Athelone

29 Sep

Kyle has church friends, the Shirleys, who live in Athelone. They so kindly accepted us weary, hungry, and dirty travelers. We arrived and were settled into their daughter’s bunk beds. SO HAPPY.

Shirleys
THE SHIRLEYS and us: Kyle, Pauline, David, Lydia, and I

We’ve been taken care of so nicely at this “oasis in the dessert,” as Pauline says. Can you say va-ca-tion? We’ve been sleeping in, washing laundry, taking long and hot showers, and full meals! P has even accomodated for my vegetarianism, she is an ANGEL. Veggie-nut-soy patties, mushrooms, broccoli, and mashed potatoes. MMM. I’ve been helping out with dishes and cleaning whenever possible.

Since arriving we have:
1. Had coffee and sandwiches at the Hills (friends of the Shirleys)
2. Went to an “alpha” meeting at their church
3. Helped clean the Hill’s house for their ‘big move’ across town
4. Had a lovely meal with the Shirley fam
5. Got icecream with Naomi, a sweet Canadian girl who is interning at the Hill’s church
6. Watched ‘Monsters Inc’
7. Helped Pauline make ‘buns’ aka cupcakes with raisins and also pastries with jam and bun batter on top
8. Checked out the church sale

Everyone has been so great here. I often wonder if it is just the Christian folk, or the Irish folk in general? It’s weird to see families so enmeshed in their religion. Some say it is more a way of life, a sort of philosophy rather than a “religion” which has too many hypocrites. I worry that the kids live lives that are too sheltered. They will probably go crazy once they see a tiny bit of freedom and ‘real world’ on their own. They are totally secluded with all Christian TV, radio, music, film. TODOS.

The amount of love in the air is amazing, though. One defining event – Rachel asks Naomi to do something for her, but precedes it with a high-pitched sugary sweet compliment. She’s a true suck up. Naomi does what she asks, saying “You don’t need to suck up for me to do something for you.” Infinite Kindness. It seems the whole community is worry/stress free. It is a very healthy way of life. I’m intrigued. Not convinced, but definately interested.

Scotland arrived at about 10 am from the bus stop! Seing him for the first time was surreal and out of context. He came bearing gifts from the motherland: beef jerky for kyle, jeans, tshirts, lotion, and enough tea to be a merchant. He was tired and jetlagged, but was revitalized by Pauline’s wonderful cooking and tea.

Naomi, Kyle, Scot, and I hopped on a bus back to Galway around 5 pm. We arrived at our old hostel, the Sleepzone, and met up with Ruth and Mariona (who we met in Galway a week earlier) for a pint. The next day we caught the bus to the port, and arrived at the Aran Island Inismoor around 7 pm.

No comments yet

Leave a Reply