vicariously through that green sweater that used to be mine and is now in korea with you!! love you!

  4. Sara Casey 05. Mar, 2007 at 10:36 am #

    I’m a bit late responding… but I LOVE the pictures. Dynamic Korea – awesome. And your apartment is absolutely adorable. So are those two boys…

  5. jason 06. Mar, 2007 at 8:56 am #

    MFLESEES your apt is so nice..not only that it somehow fits you perfectly. i can tell from the pics. i am utterly impressed by you and this adventure you are on!

  6. liam 19. Apr, 2007 at 7:58 am #

    heynrr u still living there.i am an irish guy and i am on my way to work in gangneung. i dont know anyone and if ur there i would love to hear from u.nrliam

  7. Aimee 31. Jul, 2008 at 5:07 pm #

    hey – my friend Sara told me about your experience in Korea when I mentioned I’m looking to teach in Asia. What organization is it?
    Aimee
    PS safe travels

  8. Holly Hooper 08. Apr, 2009 at 9:56 am #

    Hi there!
    Are you still in Gangneung? I’m supposed to be leaving at the end of this month for a teaching position there. I would love to chat with you about the place!

    Thanks!

    Holly
    hollshoop@aol.com

  9. Kelly 16. Jan, 2010 at 10:49 pm #

    Hey there!
    Great blog about Gangneung! I´m moving there at the end of February for a teaching position and would love to talk to you about the city and your experience.

    Best,
    Kelly
    kellyminks@yahoo.com

  10. Katiria 12. Jun, 2010 at 9:20 am #

    Hello! Are you stilli in Gangneung-si? My name is Katiria, I´m also from New Jersey (Jersey City) but living in Spain now. I lived in Jeju-do, SoKo in 2008 and am planning on returning back to the Land of Morning Calm this fall, hopefully to teach (if I´m hired) at Kwandong University. If you´re still there I´d love to meet you! Let´s keepi in touch.

    Best,
    Kati

Leave a Reply