BootsnAll Travel Network



The final approach — 19 days

“Only 19 days left…”

“19 days left until what” you may ask?

“Only 19 days left until I’m temporarily free from this overcrowded miserable landfill site called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland” you may hear me reply.

I’m going to Africa, more specifically, I’m flying to Nairobi in Kenya, then heading down towards Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania, stopping to wander around wherever and whenever I fancy, after that I’ll be nipping across to Zanzibar by boat for a bit of therapeutic relaxation on the ‘spice Island’ before setting foot back on the mainland and heading across Tanzania towards Kigali in Rwanda. After exploring Rwanda I’ll head to Kampala and Jinja in Uganda, work in a refugee camp for a bit courtesy of one of my friends, help out with a school workshop… again, thanks Phoenix, then head back to Nairobi and then possibly home via a little sandy country called Qatar… If all goes to plan of course!!

So am I excited? I’m as excited as a compensation lawyer who’s just watched someone trip over their own shoelaces.

Am I nervous? A bit maybe, but only because things can go wrong and I’d hate to waste any time out there.

Am I scared?
Not even the slightest, I’m going to a continent where there’ll be much more smiles per square mile that some of the places I’ve lived… *cough* London *cough*

I know some areas I’ll be visiting will be dangerous and that at the last minute I might actually have an injection of fear, but I consider myself pretty streetwise and will be taking precautions, especially if I do decide to add Burundi and Congo to my choice of destination.
I may also decide to take up the year contract working as a teacher in Ethiopia that I have been offered… my 6 week trek may well turn out to be a year long mission.

There’s only one thing that’s bothering me… this awful waiting game, time seems to be slowing down and speeding up at exactly the same time. How is this even possible???
8 months of painful waiting is finally coming to an end, and before I know it, I’ll be meeting my friend in Nairobi for a mad mission around East Africa, another thing to be really excited about, I haven’t seen her since she left to volunteer in Uganda 8 months ago.

I REALLY, REALLY CAN’T WAIT!!!!



Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *