Galway

26 Sep

The drive from Cork to Galway was smooth and movie-like. Rolling green hills, picturesque mountains fogged the background. Cows, sheep, stray dogs, and random scattered ruins. The countryside was so beautiful. And me, with three lovely girls cruising with handrolled cigs pressed between our lips and heads bobbing to the feeling. It was incredible.

car

cows

We stopped at a few places. First, in Killarney at Ross castle.

We were a little giddy and pent up from the car ride so we, meaning kyle mostly, went crazy. Cartwheels, climbing stone castle walls, and photo ops ensued.


We learned about the castle. It was a private property built up to protect from invaders. My favorite part was the overhang, what’s it called, that allows poop to fall straight down to the ground so the poopsmith can shovel it away.
poopsmith

Back to the car. We continued our ride to the Dingle Penninsula. The road was as narrow, curvy and hilly as the Pacific Coast Highway in California, only shrubs line the road instead of sheer cliffs. We FINALLY saw the coast from the penninsula… b e a u t i f u l.
bea
ch
The beach was long and flat with tannish sand and rocky cliffs. The mountains that floated in the distance were surrounded by dense bits of fog and clouds. The water was warm, and I basked in its glory (to my ankles.)

My spirit was revived. I had felt very drained. Cities suck the life out of me. My power levels were at a total max after closing my eyes, breathing in the salinated air, and spinning a few times until out of breath.

We had a picnic lunch in the car that refueled our sleepy selves. Sheona showed us how she can eat her fist.
fist
We listened to Katie Melua and Frank Sinatra and sang our hearts out. Also, Thom somebody. I have to look him up. We drove our car right onto the ferry to the next stop on the coast.
don't throw!
AHHHH please don’t throw me over!
kiss
MMMMUAAAHHH.
queen sheona
QUEEN SHEONA

galway
Galway reminded me of a slice of the east village, just a little more quaint. We immediately hit up a pub for our FIRST REAL IRISH GUINESS!
GUINNESS
They swirled the foam in the shape of a shamrock, i felt immediately IRISH (drunk, angry, belligerent. joking.) I chatted with Codey, a Canadian boy who attended the failed attempt at Hellfest 2005 in Trenton. He was a true adventurer; biking the coast of Ireland… a l o n e. INSANE! He carried his stuff in his two saddle bags, and bought a really good road bike to ride with and take back to Canada with him.

We hung out in Galway for a few nights at different hostels, then at the same. Mandy and Sheona drove back to Dublin to catch a flight after a few days, and dropped us off in Athelone. Kyle has church friends who live here, who so kindly accepted us weary, hungry, and dirty travelers.

No comments yet

Leave a Reply